Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,871,536 Views | 38733 Replies | Last: 2 min ago by rebelag62
wadd96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BSD, It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

How much did you pay for a glass at Bob's?

"Today, we showed the resolve of the United States. Today we made a statement to the world... That you can hit us, you can knock us down, but we're gonna get up. And when we do, we will find you and kick your ass!"
- Robert E Clark II, Cpt USN, Commandant of Midshipmen May 1, 2011
showtime
AG
I unexpectedly ran across a bottle of the Handy Sazerac Rye from the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection. I already have a few extras, and would be happy to trade for something else. Anyone interested?

Jim Murray did give it a record-tying 97.5 points in naming it whiskey of the year for his 2013 book.

http://www.whiskybible.com/pressrelease.htm
BSD
AG
Wadd, it was $69 for a tiny glass!
wadd96
AG
Holy Crap on a Cracker, BSD... did you at least get a courtesy reach around?

I mean, shiite, that stuff is great, but not $69 great!

"Today, we showed the resolve of the United States. Today we made a statement to the world... That you can hit us, you can knock us down, but we're gonna get up. And when we do, we will find you and kick your ass!"
BSD
AG
Nope, no reach around, not even a good glance of the bartender's cleavage. But it was my annual dinner up there so I didn't mind too much. I was guessing it would be $45-50 so I was a little surprised at the bill.
wadd96
AG
Damn... I got a bottle for the price of 3 glasses. Heck, at $40/per, it's the price of 4 glasses. That's one hell of a markup, even for a restaurant...

Macarthur
Got these as a christmas gift.

wadd96
AG
How much was the Red X? (And does it taste like Red Stag?)

Macarthur
Weird. The first time I posted it, I saw the pic.

It's 1792.
CajunAggie
AG
Burn-It
AG
Just got back from KY Bourbon Trail, WOW! If anyone wants specifics, send me a PM and I'd be glad to give you recommendations for B&B, restaurants, distillery tours, other tours, travel, etc.

The best bourbon we tasted during our distillery tours was Heaven Hill, Evan Williams single barrel 2000.

Bought a bottle of Woodford Reserve Four Barrel, can't wait to finish the Evan Williams before tapping that one. Nice facility and tour.

Maker's had the best tour, but not my favorite bourbon. it is a bit sweeter than most, which is probably why the gf likes it along with 1792. The tour included a mash tasting and got to taste the White Dog. Their store had the best swag of them all, great branding by Maker's.

Jim Beam tour was new & improved.

AKA 13-0
joshwayne330
@ Burn-it - Been thinking about doing the Bourbon Trail in the next few years. Yeah, the 2000 EWSB is a great pour. I still have 2 bottles hiding in the cabinet. Sorry to burst your bubble, but the Woodford Reserve 4 Wood was the biggest flop this year. Did you go to Four Roses? They are making some great juice and if you can find the 2012 FR Small Batch Limited Edition, buy it! Probably the top bourbon of the year..

[This message has been edited by joshwayne330 (edited 1/4/2013 3:34p).]
Burn-It
AG
No on Four Roses, will have t include that one with the next trip
C.C. Bay Ag
AG
Trying Blanton's for the first time: EXCELLENT stuff.

My will-remain-nameless liquor store owner told me he has Stagg and Pappy 15 and 20 (off the shelf) but I didn't bite the bullet... yet.

My main goal in life is to find a beer as cold as a woman's heart
joshwayne330
@ CC Bay Ag - "My will-remain-nameless liquor store owner told me he has Stagg and Pappy 15 and 20 (off the shelf) but I didn't bite the bullet... yet."

Is this liquor store offering the above bottles at retail prices or are they gouging?
C.C. Bay Ag
AG
I didn't inquire about prices. I'm too 'new' to the Bourbon game and not ready to make that leap, yet. Next time in I'll ask.

BusterAg
AG
Blantons = solid.

TexasDistillery
Wow! Looks like you guys really get excited about your Whiskeys/Bourbons.
Would love for you to give Rebecca Creek Whiskey a try and let us know what you think. Usually retails around $30/bottle. Sold all over the state of TX in most all liquor stores and quite a few bars and restaurants now. We also do free tours every Saturday and you can come check out how our spirits are made...plus you'd be supporting fellow Aggies!!!!!

Sponsor Message: It's not how you roll it's how you ROCK in 2013! Please ROCK responsibly and put some TEXAS in your glass with Enchanted Rock Vodka and Rebecca Creek Whiskey.
www.TexasVodka.com www.RebeccaCreekWhiskey.com Info@RebeccaCreekDistillery.com
wadd96
AG
If you were to give out free samples...

Just sayin' ;-)

powerbelly
AG
quote:
If you were to give out free samples

seconded
jobu93
AG
Just gave an amen to the free samples!
jobu93
AG
jobu93
AG
Mr. McGibblets
AG
quote:
Trying Blanton's for the first time: EXCELLENT stuff.

My will-remain-nameless liquor store owner told me he has Stagg and Pappy 15 and 20 (off the shelf) but I didn't bite the bullet... yet.

Sissy
K Bo
AG
Anyone tried 1835? I was at Spec's buying beer and a bottle of Rittenhouse and for $20 I figured I'd give it a shot.

REVIEW - gave it a shot and was pretty dissappointed. Did some reading and it's not even TX Bourbon. It's far too sweet and not what I'm after in a non-mixing bourbon. I'm glad I only spent $20. This will likely be consumed by friends or swallowed by ginger ale.

[This message has been edited by K Bo (edited 1/13/2013 8:27p).]
WhiskeyCharlie
quote:
If you were to give out free samples...

Just sayin' ;-)

Rebecca Creek does sampling events fairly often. They did free samples in our store and sold every bottle we had
joshwayne330
@TexasDistillery - Are you distilling your own whiskey to make Rebecca Creek or are you just sourcing it from Kentucky? If sourcing, what distiller are you using?

Also, I noticed on your label is says "Spriit Whiskey". Are you mixing other liquors besides whiskey into Rebecca Creek?

Thanks. Yours answers will help me decide whether your $30 asking price is worth taking the plunge and trying a "Texas" product.
proudaggie02
AG
There were several bottles of the Willett bourbon at my local store this weekend. I've never had it, but after reading some reviews, I will probably buy a bottle.

If anyone wants me to get them a bottle, just let me know. I've only seen this a couple times, so I'm not sure how hard it is to find. I can't remember if it was 8 or 9 year.

[This message has been edited by proudaggie02 (edited 1/14/2013 11:19a).]
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
quote:
Anyone tried 1835?

Yeah. It's garbage.
joshwayne330
@ proudaggie02 - Are you located in Houston? Are you referring to the Willett Single Barrel - Barrel Proof? If so, you cannot go wrong with either year!
proudaggie02
AG
^
Denver
Atty_Ag
I've held off on this a while, but as this is the Bourbon thread, I don't believe this product belongs here. I want Rebecca Creek to speak up and tell us why we should waste our money on a "spirit whiskey." The very name means that neutral grain spirits were added to whatever product you started with. Would you care to take us through your entire process from mash, to additives, to bottle?
Ducks4brkfast
AggieChemist
proudaggie02
AG
You know you are up against it when a guy that likes Garrison Bros is calling you out.
First Page Last Page
Page 16 of 1107

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.