Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,869,214 Views | 38692 Replies | Last: 16 min ago by Bulldog73
SouthTexasAg06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So what is the better option? Leave without a vacuum and not worry about the excess headspace or just leave the vacuum and get more evaporation?

By leaving the vacuum doesn't that essentially just speed up the process?
schmellba99
AG
No vacuum. You want temperature changes to open and close the wood and move the whiskey in and out so it can draw sugars and tannins out.

Small barrels don't take much time - I usually age in the 3-4 month range and have pretty solid results with mid grade bourbons.
steve00
AG
quote:
where are ou? id be glad to buy you as many bottles as you want of both for exact cost plus shipping, my store has cases and cases of each

I'm in CA. Thanks for the offer. If this turns out to be good I may want to take you up on it.
redd38
AG
quote:
Found a bottle of weller 12 here today for 28 bucks. What's the going rate back in Texas?
That's what I paid last week at Specs here in Texas. This area (College Station) doesn't seem to have a high demand for it though, it's easily available.
Icecream_Ag
S
weller 12 was all over the Copperfield area of Houston this weekend. Weller Antique was nearly impossible to come by though.
redd38
AG
Oddly enough Specs had tons of Weller 12 but not Weller Antique, Twin Liquor had tons of Weller Antique but no Weller 12.
Ezra Brooks
AG
My Specs in Kingwood has many bottles of '12 but no OWA on Tuesday.

I picked up a bottle of the '12 and I'm really impressed. I like it a lot more than the Eagle Rare bottle that I had before this.

Very good for the pricee.
the dude10
AG
I am back from Kentucky and just getting time for a report. I am going to start off by saying dmart90 gets major props for the Westport Whiskey and Wine recommendation. The tasting room is ridiculous and very moderately priced compared to everything else. Their tasting pours are 3/4oz but at the price point you can taste anything your heart desires. A tasting of the whole pappy line was $42 and those were only 1/2oz pours but I can now say I have tried all of the Pappy Van Winkle bourbons.

We got there Wednesday and that night got 2ft of snow, so all the distilleries were closed Thursday and most on Friday. We were only able to fully tour Makers and Buffalo Trace and got an abbreviated tour at four roses. Abbreviated tour means watch a short video. We also did a short tasting at Heaven Hill and drove by to look around at Woodford, wild turkey and jim beam. We took the day Thursday with everything being closed to do some shopping. We loaded up on 6 recipes of the Four Roses Private select, an old scout single barrel, rock hill farms single barrel, and stumbled upon a 2014 FR LE small batch. I couldn't believe the guy still had one in the back.

Through a combination of Westport Whiskey and Wine, some bars, and the heaven hill tour I was able to try the following amazing bourbons...
Heaven Hill Select Stock, Elijah Craig 23, William Heavenhill, Lost Prophet, Angel's Envy Cask strength, Pinhook, Bookers 25th, Old Forester Birthday 2013, Old rip van winkle 10, Lot B, Pappy 15, Pappy 20, Pappy 23, 2013 Eagle Rare 17, Four Roses 125th, 2012 and 2014 Handy, Parkers Heritage Promise of Hope, Elijah Craig 21, and 2014 George T Stagg.

It was quite an experience to be able to try all of these great selections so closely together. All of them were truly amazing bourbons. I would have to say that my favorites of the whole list were the 2014 Stagg and the EC21. They were truly next level. This was my first taste of Pappy and though it was very good, it was so smooth and seemed to lack the complexity of some of the others I tried. I did enjoy them thoroughly, but also decided I am not willing to pay what it costs these days to get a bottle. The FR 125th was awesome, but so was everything else on this list. Probably the biggest surprise to me was the AE cask strength. I am not normally a fan of AE but the cask strength is like a totally different bourbon. Very good.

