Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,676,644 Views | 62649 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by steve00
Hudson2508
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
WLW is phenomenal. Best I've ever had.
Chipotlemonger
AG
More stout weather. Didn't have much in the way of a regular stout in the fridge, oh well!

Bmac04
AG
Definitely one of my favorites
jah003
S
I'll be in CS this weekend... but this Redhorn Tap list though...
Chipotlemonger
AG
Damn that's pretty good
jah003
S
Also this... should be in coffee thread... zfg.
SpiderDude
AG
Do you live in Cedar Park? PM me and we'll grab a beer there sometime!
IronRed13
AG
https://tenemu.com/news/bottle-logic-schedules-online-sale-of-fundamental-theorem-for-march-17/03/2019

Another winner's road trip?
CDub06
AG
B52 just released the list for Barrel Fest Saturday.

jah003
S
SpiderDude said:

Do you live in Cedar Park? PM me and we'll grab a beer there sometime!
Yep! I work about a mile from Redhorn. Don't have PM capabilities, but I'll let you know next time I'm up that way.
jah003
S
So... I'll be out of town this weekend... but if anyone can grab me some BBA Suburban Ninja and those coffee beans I'll pay you back and then some.

Quincey P. Morris
AG

And now a different group representing distributors is in to try and cause problems.
Bmac04
AG
Nothing special but still one of my favorites
jetch17
AG
Yeah nothing special... just another sh*ttybeer that you should let me take off your hands
Bmac04
AG
Shoot me a label and I'm happy to send you one
Quincey P. Morris
AG
For those in the Houston area, my aunt and uncle host a monthly share at their house in League City. It's pretty much open to whoever would like to come. There's a style every month and we vote for our top three. One with the most votes gets to pick the style for the next month. This month's is tonight at 7:30. It's always the second Friday of the month. If anybody is interested, shoot me a PM and I can send you the info.

The style for this month is wild ales.
DaveHimself
AG
Bmac04 said:

Shoot me a label and I'm happy to send you one

I'm in to buy one off your hands
CDub06
AG
National ranking: Spring is home to the best craft beer bar in Texas

Quote:

Thistle DraftShop located at 5210 FM 2920 #100, Spring, was ranked the best beer bar in Texas and the one of the 50 best in the U.S. in a new ranking from CraftBeer.com.

The craft beer website analyzed over 7,000 surveys on small and independent breweries in the United States from December 2018 to early January 2019 to compile its 2019 Great American Beer Bars list. Atmosphere, staff, beer selection and extraordinary events were used as factors to rank each bar.

Founded in 2016, Thistle DraftShop features an ever-rotating selection of about 60 beers on tap and 200 different types of beers to-go, according to the ranking. The restaurants also serves wine and food and holds events like calligraphy classes and coffee pop up shops.
dave99ag
AG
Haven't heard of Thistle. Have you been? Might be worth a trip next time in the Woodlands.
CDub06
AG
I've not. I've heard of it, but didn't know it was such a spectacle. It's a little further south than I typically venture.
dave99ag
AG
Same here. I don't go past Grogan's. B52 is an easy stop on the way to CS.
GarlandAg2012
AG
Asked a buddy of mine who lives very close to it. He said he has been there but it's a little "froofier" on the food menu than his local favorite which is Tapped. Also said Tapped leans closer towards his beer preferences more frequently which is high ABV dark beers. Ymmv.
Connd

Very hot at 13, but juicy.
zephyrtexan
AG
This is just the worst thread to follow when you've given up beer for lent.
lne2011
AG
lne2011
AG
Sounds tough, but why?
jah003
S
Worth the hype... so much depth and so many levels...
zephyrtexan
AG
Spiritual and physical health. Wanna ensure I have control of my passions as well as drop a few pounds. It's all for good reasons.

But every now and again I like to ***** and moan about my first-world problems, even when they're self-inflicted.
Wheatables02
AG
zephyrtexan said:

This is just the worst thread to follow when you've given up beer for lent.
same boat but all alcohol. 42 days left.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Had one of Great Divides DIPA Hercules last night. First regular old six pack beer I've had in a while that made me remake, "Damn this is good."

