Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,674,266 Views | 62645 Replies | Last: 21 min ago by FancyKetchup14
Marooned_n_Aggieland
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Moderation, moderation! It's winter therefore dark beer season. Soon it will be hefe season and the porters and sts will be behind us.
jetch17
AgDrumma07
AG
What is this "moderation" you speak of?
Marooned_n_Aggieland
So the Iron Joe is good but the Guatemalan coffee takes complete control over the beer leaving little trace of the Iron Thistle behind. I'm still pondering if I like that approach.

Plenty of other good casks on the horizon so the Spring is looking bright. Oh no, more dark beer on the way before then!
aggiespartan
AG
having Pike Naughty Nellie golden artisan ale. It's decent but it's not really what I expected from a golden ale.
hbc07
AG
John Barleycorn Barleywine for me tonight. Not my favorite barleywine, but not bad.
duck79
AG
Speaking of Porters. Alaskan will be in Texas starting next month. Alaskan Smoked Porter is amazing!!
gordo97
AG
Gordo, where did you get that? Looks interesting.

i get it from atlanta. either when i go up there or my friends come down to h-town. that's the pipline for all my innis & gunn needs!!!!
jetch17
AG
picked up these at lunch

jetch17
AG
other ones that caught my eye, may go back later this week for another run, do yall have any opinions?

Left Hand Milk Nitro

Left Coast brews

New Real Ale Seasonal

Avery Dictators? Ive had the Maharajah, hows the Czar?
aggiespartan
AG
Rogue has a chipotle ale I'm kind of interested in. Has anybody else had it before?
jetch17
AG
peppers in beer can either be really good if done well, or REALLY sh*tty.

Rogue typically has thier sh*t together so im guessing it would be alright. Try it out and report back!
aggiespartan
AG
I've been looking for it on tap somewhere where I could just try a taster, but I haven't seen it anywhere, even at their brew house. I guess I may just have to get a bottle sometime.

here it is for reference

[This message has been edited by aggiespartan (edited 2/9/2012 12:49p).]
AgDrumma07
AG
quote:
peppers in beer can either be really good if done well, or REALLY sh*tty.

Here's a REALLY sh*tty one:

http://twistedpinebrewing.com/blog/brews/timberline-year-rounds/billys-chillies/
aggiespartan
AG
yea I wouldn't be very inclined to try anything like that from a brewery I had never heard of.
AgDrumma07
AG
Eh, we were microbrew hopping in Ft. Collins last summer and it came on a sampler tray. It was probably the only sampler I didn't finish on the whole trip.
jetch17
AG
ive said it once, ill say it again, the Cave Creek Chili beer is one of the worst things to ever hit my lips.

AggieOO
jetch -

I LOVE Left Hand Milk Stout, but I've not tried the nitro yet.

I picked up both of those Left Coasts a couple weeks ago b/c they were on sale. I liked the Boardwalk, but haven't tried the other yet. I'd give a little better description, but I downed a bottle of Tripel before opening the Boardwalk, so I didn't make too many mental notes.
Marooned_n_Aggieland

jetch, new competition!

--- Edit ---

I be damn, Drumma beat me to it!

[This message has been edited by Marooned_n_Aggieland (edited 2/9/2012 1:59p).]
AgDrumma07
AG
Sorry, I was too lazy to follow Rule #1
gordo97
AG
chilli beer makes me think of diaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaareah
Marooned_n_Aggieland
Rule 1 should be near mandatory in this thread when discussing a brew!
gordo97
AG
currently browsing different beer stores in SF area for my upcoming trip....... wow....... i will have to bring 6 suitcases considering the selection........... how much beer can i bring back with me so texas beer cops don't bust my chops?
Jab
AG
I had a bottle of Rogue's Chipotle Ale a few weeks back paired with some homemade chicken enchiladas and I highly recommend it. The pepper flavor is surprisingly mild and it's actually very drinkable. I can be a titty baby when it comes to hot spices, so trust me when I say that this stuff is not hot at all. (No need to watch your cornhole, jetch.)

I tried it for kicks thinking it was just a novelty but I'd definitely drink it again if i didn't have so many other beers on my must-try list.

[This message has been edited by Jab (edited 2/9/2012 3:03p).]
jetch17
AG
im all for trying stuff that is subtle like some of the better craft guys are doing like Rogue or the Stone Epic 11.11.11

but the ones like pictured above that are basically piss with pickled jalapeno juice mixed in are the definition of ass.
Marooned_n_Aggieland
... and yet ...

... Billy's Chilies gets a HIGHER GRADE that Shiner Bock! I find this entertaining to say the least.
BSD
AG
quote:
.. how much beer can i bring back with me so texas beer cops don't bust my chops?

The airlines wont give a ****. It isn't their job to care.
gordo97
AG
i did say that in jest..... i'm sure the airlines would love to see 6 ginormous suitcases full of beer bottles for all the piece/weight surcharges that would bring in
BSD
AG
Yeah, they'll gladly accept your cash! I get out there tomorrow and plan on utilizing the SW bags (boxes) fly free perk.

(sadly that is a "perk" these days)
Green Fairy
AG
Posted this on the Houston beer thread, but this one gets a lot more action....

The guy working the beer counter today at the Bellaire Whole Foods mentioned that he called Karbach about getting Hellfighter kegs, and they told him they were about 2 weeks from releasing a bourbon barrel aged beer. He wasn't sure of the style beer, but seemed to think it was an all new offering. He has 3 kegs headed his way for the store from what he says. Not sure if he's talking out his ass, but that's what he told me.

aggiespartan
AG
just found out that one of the bars here has $2 craft beer pints on Valentine's day...we may have to head over there for a drink at some point.
jah003
S
jetch... I would certainly do the Milk Stout on Nitro! Had my first one this past weekend and was a fan. I will tell you, though, I haven't met a Nitro I didn't enjoy.
Marooned_n_Aggieland
It's BEER TIME!

Tonight it is another Hawaiian coconut brew. I was able to pick a couple cans of the Maui porter for testing. Ba's opinion. The nose is very inviting and was a good welcome. Lots of roasty goodness and maybe a hint of coffee.

Just look at that Ba review, a 90 with a couple hundred reviews. Well, it is a good porter but it didn't deliver the coconut taste to my tongue. Maybe it's just me. It's medium sweetness and a taste of nuts. Bitterness is well in check. Still no coconut.

Overall it's drinkable but I will easily put the Kona Brewing line ahead of this. So far the Kona Koko Brown is my favorite out of these island beers.

Enjoy great brews my friends!
corndog04
AG
Where Spartan?
gordo97
AG
Having a lips of faith super Cru right now..... Not bad at all.... Slightly fruity due to the "Asian pear" and very smooth considering it's 10%

First Page Last Page
Page 36 of 1790

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.