Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,673,045 Views | 62639 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by Quincey P. Morris
Lt. Joe Bookman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
fav13andac1)c said:

jah003 said:

Grabbed some Tupps DDH #3 at H-E-B today canned on 7/30. Excited to try one tonight...

Also, I find myself buying about 90% local or Texas beers these days. I feel like Firestone Walker, Bells, Cigar City, Ballast Point, etc. are all at least 2-3 months old. It's just not worth it anymore when a lot of Texas breweries are pumping out better/fresher stuff...
Let me know what you think, brother. Tupps' cellarman, here. We are stoked with how it came out, and the support this series has been getting.

We need to do a meat up at Tupps sometime. My wife and I are there pretty often since we live so close.
fav13andac1)c
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

fav13andac1)c said:

jah003 said:

Grabbed some Tupps DDH #3 at H-E-B today canned on 7/30. Excited to try one tonight...

Also, I find myself buying about 90% local or Texas beers these days. I feel like Firestone Walker, Bells, Cigar City, Ballast Point, etc. are all at least 2-3 months old. It's just not worth it anymore when a lot of Texas breweries are pumping out better/fresher stuff...
Let me know what you think, brother. Tupps' cellarman, here. We are stoked with how it came out, and the support this series has been getting.

We need to do a meat up at Tupps sometime. My wife and I are there pretty often since we live so close.
Definitely! Come to the back and introduce yourself if you see us working in the cellar the next time you're around.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
fav13andac1)c said:

Lt. Joe Bookman said:

fav13andac1)c said:

jah003 said:

Definitely! Come to the back and introduce yourself if you see us working in the cellar the next time you're around.

Will do! I'll just ask for the Aggie in the cellar.
jah003
S
fav13andac1)c said:

jah003 said:

Really tasty. I'm a Citra *****, so that's a bonus. Not a super juice bomb which is nice. Still get some hop bite in there.
Hugo Stiglitzz
zephyrtexan said:

Got my last two boxes!

http://imgur.com/qSO6Rx1
http://imgur.com/GysnPlk

I'm gonna be honest. I totally forgot the username of one of the box senders. Because I'm a terrible person.

But the one with the Chex mix? That's from BMac. And the Chex mix came with the box.

I asked for something strange, I suppose that's one way to do it.

The box with the Modern Times and Fieldworks is from me. I included the cereal bag as a diversion
Diggity
AG
love Fieldworks. Have some coming this week!
Jock 07
AG
Feelin a bit funky tonight
zephyrtexan
AG
Apparently I should have refrained from drinking a couple of those before posting. I have no idea why I got my usernames mixed up. Maybe I was reading the meltdown thread prior posting here?

Let's say that was the case.

Ya, Hugo sent the one with the Chex mix. Which made me laugh, for the record.
jh0400
AG
Is anyone going to JK this weekend? If so, I'd appreciate a bottle or two if you can spare them. I can pay you now and pick them up when we come up for the TMBBQ fest in November.
Wheatables02
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

CDub06
AG
Wheatables02 said:

Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Hutchins to go!
jgh85Ag
AG
Its below 100, Stout weather

jgh85Ag
AG
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/j.2050-0416.1905.tb02139.x
Jock 07
AG
well apparently today was Belgium drop day here to include Fou Foune. Of course by the time I got out of work to a non work device that doesn't block social media, the fou foune was long gone. I did score these little guys though, so I didn't wind up walking away empty handed.
Inspector Spacetime
AG
Finally getting to taste the collab between Weldwerks and practically everyone from the Weldwerks Invitational. I don't drink/enjoy a lot of Milkshake IPA's (especially when cocoa is involved), but this one and the Tropical Milkshake from Weldwerks have been some of my favorites.

While I love the variety of styles out there today, though, I can't help but wonder if someone shouldn't work on coining a new term for this kind of beer. "Milkshake" is obviously plenty descriptive-- and I am no BJCP Style Guidelines snob-- but when beers have almost no hop character over the fruit, lactose, and other adjuncts, I wonder if there isn't a more effective/accurate name to describe them than "IPA." Objectively speaking, I wonder if average beer drinkers looking through a taplist would be more likely to order a "Milkshake Blonde" or "Milkshake Ale" or wording like that. In Texas that might be the case, but Coloradans do love their IPAs, so I really don't know.