I was slightly disappointed because at the heaven hill tasting we did try the HHSS, EC23, William Heavenhill and Larceny but it was a very rushed experience so by the time I got to the HHSS and EC23 my taste buds were a bit tingly and hot so I wasn't able to get the full experience on those. All in all it was an awesome trip even with the weather slowing us down and I will definitely be making a trip back at some point when it is a little closer to summer. Thanks everyone for the recommendations and knowledge I have picked up reading this thread since I started drinking bourbon.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
The specs I stopped into today was flush with W12 and 107.
CrottyKid
AG
Which one of you is this?
http://www.wkyt.com/home/headlines/Franklin-deputies-charge-suspect-after-large-theft-at-bourbon-distillery-296065891.html?device=phone&c=y
Jock 07
AG
quote:
Which one of you is this?
http://www.wkyt.com/home/headlines/Franklin-deputies-charge-suspect-after-large-theft-at-bourbon-distillery-296065891.html?device=phone&c=y
Seems that there would be a decent chance this guy could have been involved in the pappy theft.
Post removed:
by user
AggieChemist
AG
GregZeppelin
AG
quote:

My house is getting crowded, can I move into yours?
ATL Aggie
AG
This is my first time posting in this thread. I have been more of a scotch drinker because thats what my parents drank. I am now exploring bourbon (and rye). My two favorites so far are Basil Hayden and Angles Envy. Bulleit is high on the list of what I liked. I just tried Buffalo Trace for the first time yesterday at someone suggestion and was underwhelmed. I will give it another try but I think I am going to delegate that bottle for mixing cocktails.

What should I try next? I would like to stay under $50. I keep hearing about Four Roses Small batch (which I have seen locally) and Weller 12 (which I hear is next to impossible to find).
Icecream_Ag
S
quote:
quote:

My house is getting crowded, can I move into yours?
just post your address. I'll move into the guest room and leave a check for rent.
GregZeppelin
AG
Under $50 leaves the door open for a lot of really really good bourbons.

If you're into both bourbon and rye these days, then I would definitely give the Four Roses Small Batch a try, as it's very rye heavy, and tastes almost like a full blown rye whiskey.

Weller 12 is one of my all time favorites. And you're in luck because as hard as it's been to find recently, shipments just went out, and many stores that haven't had any in months have plenty. But I'd go soon, as in today or tomorrow, because that probably won't be the case for long. My local Goody Goody even had a couple 1.75's in stock yesterday. (notice I said "had").

For other great pours under $50, I'd suggest Rock Hill Farms or Blantons (Both ~$40), which are made at Buffalo Trace, but using a higher rye recipe than than the flagship Buffalo Trace product that you didn't care for, they're pretty similar to one another, but the Rock Hill Farms is 100 proof, while the Blantons is 90.

Those three should give you a pretty good idea of the three branches of bourbon out there: high rye (Four Roses), Wheated (Weller), and a more traditional mash (Blantons/Rock Hill). The Buffalo Trace you didn't like is also a traditional bourbon mash, but is higher on the corn content than most, which I think tends to show through, which probably explains why it didn't appeal to your scotch palate. The Balntons/Rock Hill dial that back some to a more balanced product.

Also, I really like Elijah Craig 12 (~$28), I think it's a phenomenal traditional mashbill bourbon for the price. Well aged, and just an all around well rounded bourbon.
ATL Aggie
AG
Thanks Greg, very informative.
dmart90
AG
quote:
I am back from Kentucky and just getting time for a report. I am going to start off by saying dmart90 gets major props for the Westport Whiskey and Wine recommendation. The tasting room is ridiculous and very moderately priced compared to everything else. Their tasting pours are 3/4oz but at the price point you can taste anything your heart desires. A tasting of the whole pappy line was $42 and those were only 1/2oz pours but I can now say I have tried all of the Pappy Van Winkle bourbons.

We got there Wednesday and that night got 2ft of snow, so all the distilleries were closed Thursday and most on Friday. We were only able to fully tour Makers and Buffalo Trace and got an abbreviated tour at four roses. Abbreviated tour means watch a short video. We also did a short tasting at Heaven Hill and drove by to look around at Woodford, wild turkey and jim beam. We took the day Thursday with everything being closed to do some shopping. We loaded up on 6 recipes of the Four Roses Private select, an old scout single barrel, rock hill farms single barrel, and stumbled upon a 2014 FR LE small batch. I couldn't believe the guy still had one in the back.

