Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,686,281 Views | 62669 Replies | Last: 6 min ago by La Fours
AggieOO
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
They're not happy over in the land of the Orange Horn --> Austin Beerfest.

Given this report, I suppose the one we had here was "good".

i went. it was as bad or worse than those reviews. hands down the worst event i've ever been to. initially i thought i was just being picky since I produce events, but it really was that bad. And yes, its the same people...they tried to cover their tracks, but same as the houston one. I should have done some research ahead of time.

there will likely be an all Texas Beer Festival in Austin in the fall, stay tuned...
BSD
AG
quote:
So, given that, what is the best beerfest in the state?

Parties at my house are always fun! No lines.
jetch17
AG
Speaking of sours, other than the baller ass ones BSD gets, are there any good ones that are readily available in Houston (specs, Central Market, D&Q) that are good recs to pickup?

Seems i have been spoiled in trying some great sours, and lo & behold im a fan! Want to get some more for the fridge, just looking for some good ones to give a whirl
p-wonk01
AG
It has probably been mentioned before, but Alaskan is finally in Dallas as of a month or so ago(not sure about other cities).

The Specs here now also has Ballast Point out of San Diego available to Dallas/North Texas. I haven't had any of their beer, but I've heard good things and they get very good reviews. A few of their ipa's (Sclupin / Big Eye) rate very high. I was told Specs has the case price available for them today (even without purchasing a full case) and both ipa's are avialble along with other offerings. Just thought I'd pass along...
duck79
AG
Pwonk

Alaskan is statewide now. Package will be out very shortly as well.
AggieOO
having an Una Mas from Left Coast. Nothing special, but i like it enough to buy it from time to time.
Marooned_n_Aggieland
It's BEER TIME!

The area HEB had these on sale a few weeks ago and the deal was too good to pass up. Pop this one and pour. The visuals are that of a somewhat filtered hefe. No clouds and darker than a hefe but looks to be thicker than a filtered hefe (kristallweizen).

The nose on this is exactly what you would expect - plenty of banana goodness. With a smell like that how can you go wrong?

The taste follows along as expected. The first blast of flavor is a similar to a really great German hefe. The issue if the fad away taste and the aftertaste. The front part is excellent but the tail end evolves into something that is not that appealing. I can quite put my buds on it but it's this beer's downfall. Again, the initial and middle taste is wonderful.

Overall I will still give this brew good marks. The look, aroma and front end taste is great. Just don't spend a lot of time between sips.

Enjoy GREAT brews my friends!
aggiespartan
AG
keeping it real with Rainier tonight.
Pahdz
note: not my picture

good stuff.
jetch17
AG
banana bread beer sounds like ass
khkman22
AG
Went with my homebrewed hefeweizen tonight. It's the AHS Bavarian Hefeweizen.
La Fours
AG
quote:
It's BEER TIME!

The area HEB had these on sale a few weeks ago and the deal was too good to pass up. Pop this one and pour. The visuals are that of a somewhat filtered hefe. No clouds and darker than a hefe but looks to be thicker than a filtered hefe (kristallweizen).

The nose on this is exactly what you would expect - plenty of banana goodness. With a smell like that how can you go wrong?

The taste follows along as expected. The first blast of flavor is a similar to a really great German hefe. The issue if the fad away taste and the aftertaste. The front part is excellent but the tail end evolves into something that is not that appealing. I can quite put my buds on it but it's this beer's downfall. Again, the initial and middle taste is wonderful.

Overall I will still give this brew good marks. The look, aroma and front end taste is great. Just don't spend a lot of time between sips.

Enjoy GREAT brews my friends!

That beer is imported by a company in B/CS.
rhoswen
AG
jetch, try it. It smells banana-y, but doesn't taste like it at all. To me, anyways. Other people claim it tastes like banana, but I think they have a hard time separating taste from smell. Banana bread is one of my favorites.
jetch17
AG
im sure its not bad, i kow i should try it before judging. but i probably wont
AggieOO
Tried the banana bread this past weekend when my gf's sister got one. Wasn't bad, but i'd not but one with my own money.
spadilly
S
this looks fun:

BSD
AG
Nice! I'm about to go pick some up.
duck79
AG
The 75 minute is great. It was very limited unfortunately though.

