Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,671,020 Views | 62636 Replies | Last: 11 hrs ago by maca1028
La Fours
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
wessimo, I get that it is frustrating, but why should Saint Arnold reward an establishment with a limited edition beer if they don't try and sell their every day stuff as well?

Hell, Blackwater Draw and O'Bannons aren't releasing their BB6 until next week or later.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
quote:
Sounds like SA needs some more competition in Houston.

They're is plenty of competition. FSW, Goose Island, Founders, etc. More and more local breweries with world class beers are available. There are plenty of options to choose from these days. That's why I don't see the big deal in withholding a beer from a business you don't see as reciprocating a relationship. It's not like SA is that discriminating with who they give it to. There are Buffalo Wild Wings and a crappy Italian restaurant on 1960 that get BB.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
quote:
wessimo, I get that it is frustrating, but why should Saint Arnold reward an establishment with a limited edition beer if they don't try and sell their every day stuff as well?

Bingo.
cc10106
Rockwell playing the victim card doesn't look good, but i don't blame them for not succumbing to Saint Arnold's demands. I'm sure if they thought that permanently carrying SA was better for business, they would, but it doesn't seem that way.
wessimo
AG
SA is free to do this if they want just as I am free to disagree with the practice and drink less of their beer in the future.
wessimo
AG
Dp

[This message has been edited by wessimo (edited 2/18/2014 2:39p).]

[This message has been edited by wessimo (edited 2/18/2014 2:41p).]
army01
AG
FW Central Market had 4 cases of BCBCS. No singles -- only in 4 packs.

Noir variants did not make it through the door. Pricing issues.
maca1028
Never thought I'd say this...I want to be in Dallas.
Jock 07
AG
On the other side of town today and found a liquor store stocked up on supplication and temptation so I grabbed one of each
defroach
Anyone had any luck with BB in Austin? Mainly, I want a to-go place...not a place to drink it on site.
wessimo
AG
When are the bcs variants hitting Houston?
La Fours
AG
defroach, about the only place I can think of in\around Austin would be Growler Room. But I don't know for sure.
defroach
Apparently, Draughthouse had it but sold out quickly. I was thinking craft pride, but I wont be able to make it down there (they open at 4 and I go to work at 5PM since I now am on a night shift).
army01
AG
I want to be in Colorado Springs....

Jock -- What stores do you go to in the Springs?
AggieOO
Got mine in the past at craft pride.
jah003
S
quote:
Anyone had any luck with BB in Austin? Mainly, I want a to-go place...not a place to drink it on site.

Kind of a hike, but Stanley's out at Jester King always has them.... They always sit for at least a few weekends.
AggieOO
Dig pub has iy, but prob cant leave with it.
Jock 07
AG
Decent but enjoy by is much much better

Jock 07
AG
quote:
army01
posted 3:51p, 02/18/14

J&K on powers is my go to spot for everything sans RRBC due to it being the closest to me, even though it's still bout 15 miles each way. I've had the most luck finding Pliny at Cheers Liquor Mart. Thy don't put it out on the shelf and if I'm in the area I'll call and ask em if they have any. I'm actually successful about 1/2 the time there. Coaltrain is probably regarded as the best selection in town, but as so they're usually the first sold out of the rarer stuff. They post on their website when they have Pliny in. I went to Carson's liquor down in fountain today since I was down that way getting my thumb MRIed. They by far are the hidden gym in the area. They're in a small unassuming spot next to a Safeway but have a strong to quite strong selection. By far the best chance of finding RRBC sours apparently. Since they're mor hidden they seem to hold onto stuff longer, for instance, they still had a few bottles of uncle Jacob's on the shelf today. On another note I still can't believe how cheap Pliny is when compared to similar IPA bombers.

[This message has been edited by Jock 07 (edited 2/18/2014 5:11p).]
Hub05
AG
This weeks provisions

Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
quote:
Per Rockwell's FB page, SA is withholding BB6 unless Rockwell commits to having a permanent SA tap. Maybe this is smart business but it really rubs me the wrong way. Local craft breweries should not be bullying restaurants - this seems like something AB would do. As more and more breweries come online (or come to TX) this kind of thing is only going to get worse.

