Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,865,755 Views | 38666 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by trouble
the dude10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I wouldn't hold it back. That's for limited editions or certain private selections you really enjoyed. I have passed on many bottles around $50 the past few weeks actually. I do enjoy bookers and already had an extra stashed so didn't see the need to buy another.

It's good, but nothing worthy of the attention it's currently attracting. I say this was a good marketing move by them. Those bottles surely would have sat there for a long time and instead bookers flew off the shelves right at the end of the year.

It's amazing what the impression of scarcity does to the consumer. I used to pass on weller 12 ALL THE TIME. It's good to me but never had what it took to make me choose it over a bottle of four roses or even Evan Williams single barrel. Yet when I got a call from one of my stores letting me know they had gotten some in at regular retail, I hopped in my truck and drove 40 mins round trip to grab a bottle that I had left sitting on the shelf a hundred times. Makes no sense but I did it.
Jrod05
AG
Has anyone tried the yippee ki-yay? By high west distillery? The guy says it's allocated but I haven't heard of it?
Post removed:
by user
Wheatables02
AG
third coast.. said:

it tastes like mouthwash, but good. its very....interesting.
This. I can't believe it's allocated. Check in at a few specs or Total Wines and you'll find it. It's good but not Midwinter Night's Dram good.
Jrod05
AG
Cool thanks guys. It was a distributor telling me so I took it with a grain of salt
plowboy1065
S
It's basically allocated to the majority of stores I've ever been in
bigevent99
AG
I had a new bourbon this week called "Taos Lightning." Pass on it next time you see it in a bar when you're skiing and want to try something new. You can thank me later.
SouthTexasAg06
AG
Wheatables02 said:

third coast.. said:

it tastes like mouthwash, but good. its very....interesting.
This. I can't believe it's allocated. Check in at a few specs or Total Wines and you'll find it. It's good but not Midwinter Night's Dram good.

Completely agree. Although, I think some of the Double Rye store picks I've had have been the closest to MWND of the HW lineup.
Jrod05
AG
I picked up a blantons but paid more at 75. Was that dumb? Want to drink it and my buddy said it's great
John Francis Donaghy
Jrod05 said:

I picked up a blantons but paid more at 75. Was that dumb? Want to drink it and my buddy said it's great

MSRP should be around 45-50. But it's hard enough to find these days that I wouldnt call 75 dumb. Just think of it as a $25 fee for the convenience of not having to go hunt out a regular priced bottle.
Chipotlemonger
AG

These are all good right? Looks like some that are mentioned often on here. Never had any of them.

This was at a place back on 10/1/16.

Edit: how does this group compare to itself?
the dude10
AG
I hope you bought both of those Elijah Craig barrel proofers that were just sitting on the shelf. I haven't seen one at a decent price in a long time. Could have been marked up I guess but the last one I saw was like $140
Chipotlemonger
AG
What's the MSRP on the bottles in this lot?

I wasn't there when this picture was taken unfortunately. But I now know where to keep tabs on.
John Francis Donaghy
Chipotlemonger said:

What's the MSRP on the bottles in this lot?

I wasn't there when this picture was taken unfortunately. But I now know where to keep tabs on.

Thr Sazerac and Weller in that pick are easy to find and readily available for under $30.

The Colonel Taylors may be somewhat difficult to find, but I can't tell which they are.

The Eagle Rares are good, and have gotten a little scarce. With a few phone calls you can almost always find a store that has it on the shelf, or you can ask your local store to call you when their shipments come in, either way you should be able to get it pretty easily almost any time for about $30.

The Elijah Craig Barrel Proofs in the right hand corner are very good, and very hard to find. MSRP should be in the $60 range, often goes for much more than that.
Post removed:
by user
Farmer1906
AG
I'd buy the eagle Rare because it taste like the nectar of the gods for only $30.
Post removed:
by user
tx4guns
AG
Yes you have. You may not remember, but you saw one.

third coast.. said:

id buy that eagle rare 1.75 just cause ive never seen one and i like giant bottles.

Farmer1906
AG
Anyone seen Wellers Antique in a while? I finally got some 12 and wanted to mix a batch of PMP.
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
plowboy1065
S
GG in Copperfield had a bunch of OWA last week
claybot
AG
Picked up a handle here in Dallas the other day. There were a couple left I think.
claybot
AG
Just walked into a liquor store I've never been in before, and started chatting with the guy behind the counter. He said "hold on just a minute" and walked back with an open bottle of Parker's Heritage Malt and gave me a pour. Damn it was delicious! Never had any of the PH before but now I've got to find some.
Post removed:
by user
Jrod05
AG
the place I got blantons at today said he had a 10 year pappy for 400. I said no thanks. do people pay that much for a 10 year pappy?

Edit- that's what I thought it was no pappy thanks man.
showtime
AG
No such thing as a "10 year Pappy."

There is a 10 year-old "Old Rip Van Winkle."

And it used to retail for between $29 and $39.

If anyone is paying $400, send them my way.
Post removed:
by user
schmellba99
AG
Went to Rosewater in Clear Lake last night with a buddy to enjoy a couple of drinks and solve world problems - had the following pours:

OF 1897 - Good, but not anything special. Reminded me a lot of Evan Williams SB - great up front, but pretty much nothing on the finish.

OF 1920 - Pretty good. Not sure I think it's as good as tx4guns does, but it was a good pour without a doubt. Would definitely pick up a bottle for a good price if i run across it.

Four Roses LE - hey, it's a 4R pour. It was friggin good.

Abraham Bowman - I've been wanting to try this and have passed up a lot of bottles for whatever reason or another, but will definitely pick one up next time. It was a hell of a good pour. Great flavor, smooth and an awesome finish. Nothing bad to say at all on this whiskey.

Booker's Rye - Damn. Damn, Damn, Damn, Damn, Damn. Damn. Phenomenal.
tx4guns
AG
Next time you go, you need to call me. There's a secret list.
schmellba99
AG
tx4guns said:

Next time you go, you need to call me. There's a secret list.
Pasha said hello, BTW. Had a good time talking with him again.
Jrod05
AG
Is lock stock and barrel 16 good? Readily available? Sorry for all the questions always have liked bourbon but started looking more
Ringo88
AG
Not worth the money.

If you're exploring Ryes, it's hard to beat Pikesville for a readily available bottle.
mts6175
AG
schmellba99 said:

Went to Rosewater in Clear Lake last night with a buddy to enjoy a couple of drinks and solve world problems - had the following pours:

OF 1897 - Good, but not anything special. Reminded me a lot of Evan Williams SB - great up front, but pretty much nothing on the finish.

OF 1920 - Pretty good. Not sure I think it's as good as tx4guns does, but it was a good pour without a doubt. Would definitely pick up a bottle for a good price if i run across it.

Four Roses LE - hey, it's a 4R pour. It was friggin good.

Abraham Bowman - I've been wanting to try this and have passed up a lot of bottles for whatever reason or another, but will definitely pick one up next time. It was a hell of a good pour. Great flavor, smooth and an awesome finish. Nothing bad to say at all on this whiskey.

Booker's Rye - Damn. Damn, Damn, Damn, Damn, Damn. Damn. Phenomenal.
Post removed:
by user
First Page Last Page
Page 210 of 1105

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.