The banana bread is also on draft now and it is very good. One of the top guys for that importer, Belukus, is also an Aggie. One of the top guys at Karbach came from Belukus.
Marooned_n_Aggieland
Belukus Marketing

In the early 90's, three partners had a vision to bring some of the finest
beers and ales to the United States. The unique name of the company,
Belukus, is an acronym for BELgium, United Kingdom, United States. Over the
years, Belukus Marketing has thrived on providing excellent beers and ales
to the US market along with excellent service. Whether you are a beer
connoisseur or a novice, you will find that something special among our
product line to delight your palate.
Specialties

Belhaven - Scotland, Konig - Germany, Lefebvre - Belgium, Malheur - Belgium, Timmermans - Belgium, Wells & Young's - England

[url]http://www.belukus.net/products.asp[/url]
Marooned_n_Aggieland
Get you some Banana Bomb here!
Marooned_n_Aggieland
Haha Top 10 Worst Beers of 2010

Check out the dishonorable mention list, especially the one bringing up the rear.

I agree.
BSD
AG
quote:
Speaking of sours, other than the baller ass ones BSD gets, are there any good ones that are readily available in Houston (specs, Central Market, D&Q) that are good recs to pickup?

Interested in this as well. All the sours I've had are not available here.
aggiespartan
AG
This brewery makes some delicious sour brews, but they are mostly only available on tap. They have a couple that they bottle seasonally, though.

http://cascadebrewingbarrelhouse.com/
BSD
AG
Is that the place across from the goat field?
Marooned_n_Aggieland
It's BEER TIME!

Great Divide's English style Denver Pale Ale. Ok, I'm not a hops fan but I still sample the brews that worship the hop.

Very attractive color, a golden yellow. The noise picks up the hops immediately. I get citrus and hops.

Taste wide it's pretty good. Not too bitter while still a distinctive hop finish. This is s nice change for me. it won't become a go to favorite but would be good to have around for balance. I'll give it a thumbs up.

Enjoy great brews my friends!
aggiespartan
AG
quote:
Is that the place across from the goat field?

I wasn't paying that much attention to my surroundings when I was there, but I wouldn't doubt it. I know it's in the general area of where goats have been in the past.

And I'm sure they will have something wonderful at the beer festival in July.

[This message has been edited by aggiespartan (edited 4/3/2012 10:03p).]
713nervy
AG
Spartan have you and hbc tried Karbach yet? While in Houston last weekend I grabbed a 6 of each type that I could find on the shelves and I thought that I would send two of each to y'all tomorrow.
army01
AG
Just picked up a Breck "Lucky U", The Stoic, DFH 75 min, and a Deschutes Obsidian Stout
hbc07
AG
never had it before... but certainly would be interested
713nervy
AG
10-4
62strat
AG
ahh just power washed the back patio.. figured I'd go ahead and pop a beer since tomorrow is really a friday.

Remember gentlemen, always pour your tasty brews in the appropriate glassware.

Marooned_n_Aggieland
It's BEER TIME!

Tonight was first cut of my backyard. Yeah, I waited and it was hell, only got half way through. Time for some Belgian refreshment.

Hey, how about that Bavik glass to match the beer. I think someone talked about appropriate glassware. So I found a deal on some, $3.65 for a six. With a price like that I was expecting pure swill, you know PBR,, OldMil, Schaefer. Actually this stuff isn't bad.

It's advertised as a Belgian pilsner. Color is light straw. Decent head that settles down to a thin layer of bubbles. Noise is light citrus.

Taste is nothing special but definitely not bad. Hop bite well under control here. Very light and easy drinking. For the price this is a winner. Easily a sessional, or in between beer. It would make a wonderful river beer. I'll likely increase my supply for summer.

Enjoy great breed my friends!
AggieOO
picked up a 4 pack of this tonight:

anyone tried it?
Marooned_n_Aggieland
Oohhhhhh ... me like wee heavy Scottish Ales!
army01
AG
I'm interested in that one...let us know how it is....I am clearing out space tonight...bottling this weekend, so I am enjoying a Rogue Mocha Porter that I have had for a while.

First Page Last Page
Page 59 of 1791

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.