At the beach for the week and cracked my first HOUSTON Haze at about 10am.
lne2011
AG
Good luck to you!

Was trying to post a meme from imgur, but couldn't get it to work after 3 tries. So, that's all I could come up with.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Coming back from an extended weekend trip to Portland, Maine. Had a great time. In the past I've posted in here about how Asheville, NC is an excellent east coast beer destination. I'll say now if you have the means and time to get as far as Portland, definitely plan a trip here too. There are similar vibes between the two places, but one can't really replace the other. Portland has its own cool vibe, it being a New England town. Was able to get some amazing seafood and head out to beachside parks and walk around in the cold March weather some. Fortunately it was very sunny 2 of the 3 days.

Now for the beer itself. Real quality breweries around here. The tour at Allagash was so so as far as tours go, but the beer was great and the atmosphere cool. Reminded me of Russian River in a way, with both clean and mixed fermentation beers and their vibe. Found out that 80% (!) of what they brew is their White beer, which is crazy. Here's a flight I got from there, including some of their Belgian styled sours:

No less than 100 yard from their brewery and taproom was a small row of a few smaller production breweries. We went to one called Austin Street Brewery, which had some of my favorite beer from the trip. Had a schwartzbier, and found the best DIPA I've ever had, even accounting for recency bias:

The next day, there was a random place called Urban Farm Fermentory that did cider, gruit, mead, and kombucha if you're into any of that. Fun to change it up there and try, of all things, a seaweed cider that had a gose-like salt and brine flavor to it. I didn't originally want to go there but they had some live music that some of the group wanted to see. They also had a neat taproom setup. Fun spot.

After that, I wanted to move on and go to Bissell Brothers or Oxbow, but there was a place called Lone Pine about 50 yards from UFF. Hadn't heard of it before but decided to check it out. Very glad we did, they made some killer IPAs and I had one of my favorite beers of the trip there, a Chaga stout (some mushroom from Maine used in it, gave it a great feel and depth of flavor).

Today we made it to Oxbow to hang out a bit before a late lunch and getting to the airport. Similar to Allagash, they specialize in Belgian styled beers. Really excellent saisons and sours. Got a few bottles to bring home from there, on top of a 4-pack from Lone Pine and bomber from Austin Street.

Overall, my favorite brewery of the trip was Lone Pine, when you combine the atmosphere and beer. And don't even get started on the food. This town is a great food destination. We ate very well and I was able to drink from some of the local breweries that we didn't visit when out for meals. Found Maine Beer Company offerings at a couple places. Okay, I think that's enough of a rant.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Completely forgot a brewpub we went to in the South Portland area because the food was so good and I didn't plan the lunch itself. Foulmouthed Brewing. Awesome diner/cafe style layout brewpub with a ton of small batch beers on tap. Had a sessionable brown ale.

I'll add that what's cool about this and every place that we went to, you could grab beer to-go from them if they packaged it. A very convenient benefit to taking a trip outside of Texas and wanting to get some extra stuff to bring home with you.

jah003
S
Tasty...

Friend grabbed me the triple and the BA Suburban Ninja yesterday.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Well, it's official. My wife and I are chasing a dream and moving 2000 miles away to Oregon at the end of May 2019. We will be located in the Rogue Valley/Medord. which is far Southern Oregon, nearly to the California border. Tons of hiking, mountain biking, skiing, fishing, hunting, etc opportunities that we are excited to get the opportunity to get to do.

Can't wait to explore the beer/wine in the area, and make weekend trips to Bend (3 hours away) Eugene (2.5 hours away), Napa valley (5 hours), the coast (1.5 hours), Crater Lake (1 hour). The Rogue Valley is apparently an up and coming wine AVA, as well. The beer scene isn't quite as developed as Portland/Bend, but it's Oregon, so it's better than 99% of places. Lots of great small breweries in the area.

Anyways, if anyone is looking to travel that way while I'm there, or interested in trading some beer back and forth... let me know!

First Page Last Page
Page 1425 of 1790

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.