Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,678,570 Views | 62656 Replies | Last: 21 min ago by swampstander
BBRex
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Two things, first H-E-B had St. Arnold's seasonals for $6.97 a six pack, plus some other beer specials.

Second, looking for a low-calorie beer, I decided to grab a sixer of Indian Wells Silversun. I have to say it's a miss, esp. for the price. Shiner Light has the same number of calories and a much better taste.
Agz_2003
AG
Shiner 103 is an American pale ale called shiner wild hare

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicFormDisplay&ttbid=11350001000177

[This message has been edited by Agz_2003 (edited 1/18/2012 8:01a).]
jetch17
AG
Definitely a fan of the DFH Burton Baton

Jock 07
AG
Need some quick help; have a coworker down in Wichita Falls but and San Angelo and trying to get him to bring me back some Burton Baton; anyone know of a good liquor store akin to SPECS round those parts?

[This message has been edited by Jock 07 (edited 1/15/2012 7:23p).]
jetch17
AG
Not much help, but if i come across another 4 pack I'll pick it up and hang onto it til next time you come down
Jock 07
AG
Cool I'd appreciate it; probably won't be til football season
jetch17
AG
It ages well. No promises, bit I'll keep a'n eye out
Jock 07
AG
It does; I had one last month when I was back for Christmas that I had bought the previous year and left in my dads beer fridge. Luckily he doesn't appreciate the finer beers. It was quite enjoyable
BSD
AG
Sobriety month in my house sucks. This thread is making my heart hurt every time I open it.

But that hasn't deterred my buying... A case of assorted Jolly Pumpkins is heading my way! (thanks Spartan and HBC) And since January is half over, I'm on the home stretch to an awesome February binge month!
jetch17
AG
quote:
This thread is making my heart hurt every time I open it
BSD
AG
I feel like the fat kid at the school dance who is sitting against the wall watching all the other guys cop a feel.
jetch17
AG
BSD
AG
Yep, that's about right!
p-wonk01
AG
quote:
Need some quick help; have a coworker down in Wichita Falls but and San Angelo and trying to get him to bring me back some Burton Baton; anyone know of a good liquor store akin to SPECS round those parts?

The only thing in San Angelo you will find is Pinkies.
jetch17
AG
Not a bad little murderers row sitting in the fridge now

Many thanks to BSD for sharing his RRBC bounty, I look forward to enjoying.
Jock 07
AG
I have got to figure out how to get my hands on some pliny
Jock 07
AG
A toaster and toaster oven? You're one cool cat
BSD
AG
quote:
Many thanks to BSD for sharing his RRBC bounty

What kinda idiot shares RRBC??? Oh wait...
BSD
AG
quote:
A toaster and toaster oven? You're one cool cat

The belt and suspenders approach to warming bread.
jetch17
AG
didnt even realize that ... the toaster oven is busted, hence the regular toaster. An idiot pic nonetheless.

BSD
AG
I went over to D&Q Beer Mart for the first time today and was very impressed.  I came home with
2x 3 Floyds/Brewdog Bit*h Please
Deschutea The Stoic
Deschutes Hop Henge IPA 
Full Sail Pale Ale
Lips of Faith Fresh Hop
Stone 11.11.11 Vertical Epic
DFH Immort Ale
2x Sierra Nevada ruthless rye IPA
4x Sierra Nevada beer camp 29 DIPA

For those looking for DR 11, Burton Baton, or Clutch, they're all there.  Go take a look.
rdag04
AG
does spec's ever carry long trail? I had it in vermont two years ago and haven't been able to find it anywhere

had that and their stout
FTAggies
yuengling boys, eat your hearts out
BSD
AG
Anybody want to head out to Cali for this?

http://www.firestonebeer.com/mingle/fw-invitational-brewfest.php
Marooned_n_Aggieland
Filtered wheat.
jetch17
AG
Got a text boasting the selection at DQ over the weekend, plan on making a run later this week.

Nice haul BSD
army01
AG
...and that's exactly why I think Houston has a better selection, or at least gets a larger quantity of good brew.
Elliot P. Campbell
AG
knocked lindermans framboise off my obannons tour tonight...first lambic I've had, way too sweet for me but I'm also a hophead
aggiespartan
AG
quote:
first lambic I've had, way too sweet for me but I'm also a hophead

I like fruit beers and those are way too sweet for me too. Last time I tried one, I couldn't finish it because it tasted like cough syrup to me.
Marooned_n_Aggieland
Agree on the lambic analysis. I've tried some straight and then made a "Chocolate Truffle" which is Youngs Double Chocolate and Lindemans Framboise. I thought the Youngs was better without this new partner. BTW, the first few sips of Youngs on tap are heavenly with that great thick creamy head. One of go to beers for a strong shot of taste.
rhoswen
AG
count me in the "lambic is icky" crowd. it tastes like an extra-carbonated winecooler to me. In cooking, it's pretty good, and I don't mind a few small sips every now & then, but I won't drink a whole one.
Marooned_n_Aggieland
Hit the Specs main store in CS on the way home this evening. Nothing really eye catching in the store. They continue to disrespect Rahr by having a limited selection. No Iron Thistle on the shelf and no empty space for it. HEB has had it for more than a week. For those asking, no BBAWW there either but I never expected it. They do have a bunch of La Grange, which is a decent brew.

I noticed a pair of barleywine offerings, one by Brookyln and the other I can't remember the name but it was being sold by the 12oz (or possibly even smaller) bottle. The Brooklyn Monster Ale was sold in a 4 pack but the reviews were not stellar. Their Chocolate Stout was staring me down but I wanted something other than that, although it is very good and would be a good choice.

The German wheat beer section was lacking, as always, so nothing from there to take home. I did settle on a 6 of Harpoon UFO hefe as a last ditch choice.

Sampled one this evening and my reviews are not going to be stellar. The Hun knows how to brew a hefe while the Yankee rarely meets the mark (exception for Rahr Summertime Wheat and Live Oak). Harpoon's version just didn't have that complex flavor that the others do and a bit more bitterness at the end.
62strat
AG
this DQ beer mart.. is this the place?

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Houston-mini-mart-confrontation-turns-deadly-for-1712139.php

better make sure you pay for your beers over there! I wouldn't even attempt the Jetch's patented version of the 'make your own 6 pack'
jetch17
AG
me either!
Elliot P. Campbell
AG
quote:
BTW, the first few sips of Youngs on tap are heavenly with that great thick creamy head.

first few sips AND last few sips. when nothing is left but the remains of the head, it's like coating your tongue in velvet
First Page Last Page
Page 25 of 1791

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.