Home Improvement
Sponsored by

Remodeling my wife's grandparents old house

52,572 Views | 213 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by vmiaptetr
schwack schwack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'd love it - but we're on a lake & literally 3 of the 4 exterior walls are all crank out, metal casement windows - almost floor to ceiling. The 4th wall is built into a hill - no windows. The windows are why we bought it. The east facing front has a giant covered porch & the west wall is built into a hill - no windows - so it's more energy efficient than we thought it would be but furniture & art placement is a little tricky. That & if the wind is blowin' just right - you can feel it! Got a bigger HVAC unit with dehumidifying action that compensates & it's easy to make it comfortable all year.

vmiaptetr
AG
All the windows are in except for six because I am not a window expert and I didn't order the mullions for them. I'm gonna have Lincoln overnight me unfinished ones and their paint code so I can get them in there hopefully soon.
schwack schwack
AG
Those are beautiful.
aggie2812-2
AG
Curious on how much you spent on leveling the foundation if you don't mind saying. Might have to do something similar. Enjoy seeing the progress!
vmiaptetr
AG
It was just over $21k. Since I didn't have to save the flooring, they could bust through the slab on some parts. Otherwise they would have had to tunnel underneath the house, and that quote was for $37k.
aggie2812-2
AG
Thanks! That's around what I was thinking! Keep posting the pictures, I enjoying seeing them.
Roger That
AG
msechelski said:

It was just over $21k. Since I didn't have to save the flooring, they could bust through the slab on some parts. Otherwise they would have had to tunnel underneath the house, and that quote was for $37k.

Can buy a lot of flooring for $16k.
vmiaptetr
AG
I imagine it would have to be one of those situations where you are remodeling a historical house/building and needed to save the flooring.
vmiaptetr
AG
No work getting done, but the snow makes everything look good.

vmiaptetr
AG
Getting a new roof put on today.
vmiaptetr
AG
I think they'll finish the rest tomorrow, but looking good. I apologize to everyone who hates the monochromatic look. The brick will be painted white.

AgLA06
AG
That will look great with the dark windows.
vmiaptetr
AG
All the windows are finally in. AC has been installed. Electrical is being run. Knotwood siding is finally going up.

vmiaptetr
AG
More siding

555-PINF
I passed by about 30 minutes ago. It's really coming together and the siding looks great. It has a little of an orange hue in the pictures, but seems a lot more natural in person. I'm excited to see how it looks once the brick is painted.
vmiaptetr
AG
Yeah. Every time I take a picture, I think, "That doesn't look exactly like it." Guess I gotta break out the Nikon.
vmiaptetr
AG
Getting all foamed up today.

AgLA06
AG
That will make a huge difference.

I wish I could have my interior bedroom walls spray foamed for noise insulation. If my walls were opened up like that, I'd probably bite the bullet.
Marvin_Zindler
AG
I hate tankless that is inset into the side of a building. Too many potential leak/ water infill points. Make sure that thing is sealed inside and flashed/taped like hell on the outside.
The Fife
Considering doing this with my garage and other rooms when all this work that's schedule to happen at home finally kicks off. I've already done it in other areas and it makes a huge difference!
vmiaptetr
AG
Nothing to do with the house, but... I found a rusty, old cleaver in the dairy barn and had it refinished for a gift to my in-laws. Original markings and serial numbers date it back to about 1885, which probably made the original owner my MIL's great-great-grandfather. Turned out to be a winner of a gift.
The guys who refinished it, Brackin Blades Forge, asked me if I wanted it to look completely new or leave some character. I opted for character.

