Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,642,068 Views | 62609 Replies | Last: 9 hrs ago by SoTxAg
Elliot P. Campbell
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
re: lambics - it was cool to hear the bartender tell me how it's made with open-air fermentation, plus the fact that you apparently don't actually rack to a secondary for secondary fermentation and that the rasberries are basically just tossed right in. the flavor profile was way more in-your-face than even some IPAs i've had. but overall, yeah it was just too much
Marooned_n_Aggieland
quote:
re: lambics - it was cool to hear the bartender tell me how it's made

Good to see that your bartender at OBannons at least read the quicki wiki on what a lambic is. You won't get this from the bartender I talked to at BJ's. I asked about an IPA and the dude had absolutely no idea what I was even talking about.
Elliot P. Campbell
AG
honestly, i've never been disappointed by the knowledge of the bartenders at Ob's. they rival even the guys at the Flying Saucers I've been to
BSD
AG
quote:
this DQ beer mart.. is this the place?

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Houston-mini-mart-confrontation-turns-deadly-for-1712139.php

better make sure you pay for your beers over there! I wouldn't even attempt the Jetch's patented version of the 'make your own 6 pack'

Oh snap! I would have high fived that killa had I known.

But seriously, he was a cool guy and the selection beats Specs. I'll be going back. He also has some glassware should you need pot glasses or tulips.

Edit: I meant pint glasses but pot glasses is not an error, there are glass pipes there, too.

[This message has been edited by Bsd (edited 1/18/2012 10:27a).]
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
D&Q. He got five cases, by my count, of DR11 on Monday.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Also, as BSD mentioned, best glassware selection in town.
spadilly
S
D&Q is by far the best spot in town.
Stopped in today for just a second and came out with Kona KoKo Brown and Hop Henge.
gordo97
AG
isn't that spot supposed to be secret?
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
^Yes. All related posts should be deleted in the next 12 hours.
IronRed13
AG
quote:
D&Q. He got five cases, by my count, of DR11 on Monday.

From my experience, DR11 doesnt age too well.

I cracked open my last 2 bottles a few weeks ago. The hops really died off. It still has a decent flavor but not near as good when it was fresh.

Instead of grabbing those hidden cases, might just be better off waiting for Endeavor

Also Karbach will start canning in March, which will hopefully include the Rodeo Clown DIPA.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Curious to see what can designs they decided on.
BSD
AG
Jolly Pumpkins arrived today!

jetch17
AG
nice
Mooch98
AG
Someone on here sent me a PM asking about a beer store in Grapevine. Send the message again. It got deleted before I could respond.
BSD
AG
My California beer trip gets better everyday!

aggiespartan
AG
I forgot all about this...look what I just found in the kitchen drawer

BSD
Green Fairy
AG
Making a D&Q run this weekend while the wife is at a baby shower.....she gets baby junk and I get beer. Sounds fair to me.

At the rate people are hitting this place up it may not be secret long.
TxKng82
AG
Guess I'll have to stop by D&Q this afternoon since I'll be in the area, and see what it's all about. Hopefully I'll find some good stuff, the Specs by my house is just ok for beer selection.
Linz02Ag
AG
Picked up some Red Chair NWPA last night. Mighty fine.
BusterAg
AG
Re: Lambics

That lindemanns stuff is back-sweetend, meaning sugar is added after fermentation to make it artificially sweet. It is not what real lambics are supposed to taste like. These are the big-mac's of lambics.

My wife likes them, and I take a sip of them every once in a while, because the brett flavor is still very prevelant in the beers.

If you want to try some real sour beers, New Belgium actually makes quite a few very good beers. Their La Folie is a tasty treat.
rhoswen
AG
quote:
That lindemanns stuff is back-sweetend, meaning sugar is added after fermentation to make it artificially sweet. It is not what real lambics are supposed to taste like. These are the big-mac's of lambics.

Did not know this. I'll be on the lookout to try some different ones.
hbc07
AG
i don't always have amazing NW beers... sometimes i slum it.

corndog04
AG
I drank the crap out of some Ranier at Montage on Monday night with some old Texas friends that were in town.
aggiespartan
AG
Love Montage. They have excellent mixed drinks too.
hbc07
AG
This was at reel m inn. probably thebest fried chicken in portland, and cheap too.
army01
AG
Today's Central Market grab:

But then when I got home, I had 2 of these waiting on the front porch:

Marooned_n_Aggieland
Looking for a store with a big craft brew selection somewhere along US75 from 635 to Plano (Legacy). Help a craft beer drinker out.
Robert C. Christian
AG
S&K off of Spring Creek has a decent selection. Market Street in Allen off of Bethany is also pretty good. If you feel like going west a little Mr. G's is also a good bet.
Marooned_n_Aggieland
Does Franconia have product on shelves are do they only do kegs? I'm sure I read they were expanding their packaging operation.
Marooned_n_Aggieland
Oh, and that Bacon Maple Ale above looks mighty inviting!
Robert C. Christian
AG
Only kegs right now. a website called Friends of Franconia has all the taps listed. Heard last weekend that they are about to go to swing top bottles in the near future though.
Elliot P. Campbell
AG
quote:

i was not aware of this either, thanks for the heads up. i'll need to try a real lambic some time then
Marooned_n_Aggieland
Get your Rahr chubby on:

"Rahr & Sons Winter Warmer - Old London Ale Takes GOLD at the BTI's Word Beer Championship:

Rahr & Sons Brewing Co. Winter Warmer.

Aromas of chocolate covered cherries with a satiny, fruity-yet-dry medium-full body and a tangy, orange marmalade and roasted root vegetable accented finish with delicately peppery hops. A delicious winter sipper."

BSD
AG
********attention Stoli7*********

If you want your Rogue Voodoo Doughnut Bacon Maple Ale, please let me know ASAP or else it's getting opened soon!
First Page Last Page
Page 26 of 1789

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.