Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,567,962 Views | 62483 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by jah003
La Fours
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I made that dream house my *****!!
dave99ag
AG
<Kyle Field Construction Thread>

How does she get from floor to floor? Stupid engineers.
jh0400
AG
quote:
Having my 3rd of a 4-pack Destihl Gose right now.

It's good but I probably won't be buying it again. Not worth risking getting one of those crappy and spoiled diacetyl 4-packs.

Heard today that New Belgium La Folie isn't a bad starter for sour beers? I've only have had a couple sour beers in my life. Any recs to continue with? In DFW.

I love La Folie, but some may find it to be too sour. It's also a little expensive for an experiment IMO. I'd try Jolly Pumpkin Oro de Calabaza first if I were you. It's a different style of beer, but it's one of the best readily-available barrel-aged sour beers.
NColoradoAG
It's tough to keep all the sour ale styles straight, especially for newbies. I've experienced this even more now that I've been pouring beers commercially. Sour ale is a catch all term that doesn't bother me too much. As you try more, you start to understand the styles and their terms much more easily.

Some good, "cheap" entry beers

Rodenbach Grand Cru (Flanders Red)
Cuve Des Jacobins Rouge (Flanders Red)
Petrus Aged Pale (Golden Ale)
La Folie (Oud Bruin)
Goose Island Madame Rose (oud bruin with cherries)
Boon Oude Gueuze Mariage Parfait (Gueuze, which is a blend of young and old lambic)
Girardin Gueuze 1882
Boon Oude Kriek (lambic with cherries)

Then you've got all the American Wild Ales which are more regional and limited. Jester King, of course, is making some of the best in the country.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I've seen that. Will pick it up next time I'm at the store. Thanks.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Have had those 1st two, and a handful of Jester King brews. Loved the Cuve. Will keep an eye open for that list.
62strat
AG
quote:
Some good, "cheap" entry beers..

Damn I paid like $30+ for that.. Did I get ripped off?

quote:

Then you've got all the American Wild Ales which are more regional and limited. Jester King, of course, is making some of the best in the country.

I wonder if their hype wasn't helped by the huge surplus of neck beards in the completely untapped beer state of TX.

I remember drinking their beers many years ago, and I was never overly impressed. This was 2006-2009 or so? But I'm sure 7-10 years is a lot of time to hone their craft.
NColoradoAG
quote:
quote:
Some good, "cheap" entry beers..

Damn I paid like $30+ for that.. Did I get ripped off?

No, that's right around the median price. That's why I put cheap in quotations.
NoneGiven
AG
Finally got my hands on an Alpine Nelson. Pretty damn good! Glad they are coming to Texas.

Diving in to Sour Monkey later.
jetch17
AG
BSD
AG
Once you double up on black...
army01
AG
quote:

quote:

I wonder if their hype wasn't helped by the huge surplus of neck beards in the completely untapped beer state of TX.

I remember drinking their beers many years ago, and I was never overly impressed. This was 2006-2009 or so? But I'm sure 7-10 years is a lot of time to hone their craft.

Didn't JK open like 5 years ago?
NoneGiven
AG
Yup. And their brews have changed significantly since 2010
Professor Frick
AG

Went for a nice Sunday drive through the Russian River valley, so of course had to stop in Santa Rosa for a sixer of Pliny, and a couple of -ations

NColoradoAG
I needed something delicious after that baseball victory! What a finish! Getting into the home stretch for Game of Thrones. Saved some beers I've really been looking forward to for the last three episodes. Hopefully the season ends strong because I've been disappointed.

Kane A Night to End All Dawns with Vanilla. Damn good. I hope the next batch of these is as good as the base, coffee, and vanilla.

Geriatric Punk
AG
Beer fest in the strong CO sun yesterday. May never drink again.
62strat
AG
Dang it always seems I've been here in CO a lot longer than I actually have, so yeh I was off on that. I remember first having commercial suicide at flying saucer, seems like a long ass time ago. I moved in 2012. Then thrash metal (I put a pic if it on here), then the low abv one with that chick on the label... (Wychmaker?)

I guess it was before their sour transition, because I don't remember those being sour beers, and not particularly fantastic beers at all.
NColoradoAG
That was a ****ing great episode of Game of Thrones.
BSD
AG
quote:
That was a ****ing great episode of Game of Thrones.

Let's end this discussion right now. I won't be able to watch for three weeks and don't want you yayhoo's to ruin it!!!
army01
AG
quote:
Dang it always seems I've been here in CO a lot longer than I actually have, so yeh I was off on that. I remember first having commercial suicide at flying saucer, seems like a long ass time ago. I moved in 2012. Then thrash metal (I put a pic if it on here), then the low abv one with that chick on the label... (Wychmaker?)

I guess it was before their sour transition, because I don't remember those being sour beers, and not particularly fantastic beers at all.
I've always heard that the "farmhouse" came about because they ****ed up. I would love for them to et a separate facility up and running where we could get some OG Black Metal.
Bock for Breakfast
AG
Need a little help:
Stuck in NYC for the day with some potential free time. Any good beer store recommendations for someone who wants to pick up a 4/6 pack (or bombers) and watch Aggie Baseball tonight?
jh0400
AG
quote:
Need a little help:
Stuck in NYC for the day with some potential free time. Any good beer store recommendations for someone who wants to pick up a 4/6 pack (or bombers) and watch Aggie Baseball tonight?

Your best bet is probably going to be Whole Foods at Columbus Circle. They should have some Cigar City, Bells, Crooked Stave, etc. If you want something brewed locally, Sixpoint Sweet Action is a good choice.
62strat
AG
quote:
ahh just power washed the back patio.. figured I'd go ahead and pop a beer since tomorrow is really a friday.

Remember gentlemen, always pour your tasty brews in the appropriate glassware.

Ahh.. there it is. April 2012.. Man it seems like so much longer ago. Maybe because it's page 59 on a almost 700 page thread.
Y1 was ~120 pages, Y2 was ~170, Y3 was ~225.. we're at 175 now and still ~3 months away from the end of year 4. (sept. 2015)
NoneGiven
AG
Interesting article about improvements in testing beers for infections.
http://gizmodo.com/why-brewers-are-dna-testing-beer-for-bacterial-infectio-1707037348
dave99ag
AG
I wonder if these two authors traveled together to Russian River? This article came out in April from The Verge.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/27/8490139/science-of-beer-bacteria-contamination-brewpal-dna-russian-river
bevokilla
AG
Sour Monkey is very good but with my limited exposure to sours, I thought it was pretty sour.
La Fours
AG
I drank one last night and I enjoyed it.
jah003
S
Celebrating an Aggie victory and a Super Regional with a mighty fine beverage!

La Fours
AG
My victory Victory beer.

NColoradoAG
Finishing the bottle of ANTEAD I opened last night.
Jock 07
AG
Drinking a curmudgeon myself
La Fours
AG
Wtf, you didn't drink the whole thing in one sitting? Were you afraid your wife would take a picture like this?

LYMI
NColoradoAG
Sonofa*****
La Fours
NColoradoAG
I'm gonna miss lot H
First Page Last Page
Page 698 of 1786

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.