Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,677,819 Views | 62652 Replies | Last: 9 min ago by swampstander
62strat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
offshore until thurs, since thursday.. no beer make 62strat go CRAZY!
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
quote:
120 min dfh amongst others on tap tonight

Got to have that on my trip to OR a couple weeks ago. Delicious, but yeah, very strong. Not a good idea to go visit Ninkasi brewery, a winery, and have Pliny before consuming!

Aggiespartan,
I'm sorry I completely forgot to answer your question on where we ended up in Portland. We ended up going straight from Corvallis to the airport and drinking in the Rogue bar inside the airport. I wish we had time to check Portland out a little more. Even so, thanks for your help during the trip, it was very much appreciated!
aggiespartan
AG
Last night I had Desecration from Amnesia Brewing, Maharaja IIPA from Avery, Culture Shot from Double Mountain, and Mojo IPA on Nitro tap from Boulder Brewing.

Also had a Bikini Blonde from Kona.
khkman22
AG
What are the thoughts on Breckenridge beers? I bought the sampler pack today and am new to all the craft stuff. I'm thinking all but the Avalanche Ale may be out of my comfort zone, but I figured it was worth a try. If I don't like the stout, IPA and porter, is it because they are not the best or just that my palate needs refining?
Pahdz
I'm a huge fan of the Breck beers. Avalanche to me is very easy drinking, but my favorite might be their Lucky U IPA, which I believe was/is only going to be a special release.
spadilly
S
got a shipment of Beer of the Month yesterday:

Flying Bison Brewery (Buffalo, NY):
-Buffalo IPA (Seasonal)
-Rusty Chain (Vienna style amber)

Santa Fe Brewery (Santa Fe, NM):
-State Pen Porter (which I actually saw at Specs downtown today)
-Nut Brown
TxKng82
AG
Picked up those two Santa Fe brews last time I was at DQ mart. Haven't actually tried them yet though. If you drink one soon let us know how they are.
AggieOO
Austin beer fest was terrible. Wasn't even worth the gas to drive down. Even if you pre bought, just eat the money and buy a couple six packs.
Marooned_n_Aggieland
It's BEERFEST time!

Not one of my favorites but the price was right! Rahr's year arounds are no where near as good as their seasonals.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
New Republic is very good. I recommend anyone in the area to try it out. The dunkleweissan is good, but the amber is excellent. So glad to have a brewery in B/CS.

rhoswen
AG
not a fan
khkman22
AG
Drinking the Breckenridge Vanilla Porter right now and I don't taste any vanilla. It's okay, but if you're going to say it has vanilla in it, I don't think it should be that subtle.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
quote:
not a fan

Of the brewery?
Green Fairy
AG
quote:
Drinking the Breckenridge Vanilla Porter right now and I don't taste any vanilla. It's okay, but if you're going to say it has vanilla in it, I don't think it should be that subtle.

That's strange....the times I've had it the vanilla is evident. Maybe the sixer you got is older and he vanilla mellowed out.
Marooned_n_Aggieland
Re: New Republic

Have had their amber and dunkel on a couple of occasions. Neither of the two got a great reception from my taste buds. I'm glad they are here but can not aggressively recommend either of the two brews. I hoping for better in future offerings and yes I have the glass(es) too.
khkman22
AG
Had the Oatmeal Stout and just not really my style. I'm not a coffee drinker so anything that's a little dark and has a heavier roast to it probably isn't going to be for me, at least until I can't adapt a little. Also didn't really taste any oatmeal. The box had a date of 6/19/12, so it should still be holding its flavor I would think.

I'm not a fan of bitter beers and I've never had an IPA, so thinking about drinking a full one had me a little worried, especially when looking at the IBUs in the description. However, I'm pleasantly surprised at the drinkability of their IPA. It has a hoppy aroma and I thought the taste would be similarly overpowering, but to my surprise it has a nice flavor and is smooth going down. I also don't notice much bitterness like I was expecting. Definitely the best of the three for my tastebuds. I'll save the Avalanche Ale for another day.
NColoradoAG
BSD, sounds like there was plenty of Beat today, and tons left for tomorrow. Did your other guy land some?
rhoswen
AG
quote:
Of the brewery?

of their beers, no. Similar to what MiA said, none of the beers I've had of theirs struck me as "whoa!" I'd just as soon skip them. They're trying, though, and that's a good thing. Hopefully they'll come up with something I'll love.
BSD
AG
quote:
BSD, sounds like there was plenty of Beat today, and tons left for tomorrow. Did your other guy land some?

