Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,833,528 Views | 38366 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by rca21978
plowboy1065
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Where can I find a crystal decanter in the Cypress Area?
Post removed:
by user
plowboy1065
S
Great thing I looked just before I was driving past the Macy's at 1960/249. Had a sale on crystal decanters
Post removed:
by user
No Bat Soup For You
AG
quote:

I remembered seeing this and had to come check to make sure MFBarnes didn't post it.
tx4guns
AG
^
|

Blue star for you, sir!
thecrab1331
Specs college station has a small amount of balcones baby blue and rumble on the shelf, saw it there today as I rolled through
Jock 07
AG
Plenty of 12 Weller both sizes and big antique at the JV Specs
plowboy1065
S
Anybody seen any EH Taylor? Looks like a 17 y/o being released by BT
Icecream_Ag
S
quote:
Anybody seen any EH Taylor? Looks like a 17 y/o being released by BT
goody goody at copperfield in Houston had some of the other EH Taylor offerings, not sure about this one though.
tx4guns
AG
Per my sources it should be released in Texas by late April.
plowboy1065
S
quote:
Per my sources it should be released in Texas by late April.
Post removed:
by user
Ducks4brkfast
AG
By coveted, do you mean taste good? Buy it and try it!
Post removed:
by user
GregZeppelin
AG
No, only the 17 and 18 yr Jefferson presidential, both of which are long gone from shelves, were made from old stitzel Weller stocks.

The others may be mediocre or they may be phenomenal, but they're not the super highly sought after ones.
K Bo
AG
quote:
No, only the 17 and 18 yr Jefferson presidential, both of which are long gone from shelves, were made from old stitzel Weller stocks.

The others may be mediocre or they may be phenomenal, but they're not the super highly sought after ones.
How about 21?
GregZeppelin
AG
I don't think so. I think the 21 is a higher rye recipe from another distillery that they started bottling after the SW stocks were gone.
Aggiejue
AG
Bacardi Limited acquires Angels Envy Bourbon. Let the next experiment begin.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20150330005580/en/Bacardi-Acquires-ANGEL%E2%80%99S-ENVY-Bourbon#.VRlQ75PF8Vs
Brenner
AG
Anyone else think this guy is a joke? Retail is $90 per bottle.

Edit: the video is of the guy that made Blood Oath, a new "ultra-premium" bourbon by an NDP
Icecream_Ag
S
quote:

Edit: the video is of the guy that made Blood Oath, a new "ultra-premium" bourbon by an NDP
so he takes other peoples bourbon, mixes them, then passes them off as his own????

Does that mean we could make poor mans pappy, then sell it for $85 a bottle as long as we "never tell where we found the bourbons"???

Brenner
AG
quote:
quote:

so he takes other peoples bourbon, mixes them, then passes them off as his own????

Does that mean we could make poor mans pappy, then sell it for $85 a bottle as long as we "never tell where we found the bourbons"???

If you watch the video, you'll want to bang your head against a wall at how he tries to justify it.
FlyFish95
quote:
quote:

Sourced bourbon, eh? Not all that uncommon.
schmellba99
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

This.

There are a whole lot of sourced bourbons on the market, nothing overly new or original. Some of the more popular bourbons listed on this thread alone are sourced.
Icecream_Ag
S
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

This.

There are a whole lot of sourced bourbons on the market, nothing overly new or original. Some of the more popular bourbons listed on this thread alone are sourced.
Maybe its just the way its written, but their website makes it sound like he takes "finished" bourbon from other producers, then mixes it with other "finished" bourbon and then says he created a new bourbon.

I understand taking a "raw" whiskey from Kentucky or Indiana, and then finishing it yourself. Kinda shady if you dont admit to not actually distilling the whiskey, but understandable. This guy seems to go beyond that and use already finished whiskey then selling it.
GregZeppelin
AG
Yep.

Noahs Mill, Rowan's Creek, The entire Jefferson's line, all of the Willetts, Black Maple Hills, & Michters, and many more of the labels that you see in your local bourbon isle are all whiskies that are purchased from actual distilleries by non-distiller producers, blended into a unique product, and then sold as such.
Joseydog
AG
Check this out in the awards for whiskey: http://www.ultimate-beverage.com

We are incredibly excited to win the Chairman's Trophy for our Lone Elm Texas Wheat Whiskey. We are Aggie owned and operated in Forney, Texas.

As a continuation of the thread above, we are a grain to glass facility (and have the silo to prove it).

FYI: If you look at the other Chairman Trophy winners, we are in some good company!

Cheers.
Brenner
AG
One of the first thing the guy says in the video is "right now is the perfect time to capitalize on the market because so many people are buying bourbon."

He then later says "blending the bourbons is just as, if not more important than distilling, and I'm not tied down to my own distillate"

He's openly admitting that he has taken all risk out of the process on his end, but still charges $90 per bottle! And on top of that, he's saying every buyer must buy 3 bottles at a time because of the packaging.

I know other big players do this, but Willet started distilling their own juice 3 years ago, michters and angel's envy are putting in stills. Smooth ambler sells Old Scout, but they also distill their own that they label Yearling.
plowboy1065
S
Sounds good. When should I expect the bottle you're going to ship for a TexAgs taste test?
dmart90
AG
We toured the Bowman Brothers distillery in Fredericksburg, VA, this past weekend. It wasn't a great tour nor was it a bad tour. It certainly does not have the style or history of a Buffalo Trace - it was quite a bit more industrial. They do have a master distiller on staff - they are expanding their line to include voodka and rum. Their old copper still is quite interesting. At the top of the pot, before the Lyne Arm, they have spiral copper tubing. They claim it results in more recirculation and a tastier juice. Their new still looks like a state of the art beast. They store their barrels standing up - not lying on their side - due to space constraints, which I thought was interesting. They do have special releases each year - labeled Abraham Bowman. I've never seen any of those around here (Austin area).

We got to taste test their small batch and single barrel offerings. The small batch is smooth - lots of vanilla and a bit of citrus. The single barrel is higher proof and quite smokey. We ended up bringing home a bottle of the small batch. It rated a 94 in the 2014 Ultimate Spirits Challenge, FWIW. I'd give it a solid B, which is not bad for a $30 bottle of bourbon.
dmart90
AG
Picked up a bottle of Walking Stick this weekend - haven't been able to find much about it on the ol' interwebs. Buttery toffee, vanilla, and citrus notes. Smooth. Not bad at all. I think is was $45 at Specs in Round Rock.

Of course, I was looking for the EH Taylor Cured Oak, but that appears to be no where to be found.
AggieChemist
AG
Pick my bourbon for the evening: weller reserve, EC12, poor mans pappy, or GTS14. You have 30 minutes before I pour.
FriedTex
AG
GTS 14. Enjoy the game properly
GregZeppelin
AG
EC12.

You can't drink the GTS14 because you agreed to send the it to your good e-buddy GregZeppelin as a gift.

PM me for shipping address.
the dude10
AG
quote:
EC12.

You can't drink the GTS14 because you agreed to send the it to your good e-buddy the dude10 for a respectable amount of money.

PM me for shipping address.

Fify
First Page Last Page
Page 110 of 1097

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.