Through a combination of Westport Whiskey and Wine, some bars, and the heaven hill tour I was able to try the following amazing bourbons...
Heaven Hill Select Stock, Elijah Craig 23, William Heavenhill, Lost Prophet, Angel's Envy Cask strength, Pinhook, Bookers 25th, Old Forester Birthday 2013, Old rip van winkle 10, Lot B, Pappy 15, Pappy 20, Pappy 23, 2013 Eagle Rare 17, Four Roses 125th, 2012 and 2014 Handy, Parkers Heritage Promise of Hope, Elijah Craig 21, and 2014 George T Stagg.

It was quite an experience to be able to try all of these great selections so closely together. All of them were truly amazing bourbons. I would have to say that my favorites of the whole list were the 2014 Stagg and the EC21. They were truly next level. This was my first taste of Pappy and though it was very good, it was so smooth and seemed to lack the complexity of some of the others I tried. I did enjoy them thoroughly, but also decided I am not willing to pay what it costs these days to get a bottle. The FR 125th was awesome, but so was everything else on this list. Probably the biggest surprise to me was the AE cask strength. I am not normally a fan of AE but the cask strength is like a totally different bourbon. Very good.

I was slightly disappointed because at the heaven hill tasting we did try the HHSS, EC23, William Heavenhill and Larceny but it was a very rushed experience so by the time I got to the HHSS and EC23 my taste buds were a bit tingly and hot so I wasn't able to get the full experience on those. All in all it was an awesome trip even with the weather slowing us down and I will definitely be making a trip back at some point when it is a little closer to summer. Thanks everyone for the recommendations and knowledge I have picked up reading this thread since I started drinking bourbon.
Sounds like an AWESOME trip! Glad to hear Westport Whiskey and Wine worked out for you. You said you got to taste Pinhook? How was it? I have an unopened bottle...

How did you like the Seelbach? I thought it was a really cool, grand, old hotel.
dmart90
AG
quote:

Wow! Where'd you find that?
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
quote:

Even if it's not yours and you're just holding it for the pic, I still starred your post. My hands would be trembling if I was holding that bottle.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
How's it taste?
joshwayne330
Yeah, is it gonna get opened or a museum piece?
aggiemike89
AG
That certainly looks "Very Old" indeed.
bonfiresmoke
Under $50 I would try Rowan's Creek and for even less Evan Williams Single Barrel.
aggiesherpa
AG
I'm a compete idiot, just reread your post and saw you already mentioned BH, of which I am a fan.
txag2008
AG
in Dallas
Mathguy64
AG
I believe I have invented a new drink. Take the leftovers from a bottle of Sazerac (about 1.5 oz), the leftovers from a bottle of Col Taylor (about 1.5 oz), add 2 oz of cask strength Makers Mark, 4 dashes each of Peychauds and Orange bitters, 1 tbsp of agave nectar, 2 Luxardo cherries. Drop in a couple of cubes of ice. Stir and strain ice off.

One sip makes the lip tingle. A big gulp and fingers go numb. All the while I'm sitting outside watching the boy mow the yard.
proudaggie02
AG
^
AggieChemist
AG
Sounds like a newfangled old fashioned.

My score of the day was a 1.75L weller special reserve for $30. Woohoo.
Jock 07
AG
quote:

You appear to have large hands.
redd38
AG
I had my first pour of Poor Man's Pappy to celebrate March Madness.
tx4guns
AG
Had a few pours yesterday...

plowboy1065
S
At the Specs on Hwy 6 close to 290 and it has plenty of Weller 12 and Antique
Robert C. Christian
AG
Picked up a Weller 12 yesterday in Dallas at the Specs off 75 and Spring Creek. Looking forward to trying it this weekend.
First Page Last Page
Page 109 of 1106

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.