Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,923,179 Views | 39283 Replies | Last: 5 min ago by srob2004
Jrock76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone have thoughts on belle maude?
Lot Y Tailgate
AG
quote:
I have a bottle I would part with. I'm in Cypress
Shoot me an email, username, no spaces @gmail.com
jsn1986
AG
I'll check if the ECBP is still there tomorrow. I can't PM, but drop an email and I'll let you know.
plowboy1065
S
Email sent
aggiemike89
AG
What's your email jsn?
jsn1986
AG
Sorry thought it was in my profile
Atty_Ag
FYI - The Twins $1 sale starts today.

Pickings were kind of slim.
Stan Crowch
AG
Lots of Weller 12 at I10 and Beltway 8 Specs for anyone who is interested.
Post removed:
by user
K Bo
AG
Smith St has a full shelf of W12, too
Post removed:
by user
aggiesherpa
AG
Anybody come across W12 in Dallas?
redd38
AG
Twin Liquors in College Station has a ton of Weller 12, even during the $1 sale.
Shaggie 05
AG
Looked at a couple places in Addison and Total Wine at Park lane with no luck. Thought I was going to strike out at the Walnut Hill Spec's, till I stopped to check out the high end locked bourbon cabinet and sure enough in the bottom, a handful of w12. Limit of one bottle - guy said it was the first they'd gotten in 3+ months.
aggiesherpa
AG
Looks like I'm gonna have to venture over there, thanks for the heads up!
aggiemike89
AG
Weller 12 under lock and key? WOW!
redd38
AG
I don't understand Weller 12, it's pretty good and cheap, but not worth all the hubbub. I'm not sure if I should go stock up or stand back and laugh at the crazies.
tfunk02
AG
quote:
I don't understand Weller 12, it's pretty good and cheap, but not worth all the hubbub. I'm not sure if I should go stock up or stand back and laugh at the crazies.
IMO, it's only worth it when mixed with Weller Antique 60:40 with the Weller 12. You have to give it at least a week or two to mingle. Maybe I'm crazy, but the combination is much better than either on their own. I wasn't a believer until I tried it.
Ezra Brooks
AG
I've got to think that that's the allure - mixing it to be the "Poor Man's Pappy".
Whoop04
Yeah, combined with the sky rocketing price of PVW.
Ezra Brooks
AG
Is Old Weller Antique hard to come by &/or pricey as well?

I've read about the "Poor Man's Pappy" and half considered giving it a shot - but it's become apparent from this thread that that is becoming harder to accomplish as well.
tfunk02
AG
Weller Antique 107 is much MUCH easier to find than Weller 12, but not as easy as Special Reserve.
aggiemike89
AG
I've heard of this before but never tried it. Do you vat it or barrel it? Is it 60/40 W12 and Antique? Might try barreling and I would be curious if anyone has barreled it? I have some ORVW 10 and 12 from 2012 forward I would like to try it up against.
tx4guns
AG
60% OWA, 40% W12. Vat for a minimum of 17 days. I shake it up every couple days at first.
plowboy1065
S
I've read of others just mixing it in a glass decanter and letting it sit
GregZeppelin
AG
Make sure it's not a leaded crystal decanter.

Letting something sit in a leaded crystal decanter fr long periods of time will allow the lead to leach into the liquid and over time the lead content of the whiskey can get pretty significant.

Drinking glasses don't really matter because the liquid isn't in them long enough for the lead content to have any real impact.

Just a heads up.
Quantum ace
AG
"Vatting" generally means "pour ingredients into any empty glass bottle with a screw top". I use an older 1.75L OWA bottle that actually has a handle.

I have aged the 60/40 blend of OWA/W12 in a mini barrel for a couple months. It resulted in a noticeably smoother product, but not necessarily better to my taste. Just giving the blend a couple weeks in a glass bottle keeps me pretty happy.
tfunk02
AG
I use a big Mason Jar.
schmellba99
AG
I've done a Weller Special Reserve and Weller 12 vatting - mostly because I screwed up and bought SR instead of OWA.

Aged/vatted it in one of my mini barrels for about 3 months. It was pretty solid - very smooth and had a better flavor, more oak and a better finish.
the dude10
AG
Sitting at makers mark waiting for the tour to start...

Going to some bars later this week that have all the BTAC from the past few years. Which of these offerings would be considered the best from each year?
schmellba99
AG
The '14 Stagg is rumored to be one of the best offerings they have ever bottled.
tx4guns
AG
Stay away from all the 2013 bottlings of BTAC, except Handy. 2014 Stagg is epic. 2012 and before WLW are also very good. 2013 Handy was excellent.
jsn1986
AG
quote:
The '14 Stagg is rumored to be one of the best offerings they have ever bottled.
Can confirm, probably the best dram I have ever had. Would recommend neat in a glencairn and let it breathe for about 10 mins. The mouth-feel is just insane.
tx4guns
AG
If that bar has the 2013 Four Roses 125th anniversary limited edition small batch, 2013 Old Rip Van Winkle 10 year, Bookers 25th, or Heaven Hill Select Stock, do yourself a favor and try those, too.
iPanic
AG
quote:
Twin Liquors in College Station has a ton of Weller 12, even during the $1 sale.
There wasn't any at Twin but there was plenty at Specs. I was at both today.
First Page Last Page
Page 107 of 1123

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.