Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,857,391 Views | 38598 Replies | Last: 49 min ago by ryeguy
plowboy1065
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
You should be able to get the ORVW 10 for $300 and Lot B for about $350 on the secondary market. I wouldn't pay secondary prices but it's out there if you want it
beachfront71
AG

Secondary prices seem like thats all that is available ..
10 year in cali is going for 450..
plowboy1065
S
A few post above there was a link for 4RLE that I jumped on. It's $100 plus shipping but the secondary market is over $200 easily. I think it's a great buy
steve00
AG
That is a fantastic buy based in normal secondary costs that are $200+. If you look for a while you may be able to find ORVW10 around $250-300 in CA. $400 should be reasonable to find with out too much effort.
beachfront71
AG

any thoughts on Old Blowhard?

My buddy is saying that is the "harder to get" bottle right now..

He has the 26 for $400.00
FlyFish95
Heard it was like drinking a liquified tree stump.
FlyFish95
quote:
Would love to hear some thoughts on what everyone would purchase if you had $3-400+/- to spend per bottle. Less is obviously fine but what I have seen so far falls into this price range..--

What exactly are you seeing that falls into that range? Generally, anything selling for that price isn't readily available in store shelves year round. If you're buying Bourbon that sells in that price range you're paying a premium for scarcity and street hype, not quality. ORVW 10 is really good stuff, but if you're paying $300 for it, the difference in quality between that and other good bourbons you can fin year-round is not so much that it warrants such a massive mark up. You can get great quality for $50 or less.
tx4guns
AG
My recommendation would be to find a good store pick Four Roses or Smooth Ambler barrel proof and buy those as gifts. $65 tops, and better whiskey.
the dude10
AG
quote:
My recommendation would be to find a good store pick Four Roses or Smooth Ambler barrel proof and buy those as gifts. $65 tops, and better whiskey.

Exactly what I was thinking. Those are absolutely amazing values in that price range. Of course if you come across a GTS or WLW and are willing to pay that price, those are excellent as well. But you can get phenomenal bourbon for under $65 with just a little effort to call around.
the dude10
AG
Debs just down 183 from you has plenty of high end stuff. It's at a significant markup though. That's the store that pissed me off telling me he would hold a WLW at $199 then didn't call and doubled the price.
dmart90
AG
quote:
Debs just down 183 from you has plenty of high end stuff. It's at a significant markup though. That's the store that pissed me off telling me he would hold a WLW at $199 then didn't call and doubled the price.
Interesting - thanks. Been in there a couple of times and haven't seen a lot. Never have had much of a chance to chat with them, though.
trickyag
AG
New to this thread, lurker to it for 4 years. Bought the 20 yr OPVW in 2011 thanks to here for 145. Spotted a 10 yr of PVW and was quoted 435! Too rich for my blood.
FlyFish95
quote:
New to this thread, lurker to it for 4 years. Bought the 20 yr OPVW in 2011 thanks to here for 145. Spotted a 10 yr of PVW and was quoted 435! Too rich for my blood.

That's the trend line.
joshwayne330
Well the RR1998 sample came in. What a buzz kill! Nose of classic WT but the palate was dry and tanic. Zero finish. I am going to move my sealed bottle. Most reviews have been favorable but I am not a fan. To each is own...
Jock 07
AG
Am I the only one who prefers weller 12 over ORVW10?
Jock 07
AG
Oh yeah, and sometimes forging a relationship with liquor store workers actually works.

GregZeppelin
AG
quote:
Not at all. I think Weller 12 is superior to most of the VW line.
FlyFish95
quote:
quote:
Not at all. I think Weller 12 is superior to most of the VW line.

ORVW 10 over Weller 12 for me and it's not close. Now, if you're asking me would I prefer Weller 12 for $28 or ORVW 10 for $300, I'm going to other way.
FriedTex
AG
This football team has me drinking a lot of bourbon
Chipotlemonger
AG
quote:

This.
GregZeppelin
AG
quote:
Barrel proofers
joshwayne330
I think current W12 is a joke. Flavorless and watered down. I would rather have an OWA over it. A bit shocked that y'all would prefer it over ORVW10 even if price wasn't a factor.
FriedTex
AG
quote:
I think current W12 is a joke. Flavorless and watered down. I would rather have an OWA over it. A bit shocked that y'all would prefer it over ORVW10 even if price wasn't a factor.

I was wondering this ... I finally got some bottles and my first impression was meh. It's going into a mini barrel soon, but I was gonna keep one bottle to sip on its own
SouthTexasAg06
AG
My experience is the W12 improved greatly after aging in a mini barrel. I normally just use it to make PMP.
steve00
AG
I agree. ORVW10 is very good stuff. If I could get it at cost, it would be my everyday bourbon.
FriedTex
AG
Seems like a good deal. I'd get it but indiana has stupid restrictions on putting liquor in the mail. Never figured out how to get around that

https://www.caskers.com/old-scout-cask-strength-9-year-old-bourbon-caskers-exclusive-cask-2008/?utm_source=Caskers+Members&utm_campaign=e682313bf6-OldScoutEx&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_9cb813dba9-e682313bf6-20235037&mc_cid=e682313bf6&mc_eid=76902c7a0f
Post removed:
by user
steve00
AG
Picked these up this week from my shady liquor store guy.

No idea where he gets it. The WLW is 2013, and the other two are 2014. Should go nicely with my 2014 GTS and 2012 THH.
plowboy1065
S
What did you have to give?
steve00
AG
Just over an arm and a leg. It was secondary market priced for sure.
plowboy1065
S
I ordered one of the 4RLE that was posted a few days ago and it arrived today. I missed the FedEx but will be delivered to local office on Monday
austinag1997
AG
What is the general opinion on Very Old St. Nicks?
FlyFish95
Price not in line with value.
joshwayne330
Pretty sure it's a KBD product. Sourced mystery juice. Overpriced if it sells for more than $35. Export only?
BeardofZeus01
AG
Picked up a bottle of Woodford Reserve Masters Collection 1838 Style White Corn at Goody Goody earlier in the week. Had a chance to uncork it for the Cowboy game today and enjoyed it thoroughly ... both neat and with an ice cube. Smooth with a pleasant finish ... anyone else had an opportunity to try this offering?
First Page Last Page
Page 135 of 1103

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.