Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,853,347 Views | 38543 Replies | Last: 10 hrs ago by TexAgs1992
Ducks4brkfast
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Jk!
Post removed:
by user
Daytona22
AG
End up finding anything?

A few of the stores I have been to in Houston keep saying that they are calling almost everyday but the distributor is still "allocating" to some of the smaller stores? Think there's any merit to this or have all the BTAC and PVW been distributed and gone for the year?
BSD
AG
Guys, I need some help. I need to get a bottle as a Christmas gift for a client. Federal regs require that it be less than $100 but he's a little white trash so I think ~$50 would be a good price point. He's out of state so I was thinking something from Texas would be good for him. Thoughts?
Post removed:
by user
BeardofZeus01
AG
quote:
Guys, I need some help. I need to get a bottle as a Christmas gift for a client. Federal regs require that it be less than $100 but he's a little white trash so I think ~$50 would be a good price point. He's out of state so I was thinking something from Texas would be good for him. Thoughts?

forget the bottle, send him a personal note letting him know he's "white trash" ... that'll likely warm his heart more than any bourbon could!!

In seriousness, send him some Makers Cask Strength ... easy to find and has the image/allure of being "better" bourbon. typically $50-ish for a fifth.
joshwayne330
Get him a bottle of Garrison Brothers if you want to keep it Texas themed - $75
joshwayne330
I think it's mostly been distributed. My guess is the reps are blowing smoke to the small store owners and there chances of getting any are slim by now.
Mathguy64
AG
quote:

In seriousness, send him some Makers Cask Strength ... easy to find and has the image/allure of being "better" bourbon. typically $50-ish for a fifth.
Its $50 but MMCS is a 375 ml bottle.
Mathguy64
AG
quote:
White trash = white dog. Get him a bottle/mason jar of the clear stuff or an Apple Pie shine.
jsn1986
AG
I'll paraphrase a graphic i saw on reddit: Novice level drinker - Weller SR, Buffalo Trace, Saz Rye, Four Roses Single Barrel (all should be under $50) Blanton's and EH Taylor if they like fancy packaging. For someone pretty well versed in whiskey - Weller 12, some of the HW outputs (Bourye, Double Rye?, Midwinter Night's Dram if you can find it) Bookers, Stagg JR... and probably my favorite Four Roses Store Select if you know where to find one (unfortunately I do not in Houston). If you want something from Texas I would recommend Balcones Single Malt. You can also get a Store Select Red River Single Barrel in the Spring area. I wasn't a fan of it, but always like finding store select bottles. Most people these days will push barrel proofs, but if your giving it to a beginner drinker I would avoid those.
joshwayne330
Reddit comes up with some funny stuff....
FriedTex
AG
quote:
quote:

Its $50 but MMCS is a 375 ml bottle.

No there are plenty of 750ml out there. Anywhere between 55-65 bucks
Mathguy64
AG
I've seen it in tons of places. Always 375ml and always $50. Where is it 750ml/$55-65?
jsn1986
AG
I thought it was a pretty decent recommendation list. I would avoid Weller SR, but otherwise pretty much all bottles I have enjoyed and most are pretty available. What would you recommend outside of Texas whiskey?
aggiemike89
AG
quote:

Specs has some bourbon called Sixth Street Bourbon. It's in a cool guitar shaped bottle. I think it's in the $60 range. Don't know about the juice. Haven't opened mine yet. Has a 6 year age statement on it. I'm sure it's some sourced juice but it's a neat novelty item.
Shaggie 05
AG
The shop I always go to finally called and is holding a ORVW 10 & a Thomas Handy for me. The fun(not fun) part is he's letting me offer up a price. Any thoughts on what I should offer for both?
BeardofZeus01
AG
I've seen fifths in the Goody Goody in Colleyville over the past 18 mos and they've been priced from $58-63. None there as of last week when I popped in though. Though they did have 750's and halfs of Willet Pot Still on allocation in the back. Paid $45 for a 750. Also picked up a Weller Antique 107 fifth for $29 ... thought that was pretty cheap considering the Weller craze right now.
FriedTex
AG
quote:
I've seen it in tons of places. Always 375ml and always $50. Where is it 750ml/$55-65?
north of the mason-dixon line. You boys in Texas always seem to have the better deals, so im surprised you havent seen it. 375ml goes for like 37 bucks here
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Whatever it may be I wish I were in a position to be consuming copious amounts of bourbon right about now.
Mathguy64
AG
No ****. December the 16th will go down as one strange day in Aggie history.
joshwayne330
I just thought the differentiation between novice vs well versed bottles didn't make sense. Why is W12 and HW Double Rye for well versed? Both are pretty weak and 1 dimensional. Where as FR SiB and EH Tayor are for sure more complex pours. Just think a lot of those are flip flopped.
FriedTex
AG
quote:
No ****. December the 16th will go down as one strange day in Aggie history.
you mean you dont want our school to go down to just one scholarship QB?? I'd be shocked if that happened though

---------
just went to premium - good god! what a clown show
plowboy1065
S
quote:
The shop I always go to finally called and is holding a ORVW 10 & a Thomas Handy for me. The fun(not fun) part is he's letting me offer up a price. Any thoughts on what I should offer for both?

80 for the ORVW and 160 for the Handy. That's more than double retail
Mathguy64
AG
Don't kid yourself. We have one scholarship QB on campus. And I keep wondering what other shoes are left to drop.
Shaggie 05
AG
That's was my thought as well. Usually a pretty cool guy, so hopefully he'll go for it.
joshwayne330
I would offer $250 for both. Above retail and still below secondary. And I would probably grab a couple shelf bottles while I was there for good measure.
FriedTex
AG
Well it's officially a Stagg Jr. Day. I'm gonna make it so I don't even remember that this day existed
plowboy1065
S
Barrel proofs are certainly in order after today
Shaggie 05
AG
Started at $240, he went $300, we settled on $265. Not retail, but a heck of a lot better than most and better than I'd find anywhere else (because I wouldn't find anywhere else mostly).

No need to buy extra today, I only got it because he knows me from buying enough from him all year.
the dude10
AG
What's the consensus on michter's barrel proof rye? Thinking about picking it up but it better be good at ~$80
plowboy1065
S
Sometimes you just have to go with the lowest you know you're going to find it. In the last two weeks I've found an ORVW for $89, WLW for $190, and today got a Lot B for $150. The lot b was priced at almost $400 and it took two weeks of haggling to get it down. Wasn't going to pass any of them up. Not retail but by no means secondary. Got some other really hard to finds at retail as well
SouthTexasAg06
AG
Ha! Was at the store getting my boss a bottle for X-mas, saw the Stagg Jr and was like f it, let's get drunk!
Jock 07
AG
quote:
That sucks, am I really in the minority where my guy sold me my handy for $80. Are most stores marking everything up?
the dude10
AG
I would say you are in the extreme minority. I didn't find a BTAC or Van winkle product priced under $300 and I visited quite a few stores. In fairness I didn't spend the time beforehand building relationships with all these stores, and the ones I have better ins with did not get any of these products. After this fall I had decided that BT fall releases under $100 were merely a myth
First Page Last Page
Page 138 of 1102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.