Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,641,819 Views | 62609 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by SoTxAg
BowSowy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Collard Greens said:

Where do yall buy your bottles? I have looked and want to try Pliny the Elder for instance, but don't know where to procure any of these harder to find craft beers. I know the names of some well-hyped beers I want to try, but other than looking at Specs downtown (Houston) do you go to a specific bottle shop? Sorry for the rookie question
Most of the hard to find beers that come to Texas will go to that downtown specs. If you're really interested in grabbing these types of beers, you'll need to pay attention to release dates and hit the Specs that day. Some of those also make it out to other specs or grocery stores with big beer selections and you can sometimes get lucky and find them sitting out. Lots of people are interested in those beers and it sometimes feels like a job chasing them, not to mention it can get expensive.
CDub06
AG
Collard Greens said:

dave99ag said:

AggieOO said:

You won't find pliny in specs, Houston, or even Texas. You'll need to trade or overpay one of the online retailers who will ignore the law and ship ro texas.
I don't trade, but will stock-up when I travel. Sometimes I'll fly back with cans / bottles in my suitcase. Other times, like my trip to Boston recently, I shipped back via FedEx.
thought there were rules about shipping alcohol in the us using UPS or FedEx?

There are if you tell them what you're shipping.
Scriffer
AG
CDub06 said:

Collard Greens said:

dave99ag said:

AggieOO said:

You won't find pliny in specs, Houston, or even Texas. You'll need to trade or overpay one of the online retailers who will ignore the law and ship ro texas.
I don't trade, but will stock-up when I travel. Sometimes I'll fly back with cans / bottles in my suitcase. Other times, like my trip to Boston recently, I shipped back via FedEx.
thought there were rules about shipping alcohol in the us using UPS or FedEx?

There are if you tell them what you're shipping.

When I was shipping a case of RRBCs back to Texas, I made sure to have the box taped up in advance. Walked in and asked, "Do y'all ship wine? Yes? Good to know." and handed them the box.
dave99ag
AG
I generally use FedEx and was always nervous the first few times I shipped. They never really ask. Key is to pack it well enough that the beer, uh, "baby supplies" are not sloshing around.

Worse case is that you don't go to a federal-pound-me-in-the-ass prison, but a prison that allows conjugal visits.
AggieStout
AG
No one is really going to care that your shipping beer. Some places now can ship beer to your house via ups or fed ex or usps. All they care about is money and that it doesn't leak.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Yeast samples
Bmac04
AG
bushytailed said:

I'll be in Brooklyn in a couple of weeks visiting my brother. There are a couple breweries (Queens Brewery and Bridge & Tunnel) within walking distance of his place. Are there any can't-miss breweries in Brooklyn that I need to check out?
Other Half for sure.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
bushytailed said:

I'll be in Brooklyn in a couple of weeks visiting my brother. There are a couple breweries (Queens Brewery and Bridge & Tunnel) within walking distance of his place. Are there any can't-miss breweries in Brooklyn that I need to check out?
Not a brewery, but owned/run by Evil Twin Brewing... Torst (https://goo.gl/maps/5wJfxcA9es92) is a can't miss bar stop.

By the way, the Evil Twin founder is the twin of the Mikkeller founder.

Evil Twin also has a new spot that opened within the last year near where your brother lives. https://eviltwin.nyc/about/

I also see that Mikkeller opened a bar in Queens at Citi Field. If it's any bit as good as the one in San Francisco (it will be), it'll be worth a stop.
https://www.mikkellernyc.com/st/taproom

If you go, let us know how they were.
Jock 07
AG
AggieOO said:

yea I don't trade or anything, just pick them up when ever I travel. I just happened to be back in CO when I bought that bottle. But honestly, while still a great beer, I feel that there are so many other IPAs out there nowadays that are just as good and even better than Pliny.
Hudson2508
AG
Edit: was really hoping that link would direct link. Guess I still need to use Imageshak.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/qrv0XT0mHaVukQfUEd0a09fTYBUDcKQApoUdCWYgTbABVg5RGF5JAF3NaKwvRs4Q0FQILFf6GrQQKJHSmFPTVUNAb6f_wgGyzaompmRb-QYEbdpO78Xp8zD2IW0rHJeQLK1G3hxTnAenb_cJua3215k2SgKQpGwdQ8M1ofckuYRThVsARgCzZlghs8lUcO8a3FRdPjIE-1AOFzZW_wyxHiJ1cEwwt8ybGgDimY-k37s4VPDZnHqV4Rxaxxc1J-RGmXRuZomSbilGfv5do4PnJk6HnvoeOmyBDThZM9qoNz2L29en2J6lTo8DnS_kQVqq-E70pVt959E6Y6wMPdmf09kwqHsMCeY4kcIcYib4XOqzYNkL4vDpjRwzbpGaEYw39OG5M2jqp_XRht0lf3HDc5trids6wdscGddb62zWXPjOpVU2ArT5whVG2NWrBy-uJJZ0HCdwBPZl6xxPnGimITyfo6eWyWSCoygaP5vccqH4OETPQv2fPMyWPkmMz5WxPg2QZkcHlLeesfOh3yP7W8q7NJBfnNLa05pdTzZ6qNuUscBSkTlHmdU7AWDlBuVYItSve5ocaYnPB8JFG-LmdBFYkv1_Fe5_T4br8Kn_WOCD3MXCNDC5wWXtUwZaSZX7mGfbeV-foe8Thh_eWJyXt4Jd5lMwpD_n8NvuudEIPI5dgHUh5Fy0Vp_dd9oS8SgMuhY-GSoghUSFe-ewecz-aJKAEw=w1442-h1925-no