What's your email? He didn't get a lot but I'll save one for you.
hbc07
AG
nervy - do you still want some boxes for shipping beer back from here? they're about $5-6 each to get here and hold 12 big bottles, various numbers of cans and small bottles, and will cost about $15-$30 each to ship back to texas(depending on weight and such). if so...

bsd - do you still have an extra box or two that i could send you a mailing label tonight to ship to me tomorrow?
BSD
AG
I'm about to head home and I'll check. Wouldn't shipping be more than the $6/box? I'm good either way. And if you like sours beers, let me know.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
quote:
Re: New Republic

Have had their amber and dunkel on a couple of occasions. Neither of the two got a great reception from my taste buds. I'm glad they are here but can not aggressively recommend either of the two brews. I hoping for better in future offerings and yes I have the glass(es) too.

Interesting. I'd agree on them not really standing out. And they are certainly no Karbach or Real Ale, but they do look promising. The Amber tasted somewhat unique. I liked it far better than anything I've had from Rahr. Not sure what the fascination with them in this town is all about.

I am certainly surprised by their choice to do a dunkel. I wonder what beers they will try next.
NColoradoAG
BSD, you are the man. Adam.klett@gmail.com. I'll shoot you a FedEx label and we'll work out payment when I get your email. Thanks so much!
BSD
AG
My first offering from Alpine and I'm impressed. This is a nice IPA.

BSD
AG
quote:
BSD, you are the man. Adam.klett@gmail.com. I'll shoot you a FedEx label and we'll work out payment when I get your email. Thanks so much!

Got it. Will email soon.
Marooned_n_Aggieland
quote:
The Amber tasted somewhat unique. I liked it far better than anything I've had from Rahr. Not sure what the fascination with them in this town is all about.

Unique is one way of describing it and I could agree with that but unique doesn't necessarily mean tasty. I can not agree with the comparison to Rahr. They do a good job bringing German styled beers to the region and I like their seasonals for just that. Perhaps the fascination is that people enjoy the taste of the Rahrs they try? I can't say I hear a lot of great comments about New Republic other than the from local homebrew club.

Again, I am not here to hype nor hinder them. You have some sampler's opinion and that's it. From a business perspective, I hope they become the next Boston Beer Co.
bonfirewillburn
AG
Haha, I think the vanilla porter is too vanilla-y.....
rhoswen
AG
quote:
I liked it far better than anything I've had from Rahr.

just goes to show you how tastes vary, I suppose - I can't really think of a Rahr I haven't liked, and there are many I really like.

And I love the Vanilla Porter. May have to work that one into the mix next time I'm out.
AgDrumma07
AG
My contribution - Shiner and Sam Adams bottle collection. I haven't tried them all yet, and there are a few random bottles from other breweries on the top shelf, but it's always a great conversation piece when people come over.

Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
No worries Marooned... Just one beer guy's opinion to another.

Like Rhos said, tastes do differ.
hbc07
AG
quote:
I'm about to head home and I'll check. Wouldn't shipping be more than the $6/box? I'm good either way. And if you like sours beers, let me know.
Got home too late from to really do anyrthing and am about to crash. will send labels tomorrow morning. i was referring to empty boxes... but if you're shipping them to me with stuff in then it'll be a little more (but i would cover that then, not nervy). sour beers, i enjoy them.
Marooned_n_Aggieland
They're not happy over in the land of the Orange Horn --> Austin Beerfest.

Given this report, I suppose the one we had here was "good".
BSD
AG
Sounds exactly like the Houston thing last summer. Same people?
Marooned_n_Aggieland
I believe there was/is speculation in that direction. So, given that, what is the best beerfest in the state? If you choose to go to only one, which one? The north Texas one coming up?
Marooned_n_Aggieland
Belated BEER time review.

I chose this as a least of the evils from a very disappointing beer case at a local joint on Friday evening. Given where and how I've seen this stuff marketed my expectations were pretty low - a simple lager "for the masses".

Huh, this stuff is actually pretty good. In fact, I was surprised how well this tasted and how the hops are under control and truly compliment rather than overtake. It was not your average cheapy lager.

I would easily choose this one again given similar beer choices.

Enjoy GREAT brews my friends!
First Page Last Page
Page 58 of 1791

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.