Hwy30East
That is awesome!
dubi
vmiaptetr
AG
Drywall started going up today

vmiaptetr
AG
Drywall is up. Pretty much done with the tape and floating. The fence guys have been out here to build me a new fence to make the back yard bigger. Nothing crazy. Wire fence with a top rail. Painters came out and did some stain work on the back porch. Need the brick layers to touch some things up on the outside and then we can paint the rest of it. Starting to look like a house again.

vmiaptetr
AG
We've been running some new fence line around the property, and here are a couple pics of the new fence line on the backyard. We extended it past the two oak trees. I kind of felt bad because the cows usually use those trees for shade in the hot afternoons.

c-jags
msechelski said:

Drywall is up. Pretty much done with the tape and floating. The fence guys have been out here to build me a new fence to make the back yard bigger. Nothing crazy. Wire fence with a top rail. Painters came out and did some stain work on the back porch. Need the brick layers to touch some things up on the outside and then we can paint the rest of it. Starting to look like a house again.

Drywall is the really great part to me. I finally felt like we were close in our remodel process when it was up and textured. Could really start picturing how it was going to look afterwards at that point.

Do you have an ETA?
vmiaptetr
AG
c-jags said:

Do you have an ETA?

I've given up on even thinking of an ETA. My ambitious goal was to have it done by Christmas 2020. What an idiot.
dubi
AG
Quote:

I've given up on even thinking of an ETA. My ambitious goal was to have it done by Christmas 2020. What an idiot.

I always say any kind of car/home improvement takes 3 times longer that whatever estimate my hubby gives me....
c-jags
msechelski said:

c-jags said:

Do you have an ETA?

I believed my Contractor when they told me Thanksgiving. Then Christmas. Then mid January. After that I stopped asking. Didn't stop my wife.

When they gave us a final inspection date I was pretty flippant about it actually happening.
91AggieLawyer
AG
AgLA06 said:

I wish I could have my interior bedroom walls spray foamed for noise insulation. If my walls were opened up like that, I'd probably bite the bullet.

While it would make SOME difference, I don't think it would cause the improvements you'd expect or want. I think it would just dull the muddle the sound a bit -- depending on where its coming from and what it is.
AgLA06
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

AgLA06 said:

While it would make SOME difference, I don't think it would cause the improvements you'd expect or want. I think it would just dull the muddle the sound a bit -- depending on where its coming from and what it is.

Maybe. I just assumed spray foam would work for noise mufling like other options. Either way, I'd still do something between bedrooms.
Aggietaco
AG
AgLA06 said:

91AggieLawyer said:

AgLA06 said:

Maybe. I just assumed spray foam would work for noise mufling like other options. Either way, I'd still do something between bedrooms.
It makes a huge difference IMO. Rockwool safe 'n sound batts are great but even run of the mill fiberglass unfaced batts make a space a lot quieter.
one MEEN Ag
AG
dubi said:

Quote:

I always say any kind of car/home improvement takes 3 times longer that whatever estimate my hubby gives me....
I've recently started using this method and it hasn't steered me wrong yet.

If you're a weekend warrior trying to get work done on nights and weekends a project will take twice as long and as well as increase in units to get it done.

So a 'one hour' job is actually going to take two days to get it completely done from start to finish. A project that will take a full week of work will take two months to get it fully finished.

It might seem excessive, but when you consider busy lives and trying to spend time with family beyond just working on projects, its about right.
vmiaptetr
AG
one MEEN Ag said:

I've recently started using this method and it hasn't steered me wrong yet.

If you're a weekend warrior trying to get work done on nights and weekends a project will take twice as long and as well as increase in units to get it done.

So a 'one hour' job is actually going to take two days to get it completely done from start to finish. A project that will take a full week of work will take two months to get it fully finished.

It might seem excessive, but when you consider busy lives and trying to spend time with family beyond just working on projects, its about right.

I demo'd the house myself. I originally thought 2 weeks, and took about 6. I've had crews here to put it back together. The hold up is always some special order item (windows, siding, appliances, wall paper) that I ordered outside of their wheelhouse and we have to wait on it.

My dad bought a house when I was in 5th grade and did everything himself except the cabinets. He spent every free minute he had in that house, except for Sundays when he spent time with us. We didn't move into it until I was a junior in high school.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.