Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,674,884 Views | 62646 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by Jock 07
La Fours
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Maui Big Swell IPA tastes like a bouquet of flowers. My inexperienced IPA loves enjoy this brew, but I give it a solid "vomit" right now, alimg with Big Ska

WTF does this even mean?
713nervy
AG
It means that im going to punch you in the face.

The couple of friends that I drag around Dallas with me for beer are only just now being exposed to beer outside of Meeler Light, and they love the Maui Big Swell IPA. I feel that it tastes like someone sprayed perfume directly into my mouth and then tried to mop it up with a bouquet of flowers. It is so floral that it reminds me of Ska's Decadent IPA, which I also disliked.
jh0400
AG
I've got brunch at 11 at Onion Creek. I may swing back through Midtown afterward and see if I can run down a couple of those LoF lychees at Specs.
La Fours
AG
I see. I have not tried Big Swell. But I did like Decadent. Interesting.
La Fours
AG
I stepped my game up this morning. Bought a new bigger beer fridge for the garage.
jetch17
AG
I need to follow suit, my old lady is getting tired of me jammin up the main fridge hoarding my stash
La Fours
AG
Yeah, I know what you mean. We had a dorm fridge in the garage, but my SIL took it with her to her summer internship. I walked out yesterday to get a beer and saw the fridge was gone. I almost lost my sh*t thinking they took the whole fridge with my beer in it. Woke up this AM and told my wife we need to get a new big fridge. So we picked up an 18cft with a freezer. I'm heading to Specs in a little while to buy even more beer.
jah003
S
Edit... Change of plans:

Went to HEB to grab some Prime NY Strips for dinner and wandered over to the beer aisle. Totally re-vamped the beer section! Bombers everywhere!

So... I am currently having a Lips Of Faith Tart Lychee and grabbed a Lagunitas Hop Stoopid for later.

With the Aggie win, NY Strips on sale, and the new beer section... it's been a pretty fantastic day!

[This message has been edited by jah003 (edited 5/19/2012 5:56p).]
BSD
AG
I plan on cleaning out some space and getting a new beer fridge tomorrow. Apparently I have too much (as my wife informs me daily).
jetch17
AG
I'll always "hold" any overflow
La Fours
AG
quote:
I'll always "hold" any overflow

Yeah, uh, me too.
jetch17
AG
Go on, get! Get outta here!
La Fours
AG
Well I do believe there is some beer in his fridge that is for me.
713nervy
AG
I've been researching wine fridges for awhile now, thinking that it would benefit me in my dingding apartment. Maybe a dorm fridge for my wine/beer would just be more cost effective, that sh/t's spendy.
aggiespartan
AG
quote:
I've been researching wine fridges for awhile now, thinking that it would benefit me in my dingding apartment. Maybe a dorm fridge for my wine/beer would just be more cost effective, that sh/t's spendy.

I believe we are going to get a fridge for our garage. Just so happens that we went to my office today to help move things for a carpet install, and my boss' wife said that she would give us a brand new full sized fridge.
La Fours
AG
Nice Spartan.

Time to start collecting magnets and stickers for the new fridge.

BSD
AG
I spent all afternoon yesterday clearing space in my garage for a fridge and now the guy with the truck that was going to help me move is going to the Rangers/Stros game and invited me along. I probably won't be sober to go get it afterwards so another week I wait...

I really need to build a new house with a wine cellar so I can rope off a section in there for beer.
62strat
AG
I got a beer fridge a whole back, it's like a 3/4 size. About 5' tall, I think about 12-13 cu ft. Perfect for garage, easy to move and holds plenty of beer. Was only like $250 brand new from lowes.
jh0400
AG
The wife and I had dinner tonight at Feast, and we stopped by the Hay Merchant on the way home. I was hoping to have another glass of Real Ale Empire, but it wasn't to be. I had to settle for a Hopsickle and she had a Deep Ellum Rye Pils.
La Fours
AG
I'm drinking the bomber of Hop Henge I picked up last week at the downtown Specs.
713nervy
AG
I really like the Rye Pils from DE and also their Farmhouse Wheat, begrudgingly so.
La Fours
AG
Not a fan of wheats? I'm hit or miss with them myself.
Robert C. Christian
AG
713 - why begrudgely?
La Fours
AG

Decided to open this up. Damn, I really like this beer. Sour with a good malt and nutty background.
La Fours
AG
I have to say, so far I've been very impressed by the sours I've had so far and really like them. They are becoming my second favorite type of beer behind IPA's. I would have never known about them if not for this thread.
bonfirewillburn
AG
So throwing a party on Sunday, looking for a keg of some good beer, leaning towards Left Hand Stranger or Sawtooth Ale. Possibly some bear Republic if I can get it.

What's your opinion for a good beer that would be asscesable to the masses. Few people will really understand beer, so I don't want to scare the, off with a strong iPA or Sour.

If your around Abilene on sunday come in over!

[This message has been edited by bonfirewillburn (edited 5/21/2012 7:43a).]
jh0400
AG
St A is releasing Homefront IPA on Thursday.

http://www.craftbeer.com/pages/news-and-events/news/show?title=craft-brewing-community-steps-forward-to-aid-nations-heroes
La Fours
AG
I picked up a good haul from Village Foods today. 2 fresh hopped mirror ponds, a double bas/:rd, four pack of oscar blues gubna and a six of Deschutes red chair.
62strat
AG
2 hour delay is not that big a deal when you're at denver airport. There is no shortage of new Belgium drafts here! Had a bier de mars, on a somersault now. Think I'll do ranger ipa next. Better call that a night
La Fours
AG
How is the biere de mars? I was hesitant to buy it when I was at specs. Are the spices very pronounced?
BSD
AG
quote:
What's your opinion for a good beer that would be asscesable to the masses.

You can't go wrong with Sierra Nevada. That was my gateway beer. And you can easily find it in keg's.
62strat
AG
I thought it was great. Flavors were all pretty subtle. If I didn't know what kind of beer it was, I'd probably pin it for like a pale / amber. Real subdued hop profile. Great summer beer.

Well delayed again! Not landing in Houston until 1:30 hah. Oh well, beer #4. They gave us $10 vouchers, so that will help the sting a bit on these $6 beers.
bonfirewillburn
AG
due to availability we went with Northcoast Pranqster - not too shabby IMO!
rhoswen
AG
Cask Party at O'Bannons this Wednesday at 6. Live Oak Schwarzbier. Half price pints after 8.
62strat
AG
Was in denver for weekend, uncle and I went to aurora, thought this was a cool concept; A brewery/tasting room connected to a home brew stop. Have a brew and browse some gear/ingredients

Dry dock brewing. Since their founding in 2005, they've won about two dozen medals at GABF and CO state fair. Pretty impressive. They started with about 300 bbls in 2006, now on target to do 3200 bbls in 2012. Keep an eye out, they're currently working on a huge facility for even larger distribution. Texas seems to be high on the list when breweries first go nation out of state.

I did the pliny/clone side by side taste test. I'll be damn honest and say, I liked our homebrew clone better than pliny itself! Uncle was pretty dang proud of it, he's going to enter it into big beer festival in Vail in the winter.
First Page Last Page
Page 79 of 1790

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.