Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,858,286 Views | 38598 Replies | Last: 8 hrs ago by ryeguy
Quantum ace
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
I've got a W12 1.75 that I will take......$150 for

I just traded a handle of W12 for a case of Bourbon County Brand Stout, so you are actually not far off.
Ringo88
AG
cjaetzold,
Good to hear; I purchased one for my brother-in-law's gift basket. Since the purchase I'd heard it received mixed reviews so I hadn't picked up a bottle for my own collection.
Can you describe the pleasant finish for us?
Hudson2508
AG
You just traded a Weller 12 for $250 of Rare beer? (Assuming by case you meant 24 beers)

Bourbon world is nuts.

BeardofZeus01
AG
My palate is not nearly refined enough to taste all the flavors like some of these internet reviewers, but for me, it finished very soft, no harsh astringent taste, with lingering vanilla, honey and pepper. It was nice to enjoy the sip as much as the lingering flavor. My future glasses will be neat, I preferred that to rocks even though both were enjoyable. Its a nice glass of whiskey but prob not entirely worth the money. I paid $79 (750 ml) for mine and would have been happier at $50-ish. especially when my daily drinker is George Dic kel 12 yr at $35 for a handle. But enjoy, half the fun will be breaking into it with BIL!

Edit: This was my first bottle of WRMC, anyone tried the Four Wood, Seasoned Oak, Maple or Sweet Mash? These seemed like interesting pours but are $150 on secondary market now ... too rich for an experiment IMO.
FlyFish95
I've seen people paying close to $200 for a single bottle of Bourbon County Beer...seriously.
Robert C. Christian
AG
quote:
I've seen people paying close to $200 for a single bottle of Bourbon County Beer...seriously.
Probably the Rare, but there is no way a regular bottle is going for that. Then again, W12 is going for $150.
Jock 07
AG
Yea, I'd say that has to be the rare. Don't think any of the variants, including proprietors, would command $200
FlyFish95
quote:
quote:
Probably the Rare, but there is no way a regular bottle is going for that. Then again, W12 is going for $150.
Don't know much about beer. Not sure it even matters. $180 for a single bottle of beer is just stupid.
Chipotlemonger
AG
quote:

If you step back and look at it, that's ridiculous.

I can go to the store and buy a <$20 bomber of a great stout. More alcohol and still really good.

I guess it's how much emphasis does one put on the Rare aspect of it...
Jock 07
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Don't know much about beer. Not sure it even matters. $180 for a single bottle of beer is just stupid.
not any more stupid as paying $500 for a <$100 MSRP bourbon.
No Bat Soup For You
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

You have to finish that $180 beer in one sitting once you open it. A bottle of bourbon should last a long time if you only break it out for special occasions.
Jock 07
AG
depends on the beer
No Bat Soup For You
AG
I thought the only beer that you could recap was that ridiculously high alcohol content one from Sam Adams. It's essentially a liquor.
Brenner
AG
Anybody know of any Smooth Ambler store selection bottles in Dallas? Bonus points for rye.

For that matter, any interesting store selection bottles around? I remember seeing a few store pick bottles of Angels Envy at the Lewisville Total Wine, but it was probably 6 months ago. No promise that they'll still have it.
htxag09
AG
Heads up, Houston wine merchant is doing their pappy raffle today. Don't know what all they have are prices, but in the past the prices were pretty close to msrp.
Shaggie 05
AG
POGO at Inwood and Lovers had SAOS 10 yr cask strength store picks when I was there Saturday.

I wouldn't be surprised if they sold out over the weekend. Their whiskey guy said it was going fast and they only had 2 cases left after I grabbed a couple bottles.

Also, not that interesting, but American Spirits in Addison has store picks of Buffalo Trace.

However, the Goody Goody essentially next door had a few bottles of Elmer T Lee at lunch just now. It's in a back office so you'll have to ask for it.
FlyFish95
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

You have to finish that $180 beer in one sitting once you open it. A bottle of bourbon should last a long time if you only break it out for special occasions.

Let's say you pay $1,200 for a bottle of Van Winkle. Your price/serving is a lot better for a 750ml bottle than a what you got out of that $180/beer.
AlaskanAg99
AG
I have a PVW 15 for sale for $1200. SW juice in it as well. Just in case there are any buyers looking.
joshwayne330
What year is PVW15? How do you know it's S-W?
Aggietaco
AG
Can someone indulge my laziness and help me out with a recommendation?

My FIL likes Woodford Reserve and Basil Hayden. Anything along those taste lines that might be a nicer selection? Obviously it's all about preference and I'd hate to spend a fortune on something that he doesn't like as much as his usual pours but I'd also like to get him something he may not buy himself. The other issue is availability.

