Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,850,003 Views | 38518 Replies | Last: 11 min ago by William Larue Weller
bar2157
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
quote:
Heads up, Houston wine merchant is doing their pappy raffle today. Don't know what all they have are prices, but in the past the prices were pretty close to msrp.

I'm here. They got way less than last year. 1 bottle of Pappy 20, one of 15, and a few ORVW 10 and lot b. No antique collection. About 6 bottles I might want so I'll leave if I am not one of the first ones picked. Fingers crossed!

Did anyone else have any luck? My number was called late and I walked away with a bottle of Blanton's. Could have done worse.

I was really hoping for a shot at one of the Antique Collection.
Hudson2508
AG
I'm in Austin.
Post removed:
by user
Jock 07
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
I get it just don't find the argument valid. It's hard to understand how it's completely rational for someone to spend 8x the MSRP of a bottle of bourbon but completely irrational for someone to spend 2-3x the MSRP on a bottle of beer.

I think both are irrational.
I can completely agree with that. I think the amount of time the bourbon lasts is why you see the 8-10x markup while beer is 2-3x markup

You n also have to account for materials, time and skill. A 15yr bourbon yields about 1/4 of the barrel. A LOT is lost to the angels. Beer, even aged, does have that kind of loss.

Absolutely, which makes sense for the initial price. But it doesn't necessarily explain the markup.
joshwayne330
Interested. Got plenty to trade. Had a handle from '95 that I finished and would like to replace
Hudson2508
AG
Edit: bottle is claimed

After doing some more internet research I think it's a 98, not a 95. I found a small 98 on the bottom of the bottle but not positive.
tx4guns
AG
Email sent.
Daytona22
AG
My number got called early enough that I got to pick up a bottle of ORVW! That place was packed so I was excited to get to pick that up.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
I got a $108 bottle of rye I could have bought for $29 in Canada.
jsn1986
AG
A friend I brought got a Lot B that she graciously gave me - tried to gift it to me for Christmas, but I was obligated to sneak $100 to her when she wasn't looking. Was pretty excited, think 3rd or 4th number that was called. Prices for the good stuff seemed to be right around retail, think it was $70 for the Lot B.
Daytona22
AG
Yeah. I was the fourth number called and decided on the ORVW because I still have half a bottle of Lot B from last year, the 2014 FR SmB LE, and already picked up the Parker's Malt. Just rounded out my collection. Sad to see they had a smaller allocation this year but I'll take it.
FriedTex
AG
quote:
quote:
I got a $108 bottle of rye I could have bought for $29 in Canada.

I heard that convo and I thought that was crazy. One of the reasons I avoid buying stuff a lot of the time. I just don't have the knowledge.
Price discrepancy has gotten to be too much these days.

I get 5 bucks here or there but I went into a store and they had a bottle of Bernhein (wheater from HeavenHill) for 54bucks! If I was new to the bourbon world I would have been mesmerized that this was some good stuff and would have lost my mind when I found out it could get it for 25 dollars anywhere else.
jsn1986
AG
Has anyone tried the Old Scout 10 Year Bourbon they had at Houston Wine Merchant? Looked like a private barrel, #1865.. pretty steep at ~$100, but I was tempted to pick it up before the crowd got too big.
Post removed:
by user
FlyFish95
quote:
Has anyone tried the Old Scout 10 Year Bourbon they had at Houston Wine Merchant? Looked like a private barrel, #1865.. pretty steep at ~$100, but I was tempted to pick it up before the crowd got too big.
Old Scout is great stuff. Not sure about their private barrel, but I have three bottles of cask strength stuff from another private barrel selection and it's very good.
GregZeppelin
AG
Old Scouts Barrel Proof stuff is great. But I had an Old Scout 10 Yr non-barrel proof that was very mediocre. That was a couple of years ago so maybe they're sourcing some higher quality stuff these days. But my general rule of thumb for Old Scout products after that purchase is to stick with their barrel proof products, even if they're younger.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
quote:

I grabbed a bottle a couple months ago. It's nothing spectacular. Not worth the money.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
jsn1986
AG
Thanks for the info. I have also heard great stuff about their BP releases, this one was ~95 Proof if I remember correctly. I prob won't make the trip to get it.
FriedTex
AG
quote:
Old Scouts Barrel Proof stuff is great. But I had an Old Scout 10 Yr non-barrel proof that was very mediocre. That was a couple of years ago so maybe they're sourcing some higher quality stuff these days. But my general rule of thumb for Old Scout products after that purchase is to stick with their barrel proof products, even if they're younger.
thats actually my perspective on most bourbons
Post removed:
by user
Ducks4brkfast
AG
damn. you just can't catch a break.
the dude10
AG
It's like the owners can sense when one of their precious bottles is about to slip away for less than an arm and both legs.
bigevent99
AG
Anyone had Amador? Finished in Napa wine barrels
Daytona22
AG
Did he just want to sell it for more or not sell it at all? That sucks...
Post removed:
by user
steve00
AG
These days that would cost you $750-$1k on the secondary market, so $250 would be an incredibly good price.
plowboy1065
S
Luckily got an ORVW for $89 last week and a WLW for $190 yesterday
GregZeppelin
AG
quote:
quote:
Did he just want to sell it for more or not sell it at all? That sucks...
not sell it at all. he seemed mad that i wanted to buy it. the clerk had already even given me the prices, about $250 total for both. since ive never looked at secondary and never seen it in a store, i dont even know if thats a decent price. I guess it doesnt even matter now.
An owner getting mad at a customer for wanting to buy his products at his own set price? What an ass. I'd never set foot in his store again, and I'd strongly consider filing a complaint with the better business bureau.
Post removed:
by user
plowboy1065
S
In laws live in Bay City. Guess I'm going to have to go look around next week
Post removed:
by user
GregZeppelin
AG
Makes no difference in my eyes. If it was so important to him that the bottles not be sold to general public, he should have taken steps to make sure they never made it into a customer's hands. Once they're in the hands of a paying customer, there is absolutely no excuse for taking them back and refusing the sale.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Post the name of the store and let's ruin that guys life
First Page Last Page
Page 137 of 1101

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.