Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,642,703 Views | 62612 Replies | Last: 8 min ago by dave99ag
Hudson2508
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm downtown so that may be tough. Let me know when it is though, may be able to swing something.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Hot damn!
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
If anyone has a spare Colour Five for trade, holla back. Located in the Tine.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
No Label is a pretty cool spot. Had a blast yesterday. Not sure what their other musicians are like but the brewery is cool sitting under those old buildings in Old Town Katy. If you haven't been it's worth an afternoon. Only downside is it's all concrete so summer might be a bit rough heat wise.
Post removed:
by user
maca1028
Did colour 5 make it through the day?
Hudson2508
AG
With only 400 bottles left to start today I doubt it will make it through.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I get why they don't, but I really wish they would start distributing the special releases.
Scriffer
AG
Good way to spend a rainyish Sunday afternoon

dixie whiskey
AG
to fight the depression of not being able to make it to jk for c5, I grabbed a bottle of hanssens oude kriek. it might not be c5 but it's ****ing fantastic and I'm hoping it gets me through this difficult time. unless anyone wants some combination based around chocolate bbh or russian river damnation, it's not happening for me as I don't have the ammo. probably best for me in the long run as id have to give up too much anyway and blueberry cascade is coming to tx. much rather drop $28 than my better beers. that oude kriek is legit though so I think I'll live

tried no label strawberry blonde tonight. it wasn't bad, not great either, but the strawberry flavor was done right. felt fresh. there wasnt much going on to counterbalance the strawberry though. kinda felt it was a mistake to go with almost no flavoring hops. it needs something else. I don't know what, but hops are a start

Quincey P. Morris
AG
I've had a few different strawberry blondes and they all seem like they let it get too sweet.
AggieOO
quote:
No Label is a pretty cool spot. Had a blast yesterday. Not sure what their other musicians are like but the brewery is cool sitting under those old buildings in Old Town Katy. If you haven't been it's worth an afternoon. Only downside is it's all concrete so summer might be a bit rough heat wise.
it sucks in the summer. only time i've been there, we left after about 30 mins b/c we were melting.
Jock 07
AG
I remember now why I said I wouldn't do younger day again two years ago. Good beer but not worth the crowds. Glad I got a hold of BCBBW, Sucaba, & a superpower as well while I waited.

NColoradoAG
quote:
I remember now why I said I wouldn't do younger day again two years ago. Good beer but not worth the crowds. Glad I got a hold of BCBBW, Sucaba, & a superpower as well while I waited.

It's a very well crafted beer, but the recipe, specifically the hop profile, is sorely dated.
steve00
AG
Swung by Kernville this weekend. While I missed out on Citra tickets, a case of Just Outstanding isn't so bad.

dixie whiskey
AG
val dieu grand cru for me. love this beer. while I have no opinion on the following as I haven't tried it, more than one person whose opinion and general knowledge of beer I respect a lot has told me they prefer it to westy 12. like I said, I've never tried 12, so I couldn't say. but I always found that intetesting as they were multiple, unrelated events and individuals who were well versed in beer offering that same opinion.

eta: couple friends dropped by so i decided to open up my barrel aged bomb. initial thoughts are it's much better than expected. I was kinda leary of it as I love all the coffee and chili and so on that defines bomb; I was afraid those would be masked here. but they're still present, albeit more subtle. most surprised that I still get the chili flavor pretty well all things considered. don't know that I'd spend that much on it again, but glad I did this once. gonna let it warm some and see if it opens up more
maca1028
I know this isn't beer related but does anyone know what the crowd is like Friday mornings at Franklins?
BSD
AG
It's always packed. Go early. Take lots of beer.
maca1028
Thanks!
steve00
AG
I recently went on a Sunday. Got there at 8am and was about 30th in line. Got to eat during the first round of tables. As BSD said, bring beer and three hours will go quickly. That early there should still be chairs in the borrow pile. I'm assuming Friday is slower because it's a work day, but probably not by much.
dixie whiskey
AG
I know I'm late to the party but ive passed by Brazos valley the cause 100s of times. went to my local bar/restaurnt to fill some growlers and figured what the hell, got a 32oz of it. really digging it, has a nice hop profile, cascade heavy. they recently had a no label event, so I also got what the hatch, Polaris hop solo, and perpetual peace
army01
AG
quote:
I recently went on a Sunday. Got there at 8am and was about 30th in line. Got to eat during the first round of tables. As BSD said, bring beer and three hours will go quickly. That early there should still be chairs in the borrow pile. I'm assuming Friday is slower because it's a work day, but probably not by much.
Friday is still pretty busy.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I'd bet Friday is just as busy as Sunday.
Hudson2508
AG
I did a Friday over a year ago and got there at 730. Was the 5th person in line. It will be pretty long by 830. I'd shoot for 8 or earlier if you can swing it.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I still have yet to eat at Franklin's
BSD
AG
We were there for a dinner on a Saturday a few weeks ago and Aaron said that the last man standing (last person to get food) got in line at 8:30am and ate around 2:00pm.

Also, I've noticed weather plays a big part in the line. If it's nice out, the line is extra long.

Side note: I've never waited in that line but I used to follow the franklinbbqline guy on twitter before he moved.
Hudson2508
AG
The other excellent option you have is to head to La BBQ at 10 and eat just as good of BBQ. I think theirs is just as good or better. Not the same experience but a good option if you can't make the line early enough.
BSD
AG
La BBQ is excellent.
Jock 07
AG
Got to LA BBQ at 10 am and still waited over two hours with a few things selling out before I got food. It was certainly good but don't know if I Id do it again. This was over Christmas so that might have had something to do with it.
jh0400
AG
I want to try la Barbecue one of these days, but I'd have a hard time waiting in line for barbecue in Austin at a place other than Franklin.
aeroag14
AG
I am a recent transplant to Arizona, which is nice because there are actually a ton of breweries in Arizona.

However, the biggest one is probably 4 Peaks Brewery in Tempe (recently bought by Budweiser, but I hear that not much is changing).

Their most popular beer, by far, is "Kilt Lifter" and it is absolutely every where out here. It is on tap at virtually every decent restaurant in the entire Phoenix and Tucson areas. It has turned into one of my go to beers.

Kilt lifter is advertised as a "Scottish Style-Ale". Its an amber color, has a good malty flavor with notes of caramel and roasted barley. It has just a touch of hoppy bitterness, but not too much at all. Overall it is a VERY balanced beer in my opinion that can be drank round after round.

While growing up in Texas, I never saw Kilt Lifter, but if you ever come across it, I would highly recommend it!

La Fours
AG
RU55 will be released on Friday!!!

La Fours
AG
No limit means it won't last the weekend though. Unless they have other batches ready to roll out in a month or two.
DallasAggie2012
AG
quote:
RU55 will be released on Friday!!!

Looking for a bottle if anyone is planning on heading out there!
jh0400
AG
Simple Means had a lower bottle count and made it to Houston. Hopefully at least a few cases will make it into distribution.
First Page Last Page
Page 850 of 1789

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.