Fantastic beer from Side Project. Happy Friday.
Chipotlemonger
AG

Yea this is pretty dang good.
jah003
S
Chipotlemonger said:

Yea this is pretty dang good.
It's so damn easy to plow through a 6 pack...
jah003
S
So this guy is a legend in the Cedar Park area... he's probably pushing 4 bills though. Guess he came to Whitestone enough and shared enough beer they made him his own beer.

dave99ag
AG
Wife was headed home from a conference in Ft. Worth today and stopped by Lone Star Taps & Caps. Told them she owed her husband some beer for watching the kids alone. She did a good job. Drinking the 3 Nations Chocolate Hazelnut Devout right now.

Chipotlemonger
AG
Nice
reesei10
jah003 said:

So this guy is a legend in the Cedar Park area... he's probably pushing 4 bills though. Guess he came to Whitestone enough and shared enough beer they made him his own beer.

Good?
txag2008
AG
I've heard Manhattan Project folks are Ags.
jgh85Ag
AG
Love taps and caps. Trying to talk my growler place to start 16oz crowlers.
jah003
S
reesei10 said:

jah003 said:

Good?
I really enjoyed it at first sip, but not so much after. I might snag a single.
Jock 07
AG
broke into an orange BCBS tonight. so now I've had the orange wheat whine, vanilla and regular this year. I feel that the 19 vintages have been a pretty big let down across the board. Curious to hear what other's think of this years batch.
break break
who's the tine holder of the prairies again? Gonna be in town late next week and would like to try and grab mine if possible.
Hudson2508
AG
Posting here bc y'all are my people.....last glass out of the bottle. Been sipping on this for 6 years.

Still tastes ****ing excellent.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Hit up Pinthouse Round Rock today for the first time. Some excellent beers. Cool to see some exclusive beers to that location from them.
AggieStout
AG
Couple birthday beers from the weekend.
Heard many great thing about this one. Has Thai Banana, Macadamia Nuts, Coconut, Toasted Coconut and Vanilla
Sadly was not a fan. Not because of the banana though.

This one though was amazing.
AggieStout
AG
Some bottles I've been saving up for a share with some friends at the end of the month. Doubt we'll get into all of them but pretty happy with the amount of top ranked beers I have acquired in a short period of time. Never thought I'd ever be able to get ahold of any of these

Topher17
AG
AggieStout said:

Some bottles I've been saving up for a share with some friends at the end of the month. Doubt we'll get into all of them but pretty happy with the amount of top ranked beers I have acquired in a short period of time. Never thought I'd ever be able to get ahold of any of these

Holy sh*t!
GarlandAg2012
AG
AggieStout said:

This is bordering on needing an insurance policy...quite a lineup.
DaveHimself
AG
big-ag said:

Headed to Norfolk this weekend. Any breweries to check out around there or Virginia Beach area?
Did you find anything worth while in Virginia Beach? I'll be there over St. Patty's Day weekend and doing my research now. Only brewery I saw mentioned from another poster is Commonwealth so we plan to check that one out.
big-ag
AG
Commonwealth was great. They make some tasty IPAs.
Jason_Ag98
AG
txag2008 said:

Alvarado Street Brewery in Monterey. They make good stuff, known for their IPAs.

If you're making the drive down from the Bay Area, Sante Adairius is right off the highway in Capitola.
Thanks for the tip, we had dinner at Alvarado St. Brewery on Friday night and the beer was indeed fantastic.
steve00
AG
I second Commonwealth. It's my favorite so far in the area.
reesei10
This is one of my favorite JK beer!
jah003
S
Stout weather man...
Bmac04
AG
Not as impressive as AggieStouts haul but it's been a good 2 weeks for me
HTownAg98
Finally got to try an Oskar Blues Death By Coconut. It does not suck. Glad I bought two four-packs.
bimsAgRealtor
Shannon Brewery love n haze is pretty good and at $9.99 for a six pack it is a great deal
First Page Last Page
Page 1424 of 1789

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.