Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,681,909 Views | 62665 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by HowdyAgs03
jetch17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Have another one... gettin hypnotized

Quincey P. Morris
AG

This was interesting. I'm never really sure about the mint beers.
MW13
AG
Over quarantine I've found Miss Marmalade a Martin House sour with lactose and citrus and Commitment an imperial stout from St Arnold's. I thought both were very good and good deals as well. Miss Marmalade checks in at 7% and Commitment at 13.4. At least this thing is giving me time to explore some new beers.
maca1028

Made a run today
JamesBREI06
AG
maca1028 said:

Made a run today
Whoop!
IronRed13
AG
Miss Marmalade is adult Ecto Cooler. Delicious
Chipotlemonger
AG
Nice little driveway beer here

Stringfellow Hawke
AG

maca1028
Chipotlemonger said:

Nice little driveway beer here

Awesome brewery! Love me some Portland beers!
jgh85Ag
AG
What are the worst beers you have had?

Mine are:

Martin House Azathoth. Menthol does not belong in a beer. Tasted like mouthwash.

Jester King Snorkel. A mushroom and sea salt beer. Tasted like sea water.
On step 12 of 22 step BAS Anonymous program. Please donate, the struggle is real.
Cloud
Bass
Chipotlemonger
AG
Easy. Rahr & Sons Texas Red circa like 2013/14 some time. Tasted like straight teriyaki sauce water. Absolutely terrible, and it made me steer clear of them forever. Anyone putting out that kind of product didn't need my business.

I'll get off my high horse now, but I cannot forget that, as much as I try.
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
Sportz beer was the worst beer I have ever had.
IronRed13
AG
Rogue Voodoo Maple Bacon - tasted like burnt sausage with synthetic maple flavor

Platypus That's a plum-ber . Plum sour beer that was straight butyric

MW13
AG
PKL FKR from New Braunfels Brewing Co. We had it at a share one time and to a man everyone agreed it was the worst beer they ever had.

La Fours
AG
I bought a bottle once to give it a try. I love pickles and I had a few people tell me it was really good. But it was a big let down. Just tasted like cucumber to me. I like cucumber but this beer was more akin to the flavor you get from slicing cucumbers and putting them in vinegar. But not actually pickling them.

Martin House Best Maid actually tasted like pickles. Except for a funky after taste, I really liked this beer.

For me, it was an Epic BA Big Bad Baptist. It tasted like what I imagine an ash tray would taste if you were to lick one.
jh0400
AG
Santa Fe Bourbon Barrel Chicken Killer. It was a barrel-aged barley wine that they sold knowing it was infected. I didn't realize that part until I called to ask for a refund, and they pointed out the tasting notes on their website that included a reference to sour funk.
jgh85Ag
AG
MW13 said:

PKL FKR from New Braunfels Brewing Co. We had it at a share one time and to a man everyone agreed it was the worst beer they ever had.

The New Braunfels Brewing mafia on the San Antonio Craft Beer facebook page would hound you for that remark. They think PKL FKR is great and no need for the Martin House pickle beer. The bartender at the growler place I go to told me her old bar had PKL FKR on tap one time. Never sold and ruined their line.

I like BA Big Bad Batista. Maybe it was the year.
On step 12 of 22 step BAS Anonymous program. Please donate, the struggle is real.
txag2008
AG
Wee Beastie by Blue Owl. A sour wee heavy that was pretty awful.
La Fours
AG
jgh85Ag said:

MW13 said:

The New Braunfels Brewing mafia on the San Antonio Craft Beer facebook page would hound you for that remark. They think PKL FKR is great and no need for the Martin House pickle beer. The bartender at the growler place I go to told me her old bar had PKL FKR on tap one time. Never sold and ruined their line.

Yeah, I've heard others mention how aggressive the NBB folks are about pkl fkr and How they rail against Best Maid. And from what I understand, the brewers/brewery staff at NBB are the ones who are the worst about it.
jah003
S
La Fours said:

jgh85Ag said:

MW13 said:

Yeah, I've heard others mention how aggressive the NBB folks are about pkl fkr and How they rail against Best Maid. And from what I understand, the brewers/brewery staff at NBB are the ones who are the worst about it.

Somehow we ended up in NB for their anniversary party a few years ago. All of their sours tasted like Pickle... even the ones that didn't have pickle. I wonder if they just used it as a base for everything. All the bartenders acted like everything they were serving was world class too. I've never even been remotely tempted to buy their beer since then.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Damn these are good! Tasty little garage beer here.

jetch17
AG
Welp, I'm erect.
Gator_2
AG

Good stuff from No Label in Katy.
Easy come, easy go
Kyle98
AG
Haven't been active much lately, but trying to support local small business growler bar. Grace and Grit on the 64 and Saint Arnold's root beer in the 32 for the wife.
Bulldog73
AG
I once bought a 6er of Live Oak Hefe at H-E-B based on reviews. Opened the first one and took a big swig of it. It must've been mislabeled because it was some ultra hoppy, liquid smoke tasting garbage. It took me a year to try them again, with much better results.
SoTxAg
AG
I read the book just put out by Kelly Meyer, who is the owner of New Braunfels Brewery. Good book, but can tell they are mad Martin House pickle beer took off like crazy and PKL FKR got left behind, although he admits MH pickle popularity helped their sales of PF.
hbc07
AG
I tend to drop by this thread every year or two saying I need to start drinking some of my stashed away beers. Starting that tonight to make room for other things, and I bought them to drink so there's no better time than now.

Class of '88 Barley Wine from Deschutes from 2013ish. Lots of flavor, quite malty. Not much carbonation left though. Solid 10.2%

La Fours
AG
Welcome back. How's quarantine treating you?
BowSowy
AG
I imagine you sprawled out on the floor while A and P look at you like you're an idiot
Chipotlemonger
AG
BowSowy said:

I imagine you sprawled out on the floor while A and P look at you like you're an idiot

Ha! I was actually just sitting in this mini camp chair that sits very low over the ground for this one, but your imagination isn't far off.
hbc07
AG
I'm surviving, somehow. Our home gym is almost finalized. Just trying to keep the money moving to keep my firm afloat.
CDub06
AG
In regard to the worst beer I've had. Untappd says it's Good Juju from Left Hand, but that was back in 2013 and I probably can't be trusted from that timeframe. Some of my ratings from early on are embarrassing...

The worst one I can remember from more recently was a saison from Braindead called Good Morning Dave. It tasted more of hairspray than a saison.
dave99ag
AG
CDub06 said:

The worst one I can remember from more recently was a saison from Braindead called Good Morning Dave. It tasted more of hairspray than a saison.
I'd probably buy that one just on the name alone.
CDub06
AG
MW13 said:

Over quarantine I've found Miss Marmalade a Martin House sour with lactose and citrus
Same. Martin House is distributing more down here now and they've got some good sours. The Marmalade was my favorite by far. Between the pickle beers and their other single cans on the HEB shelf, I think I've done 5 of theirs this month. I love their can art too.
First Page Last Page
Page 1493 of 1791

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.