Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,678,889 Views | 62662 Replies | Last: 16 min ago by Kyle98
proudaggie02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Widmer Bourbon beer is really good, especially if you like a strong bourbon taste.
duck79
AG
Army01,

What exactly are you looking for that is in Texas that Specs doesn't have? I can tell you that the one in Dallas carries everything that is available when it is in stock. I can also tell you that the Houston beer selection is not much different than the Dallas one. I have first hand knowledge of this.
army01
AG
Burton Baton for one...routinely checked Mr. G's, Halls, Plano and Fort Worth CM and Las Colinas Beverage. Never saw it.

Don't get me wrong...I find some solid beers. I've posted photos of some of the stuff I've found. Just seems that we do not see quite as much in DFW as they do in Houston.

And Specs has A LOT of empty space on their shelves (or at least did as of last Thursday).
DonaldFDraper
AG
Old Chub
Magic Hat #9
Blonde Bombshell
Franconia kolsch
Deschutes Obsidian Stout
Rahr Iron Joe (Iron Thistle with coffee. Nom.)
corndog04
AG
I've become a huge fan of 10BB, loving this IPA tonight. Another weekend trip to Bend is long overdue.

[This message has been edited by corndog04 (edited 1/11/2012 12:56a).]
duck79
AG
All of those items named are available in Dallas. I'm not sure about the Rahr because I'm not involved with them. The reason you didn't see Burton is because it already sold out. There are more places overall with beer selections in the Dallas area than Houston. Also Specs had empty space because it is their policy not to fill space to cover out of stocks. They would rather hold the space until the product arrives.

[This message has been edited by Duck79 (edited 1/11/2012 8:05a).]
army01
AG
quote:
Also Specs had empty space because it is their policy not to fill space to cover out of stocks. They would rather hold the space until the product arrives

That was kind of my point...seems like they opened up with limited stock. Hoping that they fill in.

As for Rahr, I get most of that in FW. No issue there. Easy to find on the west side of town, can be tough in Dallas.

Thanks.
spadilly
S
Bought a sixer of Deschutes Red Chair NWPA.

Great for what it is, a tame PA, but as a hophead, this is just a bit lacking for me. Really smooth, lots of flavor, but just doesn't have the kick that Hop Trip, Mirror Pond, or their Inversion brews have.
I knew that going in, and it just felt like I was drinking a weak version of Sierra Nevada's Pale Ale.

I will say they knocked it out of the park for a NWPA, but I probably won't buy a sixer of this again. I just need a little more kick.
Elliot P. Campbell
AG
tried some of the Woodchuck Winter Cider, probably my new favorite of the style, replacing the granny smith. nice vanilla finish
aggiespartan
AG
we have a bottle of bourbon barrel aged apple cider in the fridge. interested to see what that's going to taste like.
Elliot P. Campbell
AG
ooh, i bet that'll have a nice taste

oh i remember what else i was gonna post - i tried a pint of Hacker-Pschorr Dunkle Weisse on tap yesterday and really liked it. i'm not usually a fan of wheat beers but this one was extremely well-balanced
62strat
AG
having this right now.
This is only my second beer to try from this style, the belgian style ipa (other being flying dog's raging *****)
I have to say, I really love this style. Both the ones i've had so far have a similar distinct taste, which I guessed, and confirmed, is the yeast. (they use belgian yeast strains)

It's hard to describe the taste.. if you haven't had one yet, go find a belgian ipa. if you like raging *****, you'll love this one too.

jetch17
AG
Where'd you pick that up 62? HEB had an asston of Stone bombers (one being that I believe)
duck79
AG
Stone Cali is the same liquid as Stone IPA but with a Belgian yeast strain. That is the same thing Saint Armold does with weedwacker, same liquid as lawnmower but with a Belgian yeast strain.

I love it on tap.

