Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,866,381 Views | 38668 Replies | Last: 8 min ago by Pac1698
joshwayne330
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I took the plunge and grabbed a WTRR 1998. Yes, $250 retail price. 15 year, 102 proof is right up my alley. I can assume it's the best WT has to offer. Only 23 barrels used and smaller output than most VW bottling's. Grabbing VW and BTAC has been impossible this year. Why not?
FlyFish95
Tell us how it is.
Ringo88
AG
josh,
I wouldn't say "impossible", just darned expensive. Had to be a heavy purchaser of regular stock all year for store owners to offer up a bottle of VW this year.

Very curious on your review of the 1998 as well. Is it a keeper or a nice Christmas gift for someone else?
joshwayne330
Was referring to finding BTAC and VW close to retail as almost impossible. Sure, there are stores that are selling it from $300-$600, but I might as well buy it off the secondary market and have it shipped to my door.

I have an inbound sample of RR1998 heading my way on Friday, so I will report back. 90% of reviews have been very solid, but a few guys who have tried it that I know and trust there palate has not been Wowed by the first few pours. I am optimistic though. I will do some side by sides to see how it compares with a '91 WTRB, and WTRR private pick.
tx4guns
AG
You have a 1991 RB?
joshwayne330
91 or 92 - Jap release, yes.
joshwayne330
jsn1986
AG
Costco Liquor store up near The Woodlands got some VW stuff yesterday, apparently only ~4 bottles and I was told one of the guys who works there bought 2 of them for himself... sad day. They should all have pretty extensive email lists by no so prob too late to get on any others.
Ringo88
AG
Josh, I was, too.
All of my BTAC and VW purchases were at retail........I just have to forget the thousands I dropped in the stores to merit them holding a bottle or two for me.
Brenner
AG
I was at my fianc's grandfather's house over the weekend, and he had a couple really cool bottles. He doesn't drink any alcohol at all, and got some whiskey in the late 70s, early 80s that he stored in his gun cabinet. The first was some makers mark with gold wax, but the front label was torn off. The second was old weller 107 that had gold threaded through the glass on the bottle. I'm still working on getting him to open them up
No Bat Soup For You
AG
What's a good cheap bourbon?

I'm getting it for a few recipes that call for bourbon in them but I want it to be good enough to take a few swigs while I'm cooking. I've been using Bulleit Rye but was wondering if there was something. better in that price range.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Breckenridge Bourbon is great in that range.
Mathguy64
AG
quote:
What's a good cheap bourbon?

I'm getting it for a few recipes that call for bourbon in them but I want it to be good enough to take a few swigs while I'm cooking. I've been using Bulleit Rye but was wondering if there was something. better in that price range.

Define "cheap". Under $50? Under $30? Under $20?
No Bat Soup For You
AG
Under $30 preferably. Would go to $40 if it was a big difference from the $30 option. Probably 75% is going to end up in sauces.
FlyFish95
Elijah Craig 12
Weller 12
Makers 46
Willet Pot Still
Buffalo Trace
No Bat Soup For You
AG
I've got some Weller 12 but I save it to make poor man's pappy because it's so hard to find.

I'll probably try the Maker's next. Thanks.
tx4guns
AG
Brenner,

If he knew what those bottles are worth, he'd never open them. Send me an email.

info@1911-grips.com
Mathguy64
AG
Buffalo Trace
Eagle Rare
Four Roses Small Batch
Old Grand Dad 114
Larceny
GregZeppelin
AG
The four roses small batch and OGD 114 that math guy suggested are going to have higher rye contents than most bourbons, which will keep the flavor of your sauces a little more similar to what it was with the Bullet Rye you've been using.
plowboy1065
S
Does anyone else get excited as I do when I see replies on this thread?
GregZeppelin
AG
quote:
Does anyone else get excited as I do when I see replies on this thread?

Yep
iPanic
AG
Is Willett pot still worth a buy at $50?
FlyFish95
quote:
Is Willett pot still worth a buy at $50?

Not at $50
Ringo88
AG
What size bottle?
07ag
AG
Four roses small batch limited edition (2014) available right now on masterofmalt
plowboy1065
S
Good find, ordered a bottle
FriedTex
AG
quote:
Four roses small batch limited edition (2014) available right now on masterofmalt

Seems like a good deal - 45 bucks for delivery though

Is this bottle 150 dollars good?
plowboy1065
S
I've been looking for one and the only place I've seen is the secondary market for over $200
FlyFish95
The only Four Roses Limited Edition SmB I ever had was the 125th anniversary bottle and it was amazing.
dmart90
AG
quote:
What's the word on old Forester bottled in bond?

Worth the price?
I have both the 1890 and BiB. I liked the BiB better. Maybe I'll do a side-by-side this evening and post the results.
dmart90
AG
quote:
So far this year in Austin I have bought it for $199 and $97. I was still happy with my purchase at $199 because the reviews on it, including here, have been glowing. When I found it at $97 I was beyond thrilled. Anywhere in between and I would jump all over it. I think I paid top dollar the first time though and wouldn't go above $200 personally.
Where are you buying your hooch? I'm up in the Cedar Park / Leander area and there is almost never anything high end up here...
Streetfighter 02
AG
I have an exceptionally good friend in Maine who secured me a bottle of Thomas H. Handy Sazerac Rye as a Christmas gift.
aggiemike89
AG
quote:
I have an exceptionally good friend in Maine who secured me a bottle of Thomas H. Handy Sazerac Rye as a Christmas gift.
That's a good friend.
FlyFish95
I saw the BiB today for $46
beachfront71
AG

Need to purchase some bottles for Xmas gifts. Although I enjoy it, I am not a bourbon snob and would like some input on what you would purchase for someone who is ...

Was looking at the 10 year Van Winkle and a friend of mine who owns a few restaurants told me he has been stocking up on Old Blowhard out here in Cali and would sell me some.

Would love to hear some thoughts on what everyone would purchase if you had $3-400+/- to spend per bottle. Less is obviously fine but what I have seen so far falls into this price range..

I have read through some of this thread but .. its 130+ pages ..Not just looking for recommendations but I am guessing many of you know what is actually on the market right now and available .. some of this is really hard to find w/ waiting lists galore..

Appreciate it.

Edited for spelling--
First Page Last Page
Page 134 of 1105

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.