Anyone else ever have thoughts on the broadness of the "IPA" category? I'm always interested in how breweries communicate what their beer is to the consumer and this category has been on my mind a lot lately.
Inspector Spacetime
AG
Also, a happy belated IPA Day to you all. Here's Crooked Stave's DDH DIPA seasonal, Trellis Buster.

docaggie
AG
I've never tried a Milkshake IPA for that reason. I don't care for IPAs, so I don't buy cans/bottles with IPA on the label. I just assumed that milkshake IPAs had a strong hop presence.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Jock 07
AG
That's kind of like how I avoided stouts for the longest time cause I don't like coffee. But then I discovered the art of bourbon barrel aged stouts and I was hooked.
AggieOO
docaggie said:

I've never tried a Milkshake IPA for that reason. I don't care for IPAs, so I don't buy cans/bottles with IPA on the label. I just assumed that milkshake IPAs had a strong hop presence.
this. I haven't touched a single hazy IPA since the haze craze started.
NColoradoAG
You guys are doing yourself a disservice by avoiding New England Style IPAs just because you think you dont like any IPA. You have no idea how many people come to WeldWerks and tell me they dont like IPA's. I pour them a sample of our Hef, our Keller Pils or a Berliner, and then just tell them this is "our most popular" beer without saying its Juicy Bits. 7/10 times they order the Juicy Bits and come back for another.
Jock 07
AG
yeah, as I understand it, there's a difference between a milkshake and a NEIPA, mainly the mouthfeel and sweetness created by the lactose. Is this correct? I love NEIPAs but not as high on the whole milkshake craze personally.
AggieOO
you are reinforcing Inspector Spacetime's point.

here's the problem. Everyone and their brother has been telling me for YEARS that I'd love IPAs if i just drank the right one. Or I'll acquire the taste, or whatever the case. I don't like IPAs. Never have, and I've tried a ridiculous amount of them. So here I am with people telling me, "i know you don't like IPAs, but you have to try this IPA."

if its "not an IPA" why is it categorized as one?
AggieStout
AG
I was this was until I tried NEIPA's and milkshake IPAs now I love em.
reesei10
AggieOO said:

here's the problem. Everyone and their brother has been telling me for YEARS that I'd love IPAs if i just drank the right one. Or I'll acquire the taste, or whatever the case. I don't like IPAs. Never have, and I've tried a ridiculous amount of them. So here I am with people telling me, "i know you don't like IPAs, but you have to try this IPA."

I would say that NEIPAs and Milkshake IPAs are closer to IPAs, than any other style. I think the name fits because they use a s*** ton of hops in these beers, but manage to not bring out the Hop Bitterness just the flavor. Milkshake IPA means they add fruit and lactose. I may have over simplified that description.
NColoradoAG
AggieOO said:

I didn't say they aren't IPA's. The most certainly are IPA's, and the style guidelines have even been adjusted to include New England Style.

I was trying to make a counter to Andrew's point about IPA marketing and how more may sell if it was "hazy ale" or "milkshake blonde." I sell beer to the gamut of people every week and the more people open up and try New England Style IPA's the more people start drinking them.

The biggest issue with the average consumer is they have been conditioned to think IPA=bitter, no matter what. New England IPA's have very little perceived bitterness. The brewing technique also creates a different mouthfeel than more carbonated west coast IPA's people think of. NE IPA's are incredibly hoppy. It's just the hop flavors and varietals used are producing completely different tastes and aromas than most think of in an IPA.

My apologies for being another guy "telling you what to drink." Just trying to offer an experienced opinion. There is undoubtedly enough beer out there for everyone. Cheers.
Inspector Spacetime
AG
I'm really grateful that Weldwerks worked with the BA to develop the hazy Pale, IPA, and DIPA guidelines because that's a well-defined style at this point. It'll take a while, but I think the "New England" and "hazy" wording especially will start resonating with people who like aromatic, low-IBU IPAs over more traditional west coast examples, and they'll start realizing not all IPAs are made the same.

I'm surprised to hear people on this thread have stayed away from some of these hazy variants based on the IPA name, but I guess that is what I was curious to find out. I appreciate the discussion, y'all!
Diggity
AG
Weekend is going to be a little hazy

Jock 07
AG
Happy day late IPA day
AggieOO
I've just had no desire to try one since they are IPAs and I've literally never had an IPA that I was like, "hey, this tastes great, I'd love to have another."

That said, I homebrew, so I understand that they are not a typical IPA variety. I've also said, several times on this thread that I can tell the difference in a good vs bad IPA and I try a bunch of them. I likely would have actually tried one by now, but the wife is the IPA drinker in our household, and she's 9 months pregnant. She hasn't been beer drinking with me since before Thanksgiving. Any place that will have a hazy IPA on draft will certainly have something I know I will like.

All that said, next time I'm out and one is available, I'll give it a go. Hopefully, I'll find something I didn't know I liked.

I will report back.
dave99ag
AG
Dude, the next time y'all get to go out, you'll be the DD!
AggieOO
If we are still at at standoff with this kid tomorrow, we are going to ABW.
dave99ag
jgh85Ag
AG

Bought a crowler of this back in June. Good stuff.
dave99ag
AG
Cheers to a good Friday. It's been a good week at our house.

bushytailed
AG
I'm not sure if this one has been mentioned (thread is waaaaay long), but today I discovered Fiesty Blonde from Hopfusion out of Ft. Worth. It's a honey vanilla blonde at 8.26%. Wooza!

Happy Friday all!
First Page Last Page
Page 1364 of 1790

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.