[This message has been edited by Duck79 (edited 1/11/2012 7:10p).]
62strat
AG
i got it at specs 249/spring cypress. it's left over from my new years pic.
jetch17
AG
tasty. I noticed Rockwell is tapping a cask o bourbon barrel imperial stout tomorrow. I also noticed 62's crew is playing, eh?
62strat
AG
yeh we play tomorrow. i hadn't been there since before the holidays.. usually go 2-3 times a month.

seems last several times she always has something cool going on that brings in some beer people.. don't know if it's good luck or if she actually plans it that way.

[This message has been edited by 62strat (edited 1/11/2012 8:31p).]
Jock 07
AG
Found these blithering idiots in the back of the fridge the other day. They've been back there since I brought them back with me from Omaha when I was down there for the CWS last year. Not the best barley wine I've ever had, but @ 11.1% I get my money's worth.

many thanks to jetch for the hookup on the glass

hbc07
AG
deschutes obsidian stout tonigh
DonaldFDraper
AG
My tulip glass broke last night
aggiespartan
AG
Hitachino Nest White Ale
army01
AG
Tonight's dessert...

BSD
AG
Attn STOLI

Do you want your Rogue Voodoo bottles? I still have two waiting on you!
helgs
AG
army01, you're doing it wrong. Never drink beer from a frozen glass!
streetfighter2012
AG
I'm running in the Houston Marathon Sunday. What should my victory beer be after finishing?
62strat
AG
Refrigerated glass is the way to go.
army01
AG
Teh wife lets me use 1/2 of the outdoor refrigerator for my beer. I keep the glasses in the deep freeze. AS long as I do not drink it right away, I think I'm doing okay. I usually try to get a drink our two in to get the "head effect", but my I've become a weenie about cold things in my old age. I usually let the glass warm up before drinking much more.
jah003
S
Actually... clean, room temp glass is the best way to drink a beer.
helgs
AG
Always use room temp glass.
gordo97
AG
I will be making a trip to San Fran in march so I was gonna stop by Rogue brewery pub and pick up some Voodoo bottles. Is it really good so I should get several or just a novelty? Any other "hard to get" brews I should source out while there like Pliney the elder perhaps?
BSD
AG
I was good with one Voodoo as a novelty. Some people would kill for it though. How long will you be out there? It might be worth your while to drive up to Santa Rosa to get Pliny straight from the source. And you can taste all their other beers to see if there is something else you like. I've enjoy quite a few of their beers and have spent a small fortune on them these past few months. An if you're up that way, you have Lagunitas and Bear Republic. Granted you can get those here, but they usually have special brews on tap that are not distributed.

As far as other beers in the city, look into Magnolia and 21st Ammendment. I haven't had them yet but might be visiting them in February and will report back if I can.

If you see Alpine or Kern River IPA, grab all you can!

[This message has been edited by Bsd (edited 1/13/2012 11:33p).]
713nervy
AG
quote:
I can also tell you that the Houston beer selection is not much different than the Dallas one. I have first hand knowledge of this.

And as a consumer that moved from Houston andSt who has driven and called around Dallas many times in a hunt for specific things, I can tell you that you're wrong.
hbc07
AG
quote:
San Fran in march so I was gonna stop by Rogue brewery pub and pick up some Voodoo bottles
whoa, they expanded their distribution with the new batch this last weekend... prior you could only get it in 3 or 4 locations in portland, but now there's 9 locations along the west coast
duck79
AG

That's fine and I respect your opinion but give me examples. I am involved in distribution in both cities so I know what is there. There may be a couple things that are different that silver eagle does but that's it. The difference is that there are more locations overall in DFW that receive these limited products. Because of this, the products are sold faster and thus it looks like DFW never has them. I am involved with many brewery reps and I can tell you they spend MUCH more time in DFW and Austin than they do Houston. And I'm from the Houston area so this isn't a dallas versus Houston thing.
Elliot P. Campbell
AG
quote:
And as a consumer that moved from Houston andSt who has driven and called around Dallas many times in a hunt for specific things, I can tell you that you're wrong.

dallas has a pretty badass specs now with a supposedly good beer selection
First Page Last Page
Page 24 of 1791

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.