Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,566,671 Views | 62474 Replies | Last: 7 min ago by txag2008
dixie whiskey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
as for regular, go to, affordable type beers, lately it's been a lot of live oak hefe, chocolate sombrero, 3 legged lab, and at least lately enjoy by. but as it warms up, I'll be moving away from stouts and like like, at least at that frequency. 5 o clock pils is one I intend to keep on hand, hop delusion once I run some down, a lot more metamodern, av blood orange gose, a pale mosaic, and clown shoes American monestary is one I tried recently I really liked. I also picked up the sam adams rebel mixed pack recently and enjoyed the cascade ipa but I dont know if that's available on its own. and once primus in cans makes its way down here, that might be all I buy for a while
62strat
AG
quote:

I think it's because people don't like black IPA's.

I can see that. Still, that 100 rating on ratebeer tho (and 94 on BA).. weird to see such a high rated beer just disappear, regardless of style.
NColoradoAG
quote:
quote:

I can see that. Still, that 100 rating on ratebeer tho (and 94 on BA).. weird to see such a high rated beer just disappear, regardless of style.
If it doesn't sell, it doesn't matter what neckbeards online rate it. Also, Ratebeer and BA ratings are quickly becoming useless. No one is taking the time to rate beers on those websites anymore. Untappd is dominating that now.

There are hundreds of great beers out there that don't even have enough ratings on BA to qualify for a score.
62strat
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

If it doesn't sell, it doesn't matter what neckbeards online rate it. Also, Ratebeer and BA ratings are quickly becoming useless. No one is taking the time to rate beers on those websites anymore. Untappd is dominating that now.

There are hundreds of great beers out there that don't even have enough ratings on BA to qualify for a score.
But it not selling is exactly my conundrum.. if people liked it so much and rated it so highly, why didn't it sell? This is strange, don't you agree? This beer was around years before untappd, so during most it's time, BA and ratebeer were the go-to. (It has a 3.96 rating on untappd.)

Sublimely became a year round beer for stone, and was a bronze medal winner at 2010 GABF. The style still seems to be prevalent, it's not like it came and died. If I remember, it was only about $6 for 22oz.

No matter which you slice it, it's strange. (why it didn't sell, not why it's gone.)
Inspector Spacetime
AG

Opened a bottle of this to weather the storm the other night. It's really drinking nicely. Can't wait to open another at Thanksgiving this year and see what my relatives think of the 1 year difference.
NColoradoAG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

But it not selling is exactly my conundrum.. if people liked it so much and rated it so highly, why didn't it sell? This is strange, don't you agree? This beer was around years before untappd, so during most it's time, BA and ratebeer were the go-to. (It has a 3.96 rating on untappd.)

Sublimely became a year round beer for stone, and was a bronze medal winner at 2010 GABF. The style still seems to be prevalent, it's not like it came and died. If I remember, it was only about $6 for 22oz.

No matter which you slice it, it's strange. (why it didn't sell, not why it's gone.)

It didn't sell because people don't like Black IPA's. Its pretty simple. The style is a mix of two separate styles that are polarizing in and of themselves. I worked a festival this past weekend and literally had at least 50 people tell me to pour them "the not IPA." Our IPA won best beer at the festival. Then you have stouts. At the brewery, when I'm trying to find something for a casual drinker, the second most common dislike behind hoppy beer is "dark beer." Combine hoppy and dark and you are really catering to a niche and people who just try new beer once.

In regards to ratings and turning inventory, people who rate beers are probably 5% at most of the craft beer market. Plus, you only have to drink a beer once to rate it. Just because someone rates it well does not guarantee they buy sixers of it on a regular basis.
jh0400
AG
I bought a Sublimely Self Righteous based off of BA reviews a few years back., and didn't like it at all. That was my last experience with Black IPAs, because if SSR was such a good example of the style I felt it safe to conclude that I didn't like them.
62strat
AG
I don't know if I buy that answer (that people just don't like black ipas), but I don't have a better reason, so.. Cheers to that!

Wookey jack seems popular, and stone obviously just brought back a black IPA after removing sublimely. (Enjoy by black IPA)

If the reason was really people don't buy enough of them, I don't see why they'd just replace one with another.
AgEng06
AG
I don't have any experience with the Stone black IPAs, but I like Hopadillo Negro well enough.
jah003
S
If you haven't sent out your March Madness package yet, try and do so this week if possible. If you can't make it happen this week just keep me in the loop. Here's a list of people who haven't sent yet (according to the Google sheet):
Scriffer
NColoradoAG
AgEng06
Hickory High
Inspector Spacetime
Chipotlemonger
Kyle98
Lt. Joe Bookman

NColoradoAG
I'm not shipping if hub likes black IPAs
La Fours
AG
quote:
I'm not shipping if hub likes black IPAs
Quincey P. Morris
AG

Cracked open my last Repose tonight.
Jock 07
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Sent mine earlier today.

Tracking number: 782883768518
AgEng06
AG
Mine will go out early next week. I was waiting to see if I would get time to make another trip to JK, but I don't think I will.
AgEng06
AG
Lucky, PM me your address and I'll send your Sin Mint out next week as well.
jetch17
AG
Anyone go get any Brash Fancy Sauce at the Houston saucer for 420?
jetch17
AG
Fresh ass yellow rose, GF sculpin & brash Cali green at hughies tonight

Hudson2508
AG
Had a Real Ale Mysterium Verum Coffissar tonight at Draught House and it was excellent. Really wish i could buy this to have at home. Definitely try it if you see it in the wild.
Represent830
AG
quote:

I think this is a terribly underrated beer.
txag2008
AG
Bourbon Barrel Temptress & Saint Dymphna at Lakewood taproom this fine evening. Also found some H&G Greenhouse at Spec's in Dallas

Represent830
AG
I love Hughies. Planning a trip before my buddy leaves the Heights.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
quote:
quote:

I think this is a terribly underrated beer.

I love it. Think the refermented with hay thing through some people off.
jh0400
AG
Repose was great. I wish they'd do it again.
No Bat Soup For You
AG
Can't decide if I want to finish drinking this or to put my **** in it...

Quincey P. Morris
AG
quote:

That stuff is great.
Represent830
AG
Yeah at first I laughed then I drank it and wanted more immediately.
maca1028
Totally agree on Repose, such a great beer.
On another subject, are there any good meads distributed to TX, that's one "style" that I haven't tried yet and see people all over beer forums going crazy over them.
jetch17
AG
And a back home tasty

army01
AG
quote:

Why not both?
Post removed:
by user
dixie whiskey
AG
drinking my first ever julius tonight. holy **** this beer is worth whatever trouble you gotta go to get it. juiciest, most tropical non additive ipa I've had. real excited to try sap next.

well not sure angry face was the way to go there

oops
Hub05
AG
Never had a black ipa that made me want to order a second one.
Hub05
AG
Never had a black ipa that made me want to order a second one.
First Page Last Page
Page 902 of 1785

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.