Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,568,076 Views | 62488 Replies | Last: 3 min ago by hbc07
BSD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Dude. Not cool. I don't want the name to be on there. Please take it down.
BSD
AG
Jock 07 said:

Sorry didn't realize it'd cause an issue

I don't mind speaking in generalities (because it is funny) but didn't want the name plastered all over the Internet, as was maliciously done a few posts after I made it clear I didn't want to.
Jock 07
AG
Yea I didn't read through the whole thread before I posted
BSD
AG
It happens. Unfortunately, I don't think getting more bottles is going to happen. I'm not underground enough to get this done the way I need it to get done. It was a perfect plan, but ****ty execution.
cc10106
BOO. Whole Foods $2 Thursday beers ends next week.
62strat
AG
I want to take a few bombers with me to CA tomorrow. I'm flying southwest and I have a wine shipper. Just a plain cardboard box with the styrofoam molded inserts, 3 bottles. How does this work? How do they label it? I know they can go in a suitcase, but I'm not bringing one, just wanted to check this box.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Pretty much. Never had an issue on Southwest.

Those of you guys that are also going to Toppling Goliath next weekend, how are y'all bringing beer back? Shipping it to yourself? Putting it in your checked luggage bag?
Usually I buy a wine shipping box when I get to my destination and just check it on the flight home, but I don't think I'll be able to buy one in Minneapolis.
62strat
AG
I guess I'm picturing them tagging luggage and it's with a label and string tied to luggage handle. Do they have stickers or something they can slap on a box? I put my name and phone number on the box too.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
62strat said:

I guess I'm picturing them tagging luggage and it's with a label and string tied to luggage handle. Do they have stickers or something they can slap on a box? I put my name and phone number on the box too.

They tape the label and flight info on the box.

BSD
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Pretty much. Never had an issue on Southwest.

Those of you guys that are also going to Toppling Goliath next weekend, how are y'all bringing beer back? Shipping it to yourself? Putting it in your checked luggage bag?
Usually I buy a wine shipping box when I get to my destination and just check it on the flight home, but I don't think I'll be able to buy one in Minneapolis.

I use a wine check when I travel. I usually take a bottle or two (wine or beer) to share with friends and bring back a full case. I have an extra case shipper if Houston folks need one.

If using the boxes as pictured, be sure to write your name and number on it, just in case. They should be able track it with the code on the tag but I use the belt and suspenders approach. SWA lost my Dark Lord haul once, including two BA bottles. I wasn't happy. It took 4 days to get it back. They found it in Oakland.
La Fours
AG
Bro, I want dibs on that extra wine check.
BSD
AG
Not an extra wine check. Just an extra box. Sorry for confusion.
Scriffer
AG
If any of you Dallas folks headed that way want a wine check, I've got one laying around you can use.
Inspector Spacetime
AG
My friend and fellow Karbach beer rep Audrey was offered an awesome job as lead Houston sales rep with Bell's starting Sunday (beers should start arriving in March), which means she's heading up to Michigan a few days after Hop Slam is canned! They are literally sending her back with a new checked bag for her to bring beer home in, and I intend to take as much advantage of this as possible.
corndog04
AG
Scriffer said:

If any of you Dallas folks headed that way want a wine check, I've got one laying around you can use.

I've got one too in Houston (clear lake) if anyone needs it.
La Fours
AG
Not cool, bro.
La Fours
AG
Just kidding.
BSD
AG
Fine. you use my wine check for the trip and I'll use the box. All i ask is that I get to roll the wine check around and you handle the box. And then we'll switch once we get back.
La Fours
AG
No worries bro. I'm good with a box. I've handled many a box before.
BSD
AG
La Fours said:

No worries bro. I'm good with a box. I've handled many a box before.
my man!!!

62strat
AG
Woah.. oskar blues purchased cigar city in 2016?? I missed that one.

I could easily see in 10 years, a brand like new belgium or dogfish head or oskar blues owning a portfolio of acquired breweries that is bringing in billions of dollars... but it would all be craft. How will people perceive this differently than AB owning craft breweries? Is it the same idea? A company wanting to dominate the industry and shelf space? It's really no different than AB at all, business wise.

Is a cigar city sell to oskar blues considered 'selling out'? OB also apparently bought Perrin from michigan.

http://www.denverpost.com/2016/03/14/oskar-blues-buys-cigar-city-brewing-in-deal-valued-at-60-million/

MW13
AG
2 of our group are driving to Decorah and me and 1 more are flying to Chicago where we will all meet up. So we will have an SUV that will be loaded down on the way back.

