Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,642,223 Views | 62609 Replies | Last: 11 hrs ago by SoTxAg
jetch17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I got hucklebucked at HEB and couldn't make up my mind on anything. Just ended up getting some Staycation for the pool tomorrow.

I was gonna get some Hop Delusion, but it was dated 4/11... Seems like old balls to me. I know it's not crazy old, but hasn't there been a fresher batch? They had an asston of it.

I really wanted some cascades, but F that price point. At least speedway is only like $12
Chipotlemonger
AG
Definitely some fresher batches out there...
Hudson2508
AG
Just got some Rocket Fuel from JH in the mail for sending him Professor Black. Super excited to try it since I love porters. He also added a Hopston and Dome Faux'm. Heard great things about 8th Wonder so thanks for the quick trade JH.
jh0400
AG
It's good stuff. Thanks for sending the Professor Black on credit.
Robert C. Christian
AG
quote:
HEBbunker has a sh*tload of all ale smith and plenty of speedway
I'm up in Dallas and curious to know if this is hard to come by in Houston? Seems like I am able to find it pretty easy.
ChipFTAC01
AG
quote:
Just got some Rocket Fuel from JH in the mail for sending him Professor Black. Super excited to try it since I love porters. He also added a Hopston and Dome Faux'm. Heard great things about 8th Wonder so thanks for the quick trade JH.

I had largely avoided 8th Wonder, I think because the concept of Dome Faux'm turned me off so much. I just recently plunged into them and realized I'd been missing out. I really enjoy Rocket Fuel, even if every can I've had has been pretty flat. Hopston is really solid. Need to try some other stuff.
jetch17
AG
quote:
quote:
I'm up in Dallas and curious to know if this is hard to come by in Houston? Seems like I am able to find it pretty easy.

Looks like it's spreading out easily pretty quick, it just hadn't hit here widespread until this week
Robert C. Christian
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Looks like it's spreading out easily pretty quick, it just hadn't hit here widespread until this week
Ah ok, I was really confused at first, but that explains it.
gigemJTH12
AG
Represent830
AG
No professor black or the Collectives?
gigemJTH12
AG
Going back as a group tomorrow. Just wanted some BR for tonight.
Chipotlemonger
AG
A successful first trip! What did you leave with?

Sooooo easy to drop coin there.
Mustang1
AG
Rocket Fuel & Hopston are both pretty tasty.
turfman80
AG
I've never been a huge St. Arnold fan, but their BB13 was excellent. Now I am enjoying some 5 O'Clock Pilsner and have to say it is pretty, pretty good. Would make an excellent beer to enjoy while bbq'ing this summer. Seems like SA is upping their game.
Jock 07
AG
Pretty good cigar beer

Chipotlemonger
AG
When did you get that bomber? Great beer, tried it back in November when in Nashville for the Vandy game.

I haven't had but a few smoked beers, but objectively I liked Sue regardless.
Jock 07
AG
Last night
Chipotlemonger
AG
Live Oak Hefeweizen earlier on tap. I need cans!
Quincey P. Morris
AG
quote:
Live Oak Hefeweizen earlier on tap. I need cans!

That stuff is everywhere now. Once the novelty wore off and people had had it, it stopped selling out in three minutes.
Jock 07
AG
Finally made it up to paradox, good little spot they have up here
Jock 07
AG
Is uber out of Austin yet? Trying to figure out some trips for while I'm down there
Jock 07
AG
Also anywhere in Georgetown to check out? Liquor store or bar
Hudson2508
AG
Uber is long gone for now.....pretty sad.

There's a new service called GetMe that was hit or miss when I've tried it but it has been a month or so since I tried. Might be more up to speed now.
jh0400
AG
GetMe is like a not as good combination of Uber and Favor.
AggieStout
AG
Heard you can still use Uber downtown you just call them up. You can drop a pin west of Zilker park and then call the driver and tell him where you actually are.
MathNewman06
AG
Juicy Bits for jetch, jh, and me arrived in Houston this afternoon.

I should have taken a picture of the packing job - just beautiful.
Thanks, NCo!

