Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,673,350 Views | 62640 Replies | Last: 36 sec ago by Kyle98
maca1028
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Went with the black butte xxv, and it delivered
NColoradoAG
Strat, get your ass over to Crabtree. Ill be here until closing time.

Rebel Rye is awesome

62strat
AG
Damn sorry dude, at the Rockies/giants game. I'm not up in Greeley quite as much anymore since I'm working out of our Denver office, I'll hit you up when I am.
Jock 07
AG
For all you GABF attendees:
http://blogs.denverpost.com/beer/2013/08/26/crooked-stave-staging-major-new-barrel-aged-beer-festival-gabf-week/11184/
BSD
AG
Jock, I saw that email last night. I had planned on attending GABF this year but that has obviously changed. Who all is going from here?

WorkBoots09
AG
defroach, thanks for that awesome spreadsheet! Good info on there.
aggiejz
AG
I'm going to GABF, and now I'm really torn on Friday. I'm going to the Pints for Prostates Rare Beer tasting and was planning to do the Friday afternoon session since that's when my Denver friends wanted to do it, but I'd almost rather go to the WTF thing. Hmmmmmmmm.
Jock 07
AG
Dependent on my work schedule and ticket availability I might hit it up. However, if the tickets go as fast as I would expect them to I doubt I'll make it as I won't know my schedule soon enough
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
quote:
Folks on BA are insinuating that 'sour' was added to the name because it is infected. Have to wonder how often that happens. Sour beers are all the rage so it would seem to be a shrewd move.

This happened with a barrel aged Krunkin Punkin at Hay Merchant last year. Took a sip and said 'WTF' - they apologized and took it down.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
quote:
If you happen across it... buy it. I was really impressed with this one for how easy it is to obtain (In Austin anyway).

This. In Houston too. There are a lot of good beers that are widely available and pretty affordable, but you have a line of beer hypebeasts buying out all the Cherries of Fire in town.

But yeah, that Grand Cru is great...and collecting dust on most shelves.
NColoradoAG
Aggiejz, I'm going to both Rare Beer and WTF, and you should too!

There'll even be time to get burger at Capitol Grille or Vine Street or a Sandwich at Denver Teds or Earls between festivals.

Rare beer - 1 to 4pm McNichols Civic Center Building

WTF - 6 to 10pm Sherman Event Center
AlaskanAg99
AG
I'll be at GABF w/ my wife stewarding the competition. We arrive Tuesday and the comp starts Wednesday morning. 4th year stewarding and 5th year overall.
AlaskanAg99
AG
quote:
Folks on BA are insinuating that 'sour' was added to the name because it is infected. Have to wonder how often that happens. Sour beers are all the rage so it would seem to be a shrewd move.

Anytime you barrel age something you run the risk of infection. All sort of things live in the staves. If it's a lacto/pedio infection and it works, then sure, call it something else and sell it. If it's acetobacter, then you're rather fooked and it's a drain pour.

Same thing happened with some Cigar City bbl beers, but they ran it through their bottling line and infected the line which then produced sour everything in the bottle for awhile.

New Belgium flash pasturizes all their beer prior to it hitting their bottling line, which 'freezes' the taste profile in the bottle. They don't develop with age (in terms of becoming more sour/funky).

Then there's Jester King that suddenly went 'Farmhouse' and played it off.
gordo97
AG
I've had two beers that were accidentally infected. One was Laughing Dog's Alpha Dog IPA, and it was really good. The other was Santa Fe's barrel-aged barley wine. It was terrible.

I still have 1 bottle of that Santa Fe infected crap left..... don't know what to do with it
jh0400
AG
quote:
I still have 1 bottle of that Santa Fe infected crap left..... don't know what to do with it

I bought mine at the brewery, and no one there bother to mentioned that it was infected to me.
NColoradoAG
I'm still dumbfounded by the way Santa Fe handled that beer.
jh0400
AG
The bad thing is that I actually liked a couple of their beers, but I will have a hard time ever buying them again on principle.
La Fours
AG
I had a bottle of the Kickin' Chicken or whatever it was called. I didn't think it was bad. Maybe my pallate was already jacked from something else when I drank it.
AggieOO
HEB had all the Goose Island 750s marked down to $2. I just stocked up.
jah003
S
quote:
HEB had all the Goose Island 750s marked down to $2. I just stocked up.

Wait.. What!? Which HEB? That's almost drive worthy...
AggieOO
McNeil crossing in Austin. I didn't clean them out, but I bought about half.
jah003
S
quote:
McNeil crossing in Austin. I didn't clean them out, but I bought about half.

So... the one on the intersection of McNeil and Parmer? Leave any Sofie?
AggieOO
Yep, still some.

Only one they don't have is Pierre Jacques. I got the last two.
jah003
S
quote:
Yep, still some.

Only one they don't have is Pierre Jacques. I got the last two.

Thanks man!

I was able to snag the last matilda, the last Sofie, and 4 Pepe nero's. All for 12 bucks!

I owe you a beer or three...
wessimo
AG
Dang, I love a great beer bargain
AggieOO
jah - guessing you are up in this area, so maybe i'll take you up on that!
jah003
S
quote:
jah - guessing you are up in this area, so maybe i'll take you up on that!

Close-ish. We are in Cedar Park right off 620. We frequent the Dig Pub (Don't know how close that is), so next time I'm up there I'll let you know.
AggieOO
I'm right at parmer/mcneil. we go to dig sometimes...i'll usually pair it with a trip to Hamricks.
jah003
S
quote:
I'm right at parmer/mcneil. we go to dig sometimes...i'll usually pair it with a trip to Hamricks.

I'll probably hit up the dig next week. Just shoot me an email sometime: jah 003 at shsu dot edu
La Fours
AG
Here's a little gift from a friend who brought this back from Paris for me.

jetch17
AG
boner
bevokilla
AG
I had the De Proefbrouwerij / Cigar City Tropical Tripel at The Saucer last night. Was not expecting it to be good but it was fantastic.
NColoradoAG
quote:

I had the De Proefbrouwerij / Cigar City Tropical Tripel at The Saucer last night. Was not expecting it to be good but it was fantastic.

Agreed. I love it when a beer with low personal expectations turns out to be awesome. It's like striping a 290 yard drive down the center after a double bogey.
jah003
S
Atrial rubicite limit is officially 3. I'm just not gonna be able to help anyone out at that #, sorry guys. I will see if I can buy a few off some friends who are coming with me.
La Fours
AG
jah - I'd like to claim 1 bottle if you can score extras.
First Page Last Page
Page 280 of 1790

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.