Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,654,465 Views | 62635 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by swampstander
dave99ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm to the point now where I only purchase bottles when we travel. I have a large enough stockpile that I don't really seek out the hot releases that show up here. A kiddo slows down that hunt for beer.
IronRed13
AG
What are some good New England Pale Ales available in Houston? Wanting to get an introduction to this newer style...
SecoKid
AG
dave99ag said:

I'm to the point now where I only purchase bottles when we travel. I have a large enough stockpile that I don't really seek out the hot releases that show up here. A kiddo slows down that hunt for beer.

I'm pretty much in the same boat. I've cut way back and very rarely buy bombers anymore. Been just picking up 6 packs and paring down my cellar. I still Iove seeing all the cool stuff you guys drink on here though.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
dave99ag said:

Same.
AggieOO
i'd already stopped chasing most things, but i've recently come to the decision to stop chasing pretty much everything. If its not something that's on the shelf, I don't need to buy it. I'd rather spend that $$ on other things at this point. It was ridiculous how much I was spending on beer that just goes into storage.

I've got a pretty good stockpile of good beers. I'll still seek some stuff out when I travel but i'm mostly done with buying $16-20+ bombers.
BSD
AG
Toppling Goliath will probably be my only purchase for the foreseeable future. In fact, I may start unloading beers on you people. I'm drinking about a beer a month and buying 4. The math is all wrong for me.

(I still wonder why no one took me up on a Rare Barrel Ambassador tasting a few weeks ago. I was serious. I have about 15 bottles that need to be taken down)
jh0400
AG
I still like to drink good beer, but the process of acquiring is starting to require more effort (or $$$) than I'm willing to put in. There are still lots of things that I'd like to try, but I've realized that a lot of them are unlikely at best. Houston breweries don't make anything that has good trade value, and I'm over driving to Austin to wait in line at JK.
jh0400
AG
BSD said:

Toppling Goliath will probably be my only purchase for the foreseeable future. In fact, I may start unloading beers on you people. I'm drinking about a beer a month and buying 4. The math is all wrong for me.

(I still wonder why no one took me up on a Rare Barrel Ambassador tasting a few weeks ago. I was serious. I have about 15 bottles that need to be taken down)

I'm in.
jetch17
AG
you know im in for a RB sh*tshow
streetfighter2012
AG
I'm in for the tasting as well.
Scriffer
AG
jh0400 said:

I still like to drink good beer, but the process of acquiring is starting to require more effort (or $$$) than I'm willing to put in. There are still lots of things that I'd like to try, but I've realized that a lot of them are unlikely at best. Houston breweries don't make anything that has good trade value, and I'm over driving to Austin to wait in line at JK.

This is pretty much where I land. Only BBT in Dallas has any value, and that's a crapshoot at best.
aggiemike02
AG
Eureka Heights just released one.
streetfighter2012
AG
What makes an IPA / pale ale "New England" style?
Bmac04
AG
streetfighter2012 said:

More hazy/cloudy color, creamy mouthfeel, more juicy sweetness than hop bitterness
BSD
AG
Bmac04 said:

streetfighter2012 said:

More hazy/cloudy color, creamy mouthfeel, more juicy sweetness than hop bitterness

So like a Blue Moon?
NColoradoAG
streetfighter2012 said:

Higher chloride content in the water profile, flaked oats in the grist, use of London Ale III or Conan yeast, little to no hops during the boil, heavy and frequent dry hopping during active fermentation, and the use of "fruity" "tropical" hops.

All of those factors create a hazy IPA with a softer mouthfeel, very low perceived bitterness, and a fruity flavor profile.
Chipotlemonger
AG
jetch17 said:

you know im in for a RB sh*tshow

I don't remember hearing about it BSD!
jh0400
AG
IronRed13 said:

What are some good New England Pale Ales available in Houston? Wanting to get an introduction to this newer style...

Cedar Creek Dankosaurus is a fruit bomb from what I remember. If you ever get over to Louisiana, the Parish pale ales are all being done in the NE style.
BSD
AG
aight people. Let me figure out my schedule and we'll set up a Rare Barrel tasting. I'd prefer not to do it at my house, as my wife doesn't want a bunch of strange internet people walking off with her US States collectible spoons. I'm open to ideas.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Everyone come to Nashville!
TAM85
Are there any decent BYOB places on west side of Houston?
IronRed13
AG
TAM85 said:

Are there any decent BYOB places on west side of Houston?
Jonathan's The Rub
Pizaro's Pizza
Jock 07
AG
BSD said:

aight people. Let me figure out my schedule and we'll set up a Rare Barrel tasting. I'd prefer not to do it at my house, as my wife doesn't want a bunch of strange internet people walking off with her US States collectible spoons. I'm open to ideas.
feel free to stop by here in Omaha after partying in decorah for a week
maca1028
How about towards the end of the month at petrol? I have a regal rye I want to share too.
turfman80
AG
Excellent!!

La Fours
AG
Thanks for the heads up. I grabbed a six pack front holleman heb.
BSD
AG
maca1028 said:

How about towards the end of the month at petrol? I have a regal rye I want to share too.

I usually try to limit the bottles I take there to one or two. I don't know how'd they feel about 10.

Another thing, Maca, I have a bottle of Rare that you me and Jetch need to take down. I feel bad you didn't get the whole allocation and Jetch missed his chance and Central Market. I figured it would out nicely with a Rancor.
jah003
S
I'm dumb.
streetfighter2012
AG
I'll bring paper bags and we can just stand around downtown and drink.
Hudson2508
AG
Small but special beer mail.

Been trying to get some Iris for a while after I had a bottle in Paris. Loved the beer and the memories associated with it so trying to get one of these for each vacation I take.
Mort Rainey
streetfighter2012 said:

I'll bring paper bags and we can just stand around downtown and drink.

I'm in!
maca1028
Quote:

Another thing, Maca, I have a bottle of Rare that you me and Jetch need to take down. I feel bad you didn't get the whole allocation and Jetch missed his chance and Central Market. I figured it would out nicely with a Rancor.

How about towards the end of the month at petrol?

And I'd offer up my house for the rare barrel tasting but to most of y'all I'm way the **** out here.
txag2008
AG
turfman80 said:

Excellent!!

Nice. Anyone in DFW seen this?
Jock 07
AG
Jock 07
AG
Sorry didn't realize it'd cause an issue
First Page Last Page
Page 1119 of 1790

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.