Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,678,778 Views | 62661 Replies | Last: 5 min ago by dave99ag
aggiespartan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Doggie Claws was a little too bitter for me. I may have to try some of their other beers though.
jetch17
AG
just finished it, got alot sweeter as it warmed.

its a good brew, just need to be in the mood for something sweeter, but as to be expected with a barleywine.
BSD
AG
I'll have to open one sometime soon. I was going to open it last night but went with Jolly Pumpkin instead after we killed all the Pliny's. JPs are some damn fine beers! Unfortunately, I had too many, was severely hungover and missed my flight today. As I sped to get to the game party, a nice officer of the law stopped to tell me that I was going 25 mph over the speed limit. Had he given me a breathalyzer, I would have probably failed from last night's residuals!
hbc07
AG
maybe i shouldn't be sending you so much
BSD
AG
Nah, I wouldn't go that far!
Marooned_n_Aggieland
It's BIG Monday and the Ags are on TV! Post your beer of choice for the game.
aggiespartan
AG
We had a couple beers at Widmer earlier. I had their Kellerbier and it was pretty tasty. Tried a *****ly Pear Mead and it was a little too much for me.
Marooned_n_Aggieland

Interesting labels. The chocolate gets high reviews.
AggieOO
Picked up a scratchin' hippo from addlebert's. Austin's brand spankin' new all Belgian style brewery.

[This message has been edited by AggieOO (edited 2/7/2012 4:28p).]
NColoradoAG
Marooned_n_Aggieland

This is what I'm working on tonight. BA's opinion. This is my 2nd cream ale style beer. The first was the Little Kings. This easily beats that.

I would not call myself a big fan of this style mainly because the taste is not bold and distinctive. With that said don't mistake it for a bad taste. This would make a great session or "in between" beer. Almost no bitterness. The brewery touts this beer's head and as you can see it does have that.

The beer is pretty smooth and would work well for someone that wants to drink beers with a group but really does not like some of the bolder aspects of beer.
gordo97
AG
My favorite "cream ale" style beer is Wexford Irish cream ale...... Some of the larger specs usually have them
kwammer
For the Dallas folks, Deep Ellum Brewing is releasing 300 bottles of Cherry Chocolate Double Brown Stout for Valentine's day. Only available at Bolsa Mercado on Saturday from 1pm-Until they are gone.
BSD
AG
Founders Pale Ale for happy hour.

jah003
S
Tonights selection...

Marooned_n_Aggieland
Hmm BSD, I see the brew is from Grand Rapids. I might find myself in Grand Rapids this summer. Report in if this is worth seeking out at the brewery itself.
aggiespartan
AG
You should head over to Bell's Brewery in Kalamazoo too...they have an excellent wheat (Oberon).
Marooned_n_Aggieland
Spartan, you drinkin' tonight?
aggiespartan
AG
yea...not exactly sure what yet. It's only 6:30 here and hbc isn't home yet. I have a Pike Naughty Nellie golden ale and a Laughing Dog cream ale in the fridge right now.
Marooned_n_Aggieland
It's BEER TIME!

Tonight's selection is Big Sky's Bobo's Robust Porter. Ok, this one grabbed me with the first sip. Wow, there is a lot of dark, rich flavor going on with this pitch black brew! You quickly get a hit of dark chocolate, maybe a hint of coffee bean. Not bitter at all and very drinkable. Nice foamy brown suds quiets down to a thin layer at the top of my beer.

This is a good beer. It's bold but not all up in your face. My early tastings of Big Sky products were not all that well received (e.g. Trout Slayer) but this one is definitely in the win column. Their pic says limited release so I'm glad a grabbed this at Central Market.

Enjoy great brews my friends ...

[This message has been edited by Marooned_n_Aggieland (edited 2/7/2012 9:12p).]
AgDrumma07
AG
New Belgium Dig. Just...yum.
BSD
AG
This was my first Founders beer and it was a solid pale ale...an easy drinker with some nice floral notes and a balanced hops profile. I ended up at a place that served their Centennial IPA and it was nice too. I have a four pack of Double Trouble to being home so I'll report back on those later. Based on reputation...yeah, visit them and Bell's, which I have a sixer of Hopslam coming home with me as well.

PS. If you're ever in ATL, swing by the Porter beer bar. The selection is incredible!!!!
army01
AG
Today's purchases...

Espresso Oak Aged Yeti
Grand Cru Abbey Ale
Young's Double Chocolate
2010 Burton Baton (x2)
2011 Burton Baton (x2)

Jock 07
AG
Speaking of Bell's; Just got done drinking the a Third Coast Old Ale (Barley Wine) One of the best Barley Wines you can find. However, their hopslam ties Surly's Abrasive Ale & DFH Burton Baton for the best DIPA available*

*Still have not been fortunate enough to taste a Pliny.
AggieOO
The gf and I went to Whip-In last night. I had a Dancin' Monk from Adelbert's, which was fantastic. Can't wait to crack the bottle of Scratchin' Hippo I have at home. Also had a 512 Pecan Porter, which was the first time I'd had that. It was quite tasty as well.
True Anomaly
AG
I am so late to this party.

Had this last night on tap- excellent barleywine with more hops presence

I was able to find this at one of my local hangouts- dropped $25 for a bottle, but it was un-****ing-believable. Definitely one of my new favorite breweries:

"Ya gotta love livin', baby, 'cause dyin's a PAIN IN THE ASS!" -Frank Sinatra

[This message has been edited by True Anomaly (edited 2/8/2012 1:27p).]

[This message has been edited by True Anomaly (edited 2/8/2012 1:34p).]
gordo97
AG
seems like there is more & more ales aged in whiskey or bourbon barrels coming out..... i love it!!!!

i have this "rum-aged" gem sitting in my fridge..... waiting for the right opportunity to try it since i only have 1 bottle

OleDublinBobcat
Had a Kirin Ichiban for the first time last night. I very much enjoyed it. Japanese beers are batting 1.000 in my book.
Marooned_n_Aggieland
This thread has had an upswing of awesome looking brews! T minus 120 minutes until IRON JOE CASK!
DonaldFDraper
AG
quote:
T minus 120 minutes until IRON JOE CASK!

I've had it. Pretty good.
Green Fairy
AG
Gordo, where did you get that? Looks interesting.

Just cracked open a SuperCru from the Lips of Faith series. It definintely has the aroma of pears, and is slightly sweet from the pear juice. It's not bad, but I'd probably go with many other choices before picking it up again.
Marooned_n_Aggieland

It has begun! Great coffee flavor!
bonfirewillburn
AG
Breckenridge sampler tonight - oatmeal stout dark is pretty tasty!
jetch17
AG
Marooned, do you get chronic rumbleguts only drinking stouts & porters all the time?
jetch17
AG
I've been drinking Mythos beer with Greek food all night
First Page Last Page
Page 35 of 1791

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.