Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,865,315 Views | 38666 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by trouble
the dude10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thanks for the recommendations. I am sipping on 2014 stagg right now and I can confirm it is phenomenal. At 69.05% it is very smooth. The comment about mouth feel is dead on as well. $20 for a pour and I feel like I got a bargain.

Also at heaven hill today I saw a few bottles of EC23 for $279.99. They were done with tours for the day but if I can make it back they have a tasting heavy whiskey connoisseur tour that includes the EC23. Snowstorm is threatening to slow us down tomorrow currently
FriedTex
AG
quote:
The '14 Stagg is rumored to be one of the best offerings they have ever bottled.

Just finished off a bottle this past weekend. Glorious!

Also got a hold of MMCS, I stand corrected, that is a great wheater
Post removed:
by user
oneoutofmany
AG
quote:
Sitting at makers mark waiting for the tour to start...

Going to some bars later this week that have all the BTAC from the past few years. Which of these offerings would be considered the best from each year?
How was the tour? I'll be in KY next week and have been thinking about going there specifically. Have heard it's one of the better tours.
oneoutofmany
AG
quote:
Thanks for the recommendations. I am sipping on 2014 stagg right now and I can confirm it is phenomenal. At 69.05% it is very smooth. The comment about mouth feel is dead on as well. $20 for a pour and I feel like I got a bargain.

Also at heaven hill today I saw a few bottles of EC23 for $279.99. They were done with tours for the day but if I can make it back they have a tasting heavy whiskey connoisseur tour that includes the EC23. Snowstorm is threatening to slow us down tomorrow currently
You see anything else worth picking up at Heaven Hill? Worth a visit in general? They have any of the recent ECBP release?
schmellba99
AG
I haven't opened my '14 Stagg yet. And the MMCS is pretty solid as well - much better than I anticipated.

schmellba99
AG
If you see some Heaven Hill Select Stock for a reasonable price (under $200 or so), pick it up. It is the single best pour I have ever had. Blew Pappy 20 out of the water in my opinion.

The pour of EC21 that tx4guns let me mooch was also phenominal. Probably one of the smoothest drinks I've ever had, and outstanding on flavor. I'd put it up against any PVW 15 or PVW 20 any day of the week. Can't say about the PVW 23 as I've never had a pour of that one.

I've also heard that the William Heaven Hill selection is pretty solid as well, but that is just stuff I've read.
tx4guns
AG
Wait until you try that Stagg... makes the HHSS taste like Old Crow.
Stoli7
Picked up a bottle of weller 12 and the guy behind the counter pulled out a bottle of pappy 20.

Wouldn't sell it though he was saving it for a friend opening a restaurant.
Post removed:
by user
SouthTexasAg06
AG
Finally found a bottle of Weller 12 to mix with my OWA to make some Poor Man's Pappy.

Before:

After:

I only put 1250mL in my 2L barrel so used a vacuum pump to take out the excess air. Will evaluate after 3wks.
Stoli7
Debbs liquor in bmt.

He said he had the bottle for a few months.

We started talking about pappy so it pulled out the one he had.
jsn1986
AG
There might still be a bottle of the 23 in The Woodlands - for the low low price of ~$3k.... guy said he was going to keep it for himself unless someone wanted it for his price.

Also, if anyone in the Houston area has a bottle of the 2014 Stagg I'd love to trade for another. Probably have ~ 10 unopened bottles I could look to swap.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
quote:
There might still be a bottle of the 23 in The Woodlands - for the low low price of ~$3k.... guy said he was going to keep it for himself unless someone wanted it for his price.

Also, if anyone in the Houston area has a bottle of the 2014 Stagg I'd love to trade for another. Probably have ~ 10 unopened bottles I could look to swap.
email me

edit thanks
AggieChemist
AG

Sources report that Pappy has not survived this tying session.
FlyFish95
GTS '14 is very good, but isn't it always?
schmellba99
AG
quote:

I am sure it is good.

But you cannot be trusted on tastw. You dislike oak, and you are such a BT homer i am afraid you have become jaded.
schmellba99
AG
I am not sure i would pull a vacuum on the barrel. Seems like that would inhibit movement inside.

AggieChemist
AG
It will just evacuate the headspace thus increasing evaporation. #equilibrium
AggieChemist
AG
Just opened my '14 Stagg.

Wow. That does NOT drink like 140 proof.
West Texan
AG
So I saw a bottle of Straight Edge Bourbon at the liquor store tonight. Anyone ever heard of it or had it?
tx4guns
AG
I am not a Buffalo Trace homer. I prefer Wellers that are pre-BT. They just happen to make some of the best current limited edition bourbons on the planet. It's all relative to the era. With that said, there are releases that stand alone. Four Roses 125th, Bookers 25th, and now Stagg 2014, for example. These are the whiskeys people remember.
Post removed:
by user
Ducks4brkfast
AG
It's right there.

Next to the pappy van winkle.
Post removed:
by user
FriedTex
AG
quote:
where in the hell would i find stagg 2014?

You don't. You just get lucky as hell, found mine on a business trip to Sioux Falls - just sitting on the shelf for 75 bucks. Glorious
FlyFish95
quote:
quote:

I am sure it is good.

But you cannot be trusted on tastw. You dislike oak, and you are such a BT homer i am afraid you have become jaded.
Well, I've got a bottle of HHSS and I don't think it makes my '14 Stagg makes it taste like Old Crow
schmellba99
AG
I know tx4guns was being somewhat facetious with his comment. So was I with mine about him being a BT (should have said S-W) homer.
Quantum ace
AG
I'd bet he would turn down anything that BT sourced from Bernheim either.
Jock 07
AG
Found a bottle of weller 12 here today for 28 bucks. What's the going rate back in Texas?
tx4guns
AG
$25 or less. And Quantum Ace, you bet your ass I'd buy up every drop of Bernheim Weller, but the problem is joshwayne keeps buying them all up around town and not leaving any for us.
schmellba99
AG
Explain to me what makes a Bernhiem or SW produced Weller 12 so much better than a BT produced Weller 12.

I get that they aren't made anymore, so there is the rarity aspect of them. I get that there may be nostalgia involved knowing that this is what your dad or grandpa drank, or that a particular master distiller is the one that made this over the current guys. I get that bourbon has exploded in popularity and sourcing dusties is a game that many enjoy doing and that plays into it.

I've had some of what tx4guns offered, and my palate is not good enough (plus we didn't have a current distill to compare side by side to) to distinguish why an older one is so much better than a newer one.
tx4guns
AG
Only way to know is to drink them. It's better. That's what my tastebuds tell me.
steve00
AG
After looking forever, I finally found a bottle of Weller 12. Ordered a fresh barrel and will be aging some Poor Mans Pappy. Interested to see how it stacks up to the real stuff.

Post removed:
by user
First Page Last Page
Page 108 of 1105

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.