Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,678,538 Views | 62656 Replies | Last: 7 min ago by swampstander
jetch17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BSD
AG
That's awesome. Bring some back for us next time!
jah003
S
Hey, fellow beer thread folks... Anyone have good recommendations on gluten free beer available in Texas? My dad is on a gluten free diet and I'd like to pick something up as he is visiting next weekend.
713nervy
AG
Water?
Marooned_n_Aggieland
I think New Belgium might have an offering or two. How about Mothership Wheat? Is it GF?
Marooned_n_Aggieland
I've had numerous great beers out here in El Paso at both Hoppy Monk (gotta hit this place up if you come through EP) and the Square Cow. I'll get around to posting reviews once life slows down a bit.

The Monk is the place to be. Simply FANTASTIC tap selection. As an example, they have _5_ great German hefe's on tap, yes 5. Did I mention is this El Paso Texas?

Their downfall, if any, is there sheer distance from the microbrew region of Texas. They are too far for the self distributing breweries to reach but not close enough to Cali to get the Russian River (other than special occasion) and others. You WILL NOT be unhoppy going here.

The other place, Square Cow, is walking distance from the Monk. The Cow has 100 taps but caters to the full spectrum of drinkers, meaning they have the mass market stuff. They have that but also other great craft beer on tap. For example, I had the Left Coast Asylum. Very good, BIG beer.

Craft beer can be had in El Paso so don't overlook the town. Ah, as a parting mention, they have a craft beer store, just down the street from the Monk and the Cow. They only sell craft and home brew supplies. They stay open late (beer license only) and have a good selection at competitive prices.
BSD
AG
I met the owner of the Hoppy Monk last year at Cascade Brewing in Portland. He and a few friends had flown into California and were driving up to Washington, stopping at as many breweries as they could. I remember talking to him about the appetite for craft beer in El Paso and he said he wouldn't have opened the bar if there were no demand and that I'd be surprised at the number of people out there that enjoy good beer. We talked about his business trip and I realized that I'm in the wrong business.
62strat
AG
quote:
I think New Belgium might have an offering or two. How about Mothership Wheat? Is it GF?

umm, 'wheat' beer, that's your first clue it is not gluten free! That's an organic beer, maybe that's what your thinking of.

Gluten beer can't be made from barle, rye or wheat.
you can drink bud light hah. since that is made with so much rice, there isn't enough barley to reach 20 ppm gluten, which is the cutoff of certified 'gluten free'

Here is a list of best and worst
http://www.pastemagazine.com/blogs/lists/2012/03/the-best-and-worst-gluten-free-beers.html

[This message has been edited by 62strat (edited 5/24/2012 9:55a).]
jh0400
AG
I picked up a Collaboration Not Litigation and a Left Coast Hop Juice earlier. I didn't see any Homefront.
62strat
AG
I almost forgot, my uncle and I were talking about wheat beers at his house, he pulled this book out and said it's one the best books on the style, published in 1992..

I'll be damned,, yours truly:

[This message has been edited by 62strat (edited 5/24/2012 3:10p).]
62strat
AG
also, an event to mark in your calendar for houston area folks:

http://www.brewmastersinternationalbeerfestival.com/index.php
La Fours
AG
62 - is that your uncle?
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Your uncle is not the Karbach bawse.
62strat
AG
hah no not my uncle.. poster above got it.

Just funny that he pulls that book out, I saw the pic I and was like, uh holy crap, that's the brewmaster at Karbach! Coincidentally, I was wearing my hopadillo shirt My uncle remembers meeting him back in the flying dog days.
spadilly
S
Finally off my 6 week health/fitness plan. (down 13 pounds from when I started)

It's beer time once again!

Stopped by HEB today and picked up a bottle of Great Divide 18th Anniv Wood Aged Double IPA, 2 bottles of St Arnold Homefront, and a sixer of Lazy Magnolia Deep South Pale Ale.

Headed to Specs after that and grabbed some Alaskan IPA and some Tart Lychee to see what all the fuss is about.

[This message has been edited by spadilly (edited 5/24/2012 4:45p).]
jh0400
AG
This Collaboration is pretty good. I'm a fan.
BSD
AG
quote:
Finally off my 6 week health/fitness plan. (down 13 pounds from when I started)

It's beer time once again!

Welcome back! Enjoy the 20lb weight gain. It'll be delicious.

BSD
AG
quote:
This Collaboration is pretty good. I'm a fan.

Same here. I still need to do the side-by-side-by-side comparison with Avery's and RRBC's Salvations.
AggieOO
drinking Brooklyn Local #2 while I pack to leave the country.
army01
AG
Like Spadilly, I am having my first beer in a while as well. Five days, to be exact....

Losman
AG
Jah

Unless you want to pay heavy premium for rice/sorghum brews you should stick with ciders.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Speaking of Karbach...
(from their Facebook page)
quote:
Karbach Brewing Co.
Just got a bunch of cherries in. What to do...

Not a fan of cherry beers, but I'm sure it will be excellent.
army01
AG
Still have not managed to find Tart Lychee, but I did get my hands on a bottle of Lips of Faith Kick. Anyone try this one?
txaggie05
AG
Any reports on Homefront IPA? I picked one up at lunch and plan on drinking it tonight. I'm not expecting to be wowed by it, but I just thought I'd see what others thought.
hbc07
AG
been otherwise occupied (sleepy) and haven't done anything with the collage yet. don't worry.

this weekend, hitting up the rogue brewery (in newport) and the pelican brewery.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
quote:
this weekend, hitting up the rogue brewery (in newport)

I had a blast there back in March.
La Fours
AG
hbc - does that mean you were able to get more bottles of Collage?

Last night I drank the bottle of Double ******* I picked up the other day. Very good, and very strong. Has a bit of an alcohol bite but it isn't off putting.

[This message has been edited by La Fours (edited 5/25/2012 2:47p).]
hbc07
AG
I've got six total... and found a few more that i can get if need be.
BSD
AG
It needs be.
Losman
AG
Just started over at the Saucer so I have a whole menu of breweries choose from. Today it looks like Brooklyn Lager, Alaskan Amber and Breckenridge Agave Wheat.
La Fours
AG
quote:
It needs be.

This
BSD
AG
HBC,

Northwest Liquid Gold in Vancouver has Collage if you want me to reserve some for you.

Let me know...
terradactylexpress
Indio is being released in the USA
aggiespartan
AG
picked these up today. it's a hefe brewed with rose petals. one of them is yours if you want it BSD.

[This message has been edited by aggiespartan (edited 5/25/2012 8:25p).]
txaggie05
AG
Drank my Homefront tonight. Not quite my type of IPA...pretty tame and it was waaaay on the citrus side and less on the piney/grassy side. All in all it was pretty good, but 22oz of the orange zest got to be a little much for me. Glad I was able to drink for Operation Homefront, but if it was a regular release, it's something I would have just every now and then.
First Page Last Page
Page 80 of 1791

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.