We are in the final stages of trying to plan our itinerary and are debating our St Louis stop. . . We only have time for 1 stop and are trying to decide between Perennial, Narrow Gauge and Side Project . Any opinions on these?
NColoradoAG
MW13 said:

We are in the final stages of trying to plan our itinerary and are debating our St Louis stop. . . We only have time for 1 stop and are trying to decide between Perennial, Narrow Gauge and Side Project . Any opinions on these?
I dont really know how it's a debate. Side Project.
steve00
AG
I don't care about their rules, I still enjoyed it last night.
NColoradoAG
62strat said:

I could easily see in 10 years, a brand like new belgium or dogfish head or oskar blues owning a portfolio of acquired breweries that is bringing in billions of dollars... but it would all be craft. How will people perceive this differently than AB owning craft breweries? Is it the same idea? A company wanting to dominate the industry and shelf space? It's really no different than AB at all, business wise.

Is a cigar city sell to oskar blues considered 'selling out'? OB also apparently bought Perrin from michigan.

http://www.denverpost.com/2016/03/14/oskar-blues-buys-cigar-city-brewing-in-deal-valued-at-60-million/

Technically Fireman Capital bought Cigar City, since they own the controlling stake in Oskar Blues.

Craft beer is just like any other business sector. There are going to be mergers, acquisitions, and sales.
MW13
AG
NColoradoAG said:

MW13 said:

Cool, we honestly didn't know much about them but if Side Project is that clearly ahead of them that oughta be where we stop I guess.
La Fours
AG
Yeah, Side Project is the only choice.
BSD
AG
Side Project.
maca1028
I'm one jealous sumbish that my email didn't get pulled for the lotto. I guess at least I don't have to explain to the mrs why I used our airline miles for a beer trip.
MW13
AG
maca1028 said:

I'm one jealous sumbish that my email didn't get pulled for the lotto. I guess at least I don't have to explain to the mrs why I used our airline miles for a beer trip.
Ya we may all need lawyers when we get back. All the wives were like "yall are crazy, have fun" but the feeling might be different after they see the bill I imagine were gonna rack up.
62strat
AG
NColoradoAG said:

62strat said:

Technically Fireman Capital bought Cigar City, since they own the controlling stake in Oskar Blues.

Craft beer is just like any other business sector. There are going to be mergers, acquisitions, and sales.
I was asking more of peoples perception of 'craft' buying craft vs. AB buying craft. People love to hate on GI or Breck because they are now AB, but are they now gonna love to hate Cigar city, or who knows else in the future that gets acquired by a brewery that is still craft in their eyes? (by def. OB isn't craft since majority owner is not a craft brewer.. but it's far different than being owned by AB)

What if DFH starts acquiring, and in 10 years is a 10 billion dollar business with a huge market share with 25 names under its belt like jester king, russian river, weldwerks, etc.., and getting these products on the shelf or on tap in every nook and cranny of america for cheaper than your local guy can do because of huge increases in volume.. this is what I'm curious to see pan out and the reactions/perceptions that ensue. The article above clearly mentions OB intentions with cigar city is to help get them to that next level of increased production.
Bmac04
AG
NColoradoAG said:

MW13 said:

MathNewman06
AG
MW13 said:

maca1028 said:

Ya we may all need lawyers when we get back. All the wives were like "yall are crazy, have fun" but the feeling might be different after they see the bill I imagine were gonna rack up.

It's a good thing Mrs. BSD will be there to keep everyone in line.
NColoradoAG
62strat said:

NColoradoAG said:

62strat said:

I was asking more of peoples perception of 'craft' buying craft vs. AB buying craft. People love to hate on GI or Breck because they are now AB, but are they now gonna love to hate Cigar city, or who knows else in the future that gets acquired by a brewery that is still craft in their eyes? (by def. OB isn't craft since majority owner is not a craft brewer.. but it's far different than being owned by AB)

What if DFH starts acquiring, and in 10 years is a 10 billion dollar business with a huge market share with 25 names under its belt like jester king, russian river, weldwerks, etc.., and getting these products on the shelf or on tap in every nook and cranny of america for cheaper than your local guy can do because of huge increases in volume.. this is what I'm curious to see pan out and the reactions/perceptions that ensue. The article above clearly mentions OB intentions with cigar city is to help get them to that next level of increased production.

I think very few people care. Consumers want the best product at the lowest price. There will be people who make purchases based on the ownership and source of the product, just like people do at the grocery store or at the car dealership, but that's a small percentage IMO.

I have always been of the opinion that I will judge a beer based on the product in the glass. That is the best way to win in craft beer. There are plenty of outlets for your product. There is a lot of competition for those spots regardless of whether American Eagle is servicing the taps, or it is Weld Werks self distributing. If you make good beer, you will thrive. If "your local guy" doesn't make good beer he will fail.
wessimo
AG
cc10106 said:

BOO. Whole Foods $2 Thursday beers ends next week.

Damnit!!
First Page Last Page
Page 1120 of 1786

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.