Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,640,224 Views | 62606 Replies | Last: 16 hrs ago by La Fours
Inspector Spacetime
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
I got hucklebucked at HEB and couldn't make up my mind on anything. Just ended up getting some Staycation for the pool tomorrow.

I was gonna get some Hop Delusion, but it was dated 4/11... Seems like old balls to me. I know it's not crazy old, but hasn't there been a fresher batch? They had an asston of it.
The 4/11 still tastes good, but there is also a 6/6 batch out there and in most stores now. Bunker Hill had one of the larger displays of HD when it first released, and unfortunately it hasn't moved enough for Michael to order more I guess. I imagine there will still be one or two more batches hitting shelves before the season is over.

As a general note, y'all, keep in mind that shelf beer is ideally FIFO, so if the brewery reps/distro merchandisers/store stockers are doing their jobs, the freshest beer is stacked underneath or put behind the first thing you see in the cold box, like milk. With Karbach's you can usually see a stamped date on the cardboard flat that can point out where the newest beer is on big displays, and our shelf life is roughly 4 months. It sucks that the easiest beer to grab may not be the freshest batch, but there would be a lot of really stale beer on every shelf if it wasn't done this way. Luckily our year-round beers usually move quick enough to not have much issue; Hopadillo and Love Street are typically less than a month old.
jetch17
AG
Of all the Karbach offerings, the delusion is the one I prefer freshest. Of course the canning is better than the initial bottling. But when it falls off, it falls off hard, but only had a stale one the first year it was out.

Anyhow, it has been good this year. Space time is it expected to be available through the summer? (Assuming the older batches don't just become shelf turds)?
AggieOO
quote:
quote:
Also anywhere in Georgetown to check out? Liquor store or bar

Uhh... Not really. The Brass Tap in Round Rock wouldn't be to bad of a drive. The Lakeline HEB in Cedar Park has a great beer selection and isn't too bad of a drive.

The only thing I've found worthwhile in Georgetown is The Hollow for a nice dinner...

Pizza place on the Square. 600 degrees. Decent tap list.
Inspector Spacetime
AG
Yeah I think you can pretty much expect to see it thru August, for however long it sits out till bought or replaced with Krunkin Pumpkin. For what it's worth, most stores I've visited lately don't have nearly as much of the April batch as Bunker Hill.

Btw, I have a little teaser info on some FUN series beer plans for 2017 (in no particular order)... One will be Pontificator, one will be Here Comes the Sun, and another will be a classic style we haven't done before in any series. Plus there will be an all new BBH variant.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
A Here Comes The Sun FUN Series? Oh my damn. I'm gonna need that. I loved Here Comes The Sun.
jetch17
AG
I just want more bodacious
MW13
AG
How many of the guys on here are in or around B/CS? Looks like I'll be moving from Fort Worth back to God'a Country here in about a month and was wondering about best places to get good beer?

Specs and HEB any other good options?

MathNewman06
AG
I'm not usually into beer dinners, but they may have gotten me with this one-
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/jester-king-presents-not-a-freakin-food-court-tickets-26250437766

Jester King beer dinner in Houston at Conservatory downtown.

Represent830
AG
Hey NColorado, when is the drawing for Medionoche?
MW13
AG
Just finished mowing and I'm hot as balls so this may have have made it even better but I'm really enjoying this Ninkasi Maiden the Shade.
maca1028
quote:
Hey NColorado, when is the drawing for Medionoche?

This
jetch17
AG
Ohhhh sweet sh*t, my old lady just dropped the idea out of the blue about doing a Santa Rosa/Napa/yountville trip for a long weekend this fall...

YES DEAR!
Represent830
AG
Finally gettin around to posting my vacation beers.

Perfect beach beer.

jetch17
AG
Nice work
steve00
AG
This stuff is a little over the top.

I really like Southern Charred and Double ******* in the Rye, but this is even sweeter. The extra aging in maple syrup barrels may be a little too much. I should have had it as a breakfast beer this morning.
turfman80
AG
If any of you in Houston visit the HEB Bunker Hill before Friday, let me know if they have any Le Petit Prince left. Thanks!
jh0400
AG
If they're out, D&Q will probably have it.
jetch17
AG
Because why the hell not

Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
To mourn the end of Game of Thrones for another year.

jetch17
AG
Some sanctification swilling mutha fuggs up in hurr

#heyjealousy
steve00
AG

This one is really good. I didn't really taste the vanilla at first, but once it warmed up it was a nice addition.
62strat
AG
Keep an eye out on Brux brewery in Denver. The brewer has been in my uncles homebrew club for years, so I've heard about him over and over from my uncle, who I think is a phenomenal brewer. This guy is not your run of the mill quit your day job and open a brewery like we see left and right. He's been homebrewing since the 80s, he has literally 100+ homebrew medals, and has won AHA homebrewer of the year twice. He's focused most of his homebrewing 'career' on Belgians, and that's what Brux will be. I've had quite a few of his beers and they are just on another league compared to homebrew. Sasions, dubbels, triples, wits, sours. Looking forward to making it to the taproom, it is all of one mile from my office. Pecos and 64th.
NoneGiven
AG
quote:
Is uber out of Austin yet? Trying to figure out some trips for while I'm down there

Use Fasten or Fare.
gigemJTH12
AG
has anyone had Destihl - Counter Clockweisse Wild Sour?

they had some at JK this weekend on discount so I got a 4 pack of cans for like 7 bucks.
big-ag
AG
Had it on draft at Whole Foods. Solid.
jh0400
AG
I seem to remember seeing people post on here that some of the Destihl sours had diacetyl problems. I bought a couple of four packs of the raspberry sour last year and never had a problem.
La Fours
AG
I drank a few 4 packs of it last summer. They had it in stores here in BCS. So I'm guessing just check your local Specs. I want to say that our local Specs has it on the shelves right now.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I've got a 2015 Double ******* in the Rye. Is it worth waiting on it to mellow out?
steve00
AG
I got a case of that and Southern Charred when they came out. I'm down to one bottle of each, and I don't think they taste noticeably different than right after they came out. If you didn't like it the first time, then you probably still aren't going to like it no matter how long you age it.
Hobbes01
AG
I enjoy a good beer as much as the next guy, but does this one really justify the price?

Chipotlemonger
AG
Haven't had it before, this was a one bottle deal. I'll probably open it soon, thanks.
ChipFTAC01
AG
I had my last Pliny from my trip to Santa Rosa last summer last night to celebrate and mourn the end of another Season of Game of Thrones. Despite all warnings that I wasn't to save it, it was still damn tasty.

Need to make another trip to Napa.
jetch17
62strat
AG
quote:
I enjoy a good beer as much as the next guy, but does this one really justify the price?

Get a magic marker and write Jester King on that bottle and it'll fly off the shelves
La Fours
First Page Last Page
Page 955 of 1789

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.