TIA.
Jock 07
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Let's say you pay $1,200 for a bottle of Van Winkle. Your price/serving is a lot better for a 750ml bottle than a what you got out of that $180/beer.
Not sure I'm following, are you saying paying $47 an oz for bourbon is better than paying $11 an oz for beer?
FlyFish95
Ok, let me rephrase that. I don't think many people are going to drink an entire bottle of Pappy in one sitting. That's kind of what I'm talking about. A 12 oz bottle of beer is a one time thing. A 750 ml or 25 oz bottle of Pappy gets enjoyed on many occasions. Also, Pappy 15 is pretty much going for around $700 in the secondary market.
Jock 07
AG
I guess I'd have to respectfully disagree. I don't get into the whole beer trading/secondary beer market deal but there are quite a few beers out there that I can understand people wiling to pay that kind of money for. I can't really think of any 12 oz beers that get that kind of money either, they're typically 750ml or 16.9 oz bottles. Also, there are ways to reseal beers to make them last longer than one sitting (nothing like bourbon though).
Chipotlemonger
AG
How do you not get it?

Value being equal for the consumer on good beer and good bourbon, there is a huge difference in the consumption.

I can only open a bottle of beer once.... I can open a bourbon many times over many months, or even years. I can spread my enjoyment.
Jock 07
AG
I get it just don't find the argument valid. It's hard to understand how it's completely rational for someone to spend 8x the MSRP of a bottle of bourbon but completely irrational for someone to spend 2-3x the MSRP on a bottle of beer.
FlyFish95
quote:
I get it just don't find the argument valid. It's hard to understand how it's completely rational for someone to spend 8x the MSRP of a bottle of bourbon but completely irrational for someone to spend 2-3x the MSRP on a bottle of beer.

I think both are irrational. Like the above poster said, you crack a bottle of beer open one time and it's done, even it's a bigger bottle. A coupe of weeks ago I finally finished off a 2013 bottle of Eagle Rare 17. I enjoyed that bottle many, many times over a two year period. Two years ago, I paid $150 for that bottle and I've probably had 20+ servings out of it. 20 >> 1.
Jock 07
AG
quote:
quote:

I think both are irrational.
I can completely agree with that. I think the amount of time the bourbon lasts is why you see the 8-10x markup while beer is 2-3x markup
tfunk02
AG
quote:
Heads up, Houston wine merchant is doing their pappy raffle today. Don't know what all they have are prices, but in the past the prices were pretty close to msrp.

I'm here. They got way less than last year. 1 bottle of Pappy 20, one of 15, and a few ORVW 10 and lot b. No antique collection. About 6 bottles I might want so I'll leave if I am not one of the first ones picked. Fingers crossed!
Hudson2508
AG
My FIL recently gave me an old bottle of Weller Special Reserve 7yr Louisville, liter, 1995. Y'all have any idea how much it's worth (if anything) or how rare it is?
FlyFish95
If it's from 1995 it'll catch a decent price.
tx4guns
AG
Hudson, I'm your Huckleberry! If you want to sell, let me know.
Hudson2508
AG
I need to confirm the age but it matches this link exactly, including the bar code number.

http://whiskeyid.com/weller-special-reserve-7yr-louisville-1995/

I'd be interested in what you'd offer. Could fund some of my beer spending.
AlaskanAg99
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

I think both are irrational.
I can completely agree with that. I think the amount of time the bourbon lasts is why you see the 8-10x markup while beer is 2-3x markup

You n also have to account for materials, time and skill. A 15yr bourbon yields about 1/4 of the barrel. A LOT is lost to the angels. Beer, even aged, does have that kind of loss.

To the above poster, I've been sitting g on that bottle for 7 to 8 years. Which puts it around the time the last of the SW went into 15 yr packaging. It's missing stamping from later bottlings.

Can I absolutely prove it? Beats me, I can post photos of the bottle. I used to big into bourbon, before this stuff got out of control. Back then Lot B was $40 and 15 was $50. I'm not really going to sell but for $1200 I'd think about it. I mean, that's just stupid for whiskey.
GregZeppelin
AG
quote:
I need to confirm the age but it matches this link exactly, including the bar code number.

http://whiskeyid.com/weller-special-reserve-7yr-louisville-1995/

I'd be interested in what you'd offer. Could fund some of my beer spending.

Where are you located?
plowboy1065
S
An ORVW special bottling for the 124th Kentucky Derby just sold for $1000
First Page Last Page
Page 136 of 1103

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.