Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,715,467 Views | 62710 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by SoTxAg
AggieOO
How long do you want to ignore this user?
if people make it worth my while, i'll go.

seriously though, i was going to go, but that beer doesn't look appealing at all.

---------------------------------------
http://www.yourbodyisyourengine.com
RRCA Certified Running Coach
Robert C. Christian
AG
Got a sixer of the Iron Swan and it is looking like a poor choice. Can't put my finger on it but it just tastes bad.
The Beer and I
I thought Iron Swan was pretty good. I'm having a Bells Midwestern Pale Ale, and it's definitely my least favorite Bells so far.
dave99ag
AG
I wouldn't turn down Iron Swan, but Real Ale has better offerings from their lineup. I'd stick with #4.
La Fours
AG
I think The Sword is Real Ales best offering to date that I've had.

Robert C. Christian
AG
Iron Swan is definitely my least favorite. 4 squared is easily #1 for me.
aggiejz
AG
Polishing off my little Odell supply tonight (thanks to 62strat for these).. Myrcenary, 90 shilling, and 5 Barrel Pale Ale. Really like all 3 - always been a big fan of Myrcenary, but this is my first time having 5 Barrel and I like it quite a bit as well. I need to move to Colorado..
Jock 07
AG
Nope we have too many of you Texans up here
army01
AG
Cracked a Stone Collaboration Dayman tonight.

Solid beer. Wish I had picked up another. Hopefully wƘƘtstout is as good.
62strat
AG
Yeh my wife drinks the 5 barrel all the time when we're out. And 90 shilling is my on and off go-to.
maca1028
quote:
Cracked a Stone Collaboration Dayman tonight.

Solid beer. Wish I had picked up another. Hopefully wƘƘtstout is as good.

Where did you find that?
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
quote:
I think The Sword is Real Ales best offering to date that I've had.

This. Not sure what you other guys are tasting.
army01
AG
I've had it for a month or so. Found it at Total Wine in Fort Worth.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Holy aged IPA. Dayman is an old beer and wasn't that great fresh, just like most of Stone's Collabs. Wootstout isn't horrible, one of their better releases.

Enjoy By is still the best new thing in a decade.
NColoradoAG
Dayman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzaVd6zl2bA

[This message has been edited by NColoradoAG (edited 8/29/2013 11:26a).]
army01
AG
quote:
Holy aged IPA. Dayman is an old beer and wasn't that great fresh, just like most of Stone's Collabs. Wootstout isn't horrible, one of their better releases.

Enjoy By is still the best new thing in a decade.

I've liked several of the collaborations. TBA was good. Mint Chocolate stout was awesome. Dayman might have even been better.

Is it old? Somewhat. But that is what happens in Texas. We get old beer. Yes - I sat on it for a bit, but bottom line is, it takes a while for us to get things in the state, and then BEK sits on it a little while longer. I don't think we say Enjoy by 7/4 until halfway through June.

But thanks for your comments.
Falcon85
AG
Coming to CS for the game Saturday, are there any especially interesting beers or new releases at HEB or Specs?
raw-radio
Can't wait for the dark beers of the winter. Ready for st.arnold pumpkinator, real ale coffee porter, st Arnold stout etc. I'm more of a dark beer guy but I've been drinking a lot of blonde ales lately. Would highly recommend no label 1st street ale, and real ale brewers cut kolsch. Both are very balanced, 1st street has a nice crispness to it probably from the rice used the mash. The kolsch is very balanced as well with a crisp finish and citrusy notes.
AlaskanAg99
AG
quote:
I've liked several of the collaborations. TBA was good. Mint Chocolate stout was awesome. Dayman might have even been better.

Is it old? Somewhat. But that is what happens in Texas. We get old beer. Yes - I sat on it for a bit, but bottom line is, it takes a while for us to get things in the state, and then BEK sits on it a little while longer. I don't think we say Enjoy by 7/4 until halfway through June.

Living in San Diego it's just different. Stone used to be cutting edge, but then they became about expansions and distro (one of the few good things they do well), $18 duck tacos and now a hotel. Meanwhile most of the beer they make has become average.

For the amount of hype they generate their beer for a large part, is run-of-the-mill. Well made but lacking imagination. Wait till you get the Coconut IPA. Another Yawner, and it's already left the shelves in SD.

Their IRS and Enjoy By are the only 2 beers worth looking at anymore.
army01
AG
quote:
For the amount of hype they generate their beer for a large part, is run-of-the-mill.

Agree to disagree?
La Fours
AG
NCol

[This message has been edited by La Fours (edited 8/29/2013 2:08p).]
army01
AG
Hang on...I just went back to this....

quote:
Well made but lacking imagination.

I can't talk to the Coconut IPA (though I have herad it doesn't taste like coconut), but how in the hell is a coffee IPA not original? I don't think I have seen another one. W00tstout is another fairly original idea...or did you mean just their base beers?
ag4life74
AG
Tried some Lone Star for the first time since the 70's. It is really good. Not as much flavor as some of the craft beers, but very much better than Coors
The Beer and I
Saying that their SSR, Arrogant ******* (and Lucky/Double *******), and IPAs aren't worth looking at is wrong. Beer doesn't have to be innovative to be great. Ask the country of Belgium.

[This message has been edited by The beer and i (edited 8/29/2013 2:37p).]
NColoradoAG
All collaboration brews are hit or miss, regardless of the breweries involved. For every NB /Alpine Super IPA, Deschutes/HotD Collage, or Dayman you get a NB/Lost Abbey Brett Beer, Founders/Green Flash Linchpin, or BrewDog/Three Floyd's ***** Please.

So, this is going down tonight. Football is finally here. I am so excite!

CollinAB
AG
Got some St. Arnold Icon Gold. Enjoying some for the start of the football season. Pretty good stuff. But I could drink just about anything with football on.
La Fours
AG
I'm having a 'Merica by Prairie tonight in honor of it being the start of college football.
txaggie05
AG
Started my football watching with a Great Divide Rumble. Pretty good...not sure if I'm going to do more of that or switch it up
streetfighter2012
AG
Picked up some St. A's icon gold to kick off football season with I'm digging it so far.
NColoradoAG
txag2008
AG
Anyone in DFW seen SA Icon Gold?
MADDUD
Rocketdog Rye IPA
jah003
S
aggiejz: shoot me an email sometime about meeting up Sunday. jah 003 at shsu dot edu

La Fours: I will certainly put you on my list.

[This message has been edited by jah003 (edited 8/29/2013 9:28p).]
La Fours
AG
Thanks jah!!!

I'll take an extra from any one else as well.
ORAggieFan
quote:
quote:

Living in San Diego it's just different. Stone used to be cutting edge, but then they became about expansions and distro (one of the few good things they do well), $18 duck tacos and now a hotel. Meanwhile most of the beer they make has become average.

For the amount of hype they generate their beer for a large part, is run-of-the-mill. Well made but lacking imagination. Wait till you get the Coconut IPA. Another Yawner, and it's already left the shelves in SD.

Their IRS and Enjoy By are the only 2 beers worth looking at anymore.
i live 15 minutes from Stone and don't drink their beers. Easily 5+ local breweries that are better and usually cheaper.
First Page Last Page
Page 281 of 1792

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.