Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,673,807 Views | 62644 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by Quincey P. Morris
turfman80
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Is there any good beer in Phoenix?

I'm traveling there in July with my lady while she attends a conference.
Logsdon
wessimo
AG
6pk cans would be better but I'll take 4pks!
No Bat Soup For You
AG
quote:
6pk cans would be better but I'll take 4pks!

Yep, a six pack of cans of Yellow Rose while floating the Comal, Guadalupe, or Frio would be perfection.
La Fours
AG
Yeah. Like Turfman said, Logsdon, ale smith, funkworks, head to total wine. They have a good selection.
Chipotlemonger
AG
quote:
****ty ass Phoenix.

Everyone came out here for a conference. Why would someone build a city in the desert? It sucks here. My friend had a scorpion in his room. A ****ing scorpion. Screw this place.

Go to Scottsdale side, it's better! Amazing food in Phoenix too.
BSD
AG
I was in Scottsdale actually. It sucked too. Had fun though.
BSD
AG
quote:
What resort are you at? I was in Phoenix two years ago for a work conference. Looks like this next year it'll be Denver/Boulder or Dallas.

The Phoenician.
Jock 07
AG
This was a gusher

La Fours
AG
What batch is that? I was pleasantly surprised with that one.
No Bat Soup For You
AG
That's my favorite JK beer I've had.
Jock 07
AG
Batch 6, 22 July 14 bottling. Lots of cedar.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Have had two of those before. Definitely a carbonated son of a ***** gusher.

Edit for mistaking the ABV of this vs another JK brew.
Jock 07
AG
Really enjoy it. Bottle says there's Brett but I don't notice much of it.
La Fours
AG
The brett and cedar combo is what I really enjoyed about the beer. For me I seem to remember the distinct brett flavor but it was muted a bit by the cedar. Or maybe enhanced and smoothed out. Sounds odd but then again it's been a while since I've had an El Cedro. I think I had a batch one bottle.

Speaking of JK, when Harvey Washbangers did their JK night a couple of weeks ago, Jeff Stuffings talked to turfman and I about their spontaneously fermented beer. Their American lambic (hearsay for some, American wild ale). He thinks they could have a blend bottled this fall iirc. Looking forward to that. But I expect the hype to be outrageous.
CollinAB
AG
Man I miss those Washbangers events. Always a nice, laid back place.
La Fours
AG
Yeah. It was a good event. I take a seat next to turfman, and he says "hey, this is Jeff with JK." I turn and introduce myself and shake his hand. A few minutes later I ask Jeff "so how long have you been with JK?" And come to find out he's the founder. Oops.
dave99ag
AG
Good one, La Fours.

Missed that event at HW, but I generally try to make them.
62strat
AG
quote:
quote:
Figured as much. I've searched with no luck. I have to depend on friends that travel to CA or CO for my Pliny fix.

I've been trying to find someone that I can swap Yellow Rose for Pliny with but haven't had any luck.
I come across Pliny about every month or two. I'll trade a yellow rose when I get one next.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Karbach got label approval for Krunkin Punkin in cans. So I guess all their seasonal large format beers are going the same route as Hop Delusion?
Chipotlemonger
AG
quote:
Karbach got label approval for Krunkin Punkin in cans. So I guess all their seasonal large format beers are going the same route as Hop Delusion?
Whoop04
At the Ballast Point in Little Italy.
Whoop04
At Modern Times in Point Loma
Jock 07
AG
I see stone came out with another round of the enjoy after
cc10106

CollinAB
AG
Hahaha, nice. That's priceless. Just cracked my first of the Greenhouse Batch 21. That's a juicy one. Man is it good, though.

CollinAB
AG
Aw man, Chipotlemonger. That beer and their Karbachtoberfest have come to define football season for me more than any others. Great news there.
La Fours
AG
quote:

Nice. I wish they would distro to BCS.
dave99ag
AG
I'm headed to Boerne this weekend for my 20th. I'll see if I can find us some.
WorkBoots09
AG
We had a great time last week in Portland and Seattle. Aside from the standard tourist spots in each place, we visited a bunch of breweries, bottle shops, and taprooms. We tried almost 70 new-to-us beers via pints, flights, or bottles over the course of the week. I brought a few back to save for later, but we sure as hell enjoyed ourselves on the trip.

In Portland we visited the Cascade Barrel House, Hair of the Dog, and Lucky Labrador breweries. Cascade was amazing. We had their non-sours just because, but by far our favorites were the Vine flight (2011, 2012, & 2013) and Sang Royal. Lucky Labrador had their stout on nitro and in cask, both very tasty. We sampled as much as we could at hair of the dog, and finished with a bottle of Adam from the wood. Holy ****. We hit Belmont Station and picked up Ninkasi ground control, Double Swingline, Mjolnir IIPA, Heretic's Evil Twin and Hazelnut Porter, and DFH American Beauty. We also stopped at Deschutes taphouse (a little too corporate feeling, but the Stoic, GD) and Rogue' tasting room. Rogue had a great neighborhood feel to it. We sat through 3 flights there and I tried pretty much everything I had never heard of. Their Marionberry braggot was f'ing killer.

In Seattle, we visited Fremont and Pike breweries. Both pretty good, although Pike is meant for tourists. We also stopped off at Mammoth for sandwiches and beer, and we got to try Abraxxas, 10 Barrel's Raspberry Crush and German Sparkle Party. We visited Chuck's Hop Shop and tried a bunch more Washington and Oregon beer as well as Hell or High Watermelon and Wander's Raspberry Millie Sour.

I wanted to thank y'all for the tips and recommendations. We had a great anniversary trip thanks to your suggestions. I wish we could have spent more time up there, but I'm glad we got home with great memories and more than our fair share of great beer experiences.
La Fours
AG
Awesome!!
Chipotlemonger
AG
Badass!
DallasAggie2012
AG
Wow sounds amazing! Thinking of going there with the wife at the end of July and will definitely be using your post to help out with planning!
La Fours
AG
Sounds like a hell of a good trip!!
steve00
AG
Beer dinner at Societe last night. The Thief was really good, and I sat next to the wine maker who grew the grapes they used in the barrels. Thanks for the heads up BSD.

maca1028
Awesome
First Page Last Page
Page 707 of 1790

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.