Pretty much all breweries do it though. I know my little bar I go to up here in McKinney keeps Deschutes, Stone and SA on all the time for this very reason.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Wife picked up RU-55, Coffee Noir and Vanilla Noir after work for me.
Green Fairy
AG
quote:
quote:
Looks like Odell is doing it right. They are going to be in pretty much all major markets from the beginning. I just looked at their website showing the Texas event info, and they will be in Brazos County next week. In bars for sure, not sure about in package stores. We still don't have Firestone Walker here in BCS.

Pardon my ignorance, but why the excitement for Odells? I took a look at their website and didn't see anything that jumped out at me. Are all of their beers really good or is there something in particular they do that's awesome? I've never heard of them so I'm curious as to the reason for the excitement.

Myrcenary. All you need to know.
turfman80
AG
and their IPA. Heaven.
Ags #1
AG
Found dr13 and pumpkinator at D&q this afternoon
NColoradoAG
quote:
Pardon my ignorance, but why the excitement for Odells? I took a look at their website and didn't see anything that jumped out at me. Are all of their beers really good or is there something in particular they do that's awesome? I've never heard of them so I'm curious as to the reason for the excitement.

Nothing that makes beer geeks wet, but they make great beer top to bottom. I buy more Odell's than any other brewery. Cutthroat porter and their IPA are so solid. Myrcenary is a great double IPA. The seasonals are all tasty. St. Lupulin (spring seasonal) is my lawnmower beer. I hope they keep fresh stock for you guys. Definitely don't sleep on Odell.
turfman80
AG
Stop. You're getting me hard.
BSD
AG
If I could still drink regularly, I'd back up the truck for Myrcenary. It's probably the best DIPA to be sold in Texas.
maca1028
New floors today, deserves a new beer.
army01
AG
quote:
quote:
army01
posted 3:51p, 02/18/14

J&K on powers is my go to spot for everything sans RRBC due to it being the closest to me, even though it's still bout 15 miles each way. I've had the most luck finding Pliny at Cheers Liquor Mart. Thy don't put it out on the shelf and if I'm in the area I'll call and ask em if they have any. I'm actually successful about 1/2 the time there. Coaltrain is probably regarded as the best selection in town, but as so they're usually the first sold out of the rarer stuff. They post on their website when they have Pliny in. I went to Carson's liquor down in fountain today since I was down that way getting my thumb MRIed. They by far are the hidden gym in the area. They're in a small unassuming spot next to a Safeway but have a strong to quite strong selection. By far the best chance of finding RRBC sours apparently. Since they're mor hidden they seem to hold onto stuff longer, for instance, they still had a few bottles of uncle Jacob's on the shelf today. On another note I still can't believe how cheap Pliny is when compared to similar IPA bombers.

[This message has been edited by Jock 07 (edited 2/18/2014 5:11p).]

Been to Coaltrain, and they definitely had a solid collection. Was just curious if there was any place better for my next trip through. Thanks!
army01
AG
quote:
If I could still drink regularly, I'd back up the truck for Myrcenary. It's probably the best DIPA to be sold in Texas.
IvanAg07
AG
Anyone tried the Clown Lounge yet?

Also, any idea of the abv on this one? I know Rodeo clown alone is 9.5, just wondering if the bourbon barrel added any.
La Fours
AG
Ivan, I had one last week. It was pretty good. Worth getting one to drink. I equated it to a barrel aged barley wine, but lighter. Not sure on the abv. Probably 10 or 11%.
IvanAg07
AG
I've got 2 sitting in the fridge. Been wanting to open one since Monday, but holding off.

Thanks for the update La.
DonaldFDraper
AG
quote:

Yup. I remember a few years ago I landed in Denver late one night (after 9PM), stopped into Cherry Cricket for a burger, they had a reverse happy hour and a full pint of Myrcenary was $3. It was incredible.
First Page Last Page
Page 383 of 1790

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.