I was tempted to open mine, but opted to crack the AB Noir instead. Glorious.

jah003
S
quote:
Also anywhere in Georgetown to check out? Liquor store or bar

Uhh... Not really. The Brass Tap in Round Rock wouldn't be to bad of a drive. The Lakeline HEB in Cedar Park has a great beer selection and isn't too bad of a drive.

The only thing I've found worthwhile in Georgetown is The Hollow for a nice dinner...
txaggie05
AG
Picked up a Hephaestus tonight. Love the espresso in it.
docaggie
AG
quote:
quote:
I got one of those as a gift a few months back for someone I'd been a mentor for the last few years.
He's holding a bottle of Prairie AB Noir and one of Birthday Bomb for when I get back into town to sample.

Currently wandering the streets of Disney World, staring forlornly at all the Bud and Coors they stack up everywhere. With all the great craft breweries in FL, none can make it into the coolers here?

Thought they had cigar city there
I just saw the first can of Jai Alai today in the little market tucked into the corner of the Contemporary. Unfortunately I've never developed a taste for IPAs. I'm more of a porter / stout / Belgian kind of guy. They also had a can of a Blue Moon pale ale.
Lol. We ate at the Wave of the Americas restaurant here last night. They had three beers listed and they didn't even have names, just "Brown Ale" "Pale Ae" and "Blonde Ale".
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
NColoradoAG
quote:
Juicy Bits for jetch, jh, and me arrived in Houston this afternoon.

I should have taken a picture of the packing job - just beautiful.
Thanks, NCo!

I was tempted to open mine, but opted to crack the AB Noir instead. Glorious.

Enjoy guys. We had some issues with yeast flocculation this batch so its not as hazy as previous batches. Still quite tasty though. Ill try and keep them coming.
NColoradoAG
And Dallas' will be going out this coming week. I ran out of frickin tape while packing the tine's.
MathNewman06
AG
quote:
And Dallas' will be going out this coming week. I ran out of frickin tape while packing the tine's.
Pretty sure half as much tape would have been fine. But Dallas can wait.
NColoradoAG
quote:
quote:
Pretty sure half as much tape would have been fine. But Dallas can wait.

One can never pack a beer box TOO well
Chipotlemonger
AG
Hit up Grapevine's tap room today. Really nice setup they have there. Homey, but clean and well laid out. A cool few taproom only beers. Their new Monarch is a good Pilsner. Dry Hopped Lakefire was the best of the bunch.

Finishing off with my first Ivan. Pretty good, I get a lot of licorice in this.

dixie whiskey
AG
quote:
I got hucklebucked at HEB and couldn't make up my mind on anything. Just ended up getting some Staycation for the pool tomorrow.

I was gonna get some Hop Delusion, but it was dated 4/11... Seems like old balls to me. I know it's not crazy old, but hasn't there been a fresher batch? They had an asston of it.

I really wanted some cascades, but F that price point. At least speedway is only like $12

I love that heb because theyll randomly mix in a few head scratchingly low prices on their draft stuff. like cuvee des Jacobins at $9 for 32oz (and I think 16 for 64 but could have been 18). obviously they're out of that one now, but I thought $17 for a 64oz fill of adelberts barrel aged trifecta was a pretty decent price, so I grabbed some. and whenever they have a tap takeover going on, whatever brewery is being pimped is usually pretty cheap. I got a 32oz fill of the prairie trve collaboration but haven't tried it yet, I think it was $8. also did 32oz of the rahr visionary brew 2016, a dry hopped kristallweizen, for around $8 as well. it wasnt half bad.

I'm probably higher on cascade than most, I just really enjoy the **** out of their stuff. yeah its $28 a bottle, but there's more than a few similar or even lesser quality beers out there in smaller format bottles that follow the same price per oz (or higher), and people drop the coin on those without thinking twice. at least that's how I justify to myself spending $30 on a beer. I generally try to make a point to get two of each that becomes available, one to try and one to sit on a couple years. but in the case of some, like the raspberry, I did go a little crazy and pass that 2 bottle count because it's so ****ing amazing. can't wait for that one to release again

oh and yes, there has been at least one batch of hop delusion since the early April one, but ive yet to see a single can of it. I know they need to move the older product, but damn by not making the fresh available while it's actually fresh, the reality is my money isn't really going to either batch now like it otherwise would be.
First Page Last Page
Page 954 of 1789

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.