Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,643,867 Views | 62617 Replies | Last: 34 min ago by swampstander
aggiechris06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Had the Imperial White at my birthday party 2 years ago at which everyone brought a different beer to try. Granted there was nothing super expensive or super fancy at said party, but it was my favorite of the day. Probably my favorite Sam Adams I've had.
NColoradoAG
Jock, looks like I was able to lock down 6 bottles of thensaurum. One or two are yours. How much was the Swingline?
Jock 07
AG
Sweet, I really appreciate it. Like 19 I think iirc

[This message has been edited by Jock 07 (edited 8/25/2013 4:54p).]
Jock 07
AG
quote:
wrightb
posted 2:59p, 08/25/13

Have any of you tried the Sam Adams Double Bock or the Emperial White? Thoughts or comments on either of those beers?

Actually had the double bock last week at the Manitou lager fest. I was pleasantly surprised, it was actually really really good.
maca1028
I'm still pretty new to the aging thing, which of these should I let sit, and which should I open soon?
aggiechris06
AG
quote:
I'm still pretty new to the aging thing, which of these should I let sit, and which should I open soon?

Gosh, I hate to tell you, but all of those are ones you should have consumed a long time ago. Don't worry though, I'll take them off your hands and dispose of them for you, free of charge. PM me for my address and you can send em my way
maca1028
Jock 07
AG
Usually anything hop centric like IPAs are best drunk fresh. Higher alcohol % like barleywines and double anythings are good for aging
BSD
AG
That Damnation 23 should be ready to go.
maca1028
I've been eyeing the damnation for a few weeks, thanks for the introduction to RRBC.

Decided to go with this one tonight

BSD
AG
I think the Damnation was bought in October of '11 so it has some age on it already.
BSD
AG
Whoever gets this as a beer fridge will receive a Dark Lord from me to be the first beer to stock it with. It would be a fitting tribute to such fine refridgerating craftsmanship.

maca1028
army01
AG
My light saber just turn on by itself....
NColoradoAG
Maca, I try and only age beers I've had fresh. Otherwise, what's the point? I haven't found many brews other than lambic that get much better with age. Parabola and Bourbon County Brand Stout, along with a select few barleywines are the only ones I've found improved even slightly.

The best candidate I see for aging there is the black butte.

Drink up!
NColoradoAG
I'm taking Bruery White Chocolate off my list for the Bama bottleshare unless any of you really want to try it.

It is an unholy mess of a beer right now. 2012 was great with some age and in a small pour, but 2013 is all over the place. Definitely needs some time.
army01
AG
Had a Goose Island 25th Anniversary tonight. Okay...but nothing special.

maca1028
quote:
Maca, I try and only age beers I've had fresh. Otherwise, what's the point? I haven't found many brews other than lambic that get much better with age. Parabola and Bourbon County Brand Stout, along with a select few barleywines are the only ones I've found improved even slightly.

The best candidate I see for aging there is the black butte.

Drink up!

Once I figure out my game weekend schedule, I'll add a few to the bottle share
La Fours
AG
quote:
I'm taking Bruery White Chocolate off my list for the Bama bottleshare unless any of you really want to try it.

It is an unholy mess of a beer right now. 2012 was great with some age and in a small pour, but 2013 is all over the place. Definitely needs some time.

Sounds like a good plan NoCol. There are plenty of other beers that will be there.
jh0400
AG
Buffalo Trace Barrel-aged Sour Krunkin Pumpkin

wessimo
AG
That's a mouthful.

Btw I wish Karbach would can the regular Hellfighter.
maca1028
Is that happening at downtown saucer?
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
LOL @ "SMALL POURS" - at least their upfront about it.
wessimo
AG
Folks on BA are insinuating that 'sour' was added to the name because it is infected. Have to wonder how often that happens. Sour beers are all the rage so it would seem to be a shrewd move.
defroach
I made this the other day for all the Texas breweries.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnWkkVrImx3qdFNQRVhuejhCSDZ5TllveFZsX0toTXc#gid=0

It shows all the current TX breweries and their tour times. Feel free to edit if you notice anything wrong (pretty sure it is right for them though).
jh0400
AG
quote:

Folks on BA are insinuating that 'sour' was added to the name because it is infected. Have to wonder how often that happens. Sour beers are all the rage so it would seem to be a shrewd move.

I've had two beers that were accidentally infected. One was Laughing Dog's Alpha Dog IPA, and it was really good. The other was Santa Fe's barrel-aged barley wine. It was terrible.
Robert C. Christian
AG
http://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnWkkVrImx3qdFNQRVhuejhCSDZ5TllveFZsX0toTXc#gid=0

Updated the link to not include https:// because for some reason TexAgs hates it.
jetch17
AG
Back from banned camp ... Cutting back my weekday beer drinking a bit starting today, but sticking to good sh*t on weekends and football season
MADDUD
Spotted Cow cream ale from New Glarus Brewing Company, Wisconsin .
La Fours
AG
quote:

It wouldn't surprise me if it happened by accident but tasted good so they kept it. That's how the New Republic Astrolabe happened. They were brewing skylight using a new recipe for it with lower ibu's and it got infected. But it tasted good so they kept it and will blend it for the final product.
jah003
S
Had this last night...

If you happen across it... buy it. I was really impressed with this one for how easy it is to obtain (In Austin anyway).
The Beer and I
Jah,
I liked it too. It was very good, easy to find, and reasonably priced. Can't say that about most good beers nowadays.
dave99ag
AG
Enjoyed Karbachtoberfest last night. Love me some marzens!
The Beer and I
Drinking some of this tonight:

It's pretty good, lots of coffee, but I was kinda expecting more of a stout.
Jock 07
AG
quote:
Had this last night...

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee203/jah003/IMG_0320_zps6b6617b0.jpg[/IMG]

If you happen across it... buy it. I was really impressed with this one for how easy it is to obtain (In Austin anyway).

Nice to hear. Have had a bottle of it for a while but haven't gotten into it yet
First Page Last Page
Page 279 of 1790

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.