Home Improvement
Sponsored by

Remodeling my wife's grandparents old house

52,644 Views | 213 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by vmiaptetr
AgCWby90CS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Probably welded wire mesh. It comes in rolls and is a bit more flexible than the panels used in the exterior slab, flexible enough to roll.
CWby '90
vmiaptetr
AG
It's happening. My son is homeschooled, so it's a good morning to see some hard work in progress.

vmiaptetr
AG
More from the slab lay

vmiaptetr
AG
Pulled the old roof off today

Texasclipper
AG
Great progress! I hope you didn't throw that Hunter ceiling fan in the dumpster. Its way better than any of the Chinese crap they sell today. There are videos on line on how to clean them up, repaint them, and restore. I've done a couple and they are smooth and quiet.
vmiaptetr
AG
It was the only fixture I saved, and it was a monster to get down. Those old cast iron Hunter's are serious business.
vmiaptetr
AG
Got two load bearing walls down, and doubled the size of an exterior opening to get a better view. Additional kitchen area has also been framed out.

vmiaptetr
AG
Does anyone know someone who could get this up and running again? I have power to it, but that's about it

vmiaptetr
AG
Got a back porch. Kind of. Gonna make those windows a foot taller and cut out an opening for a door leading to the covered portion. That should even things out.

vmiaptetr
AG
Haven't posted any pictures of the addition since it has been framed up. One more window needs to be cut out, but the framer wanted to verify size before he cut it.
Project is being held up by materials. We ended up choosing a company called Knot Wood for our siding on the addition. It's an aluminum that is powder coated to look like wood. Out actual color will be much lighter than the samples shown. Since I can't run down to Lowe's to pick this stuff up, we are just waiting.

AgLA06
AG
Interesting. Where does that fall cost wize compared to normal wood and hardy?
SPF250
AG
Does this stuff fade?
vmiaptetr
AG
The boards are produced in 18 ft. L by 6 in. W, and I was quoted $100/board.
vmiaptetr
AG
Warranty covers fading, and I was told their testing showed less than 5% fading in extreme heat conditions over a 15 year period.
schwack schwack
AG
Knot Wood is an interesting product - any where to see it in Texas besides your house?
AgLA06
AG
Some of those colors and patterns look 100% real. Some really don't. Really interesting the variance along the same product.

That stuff should be taking over the commercial industry.

I looked to see if they had a log home product, but they don't. That would have been interesting.
vmiaptetr
AG
I think it's becoming a common commercial product. Chances are, it can be seen in new commercial development. Probably all over the exterior of your local Starbucks.
AgCWby90CS
AG
I see on the website it is on KFC and McDs. We have a KFC and several McDs under construction but neither are using this product. They both however are using more new products on the exteriors, from composite panels to beaded hardi siding. May not be long till one uses this product locally.
CWby '90
Txgunrnnr
schwack schwack
AG
Quote:

Probably all over the exterior of your local Starbucks.
No doubt, but I live in the boonies (no Starbucks yet.... but I hear they're coming). I guess I was really wondering if there was a dealer with actual samples somewhere other than GA.
vmiaptetr
AG
When talking to the guy, the product is manufactured in Canada, and the place in GA owns the distribution rights for the entire U.S.
dubi
AG
msechelski said:

Got a back porch. Kind of. Gonna make those windows a foot taller and cut out an opening for a door leading to the covered portion. That should even things out.

Why not just cut down the brick on the existing window and install a french/sliding door?

We have done that 3 times in 1960's houses and will be much easier than cutting an entire new opening for a door. Plus you would have the cost of the door and a window replacement.
AgLA06
AG
dubi said:

msechelski said:

Why not just cut down the brick on the existing window and install a french/sliding door?

We have done that 3 times in 1960's houses and will be much easier than cutting an entire new opening for a door. Plus you would have the cost of the door and a window replacement.

Probably because his stated reason for doing so was to center the openings on the new porch cover.
vmiaptetr
AG
Yeah, as mentioned, we're going that route for aesthetics. The windows and doors have all been ordered, so the expense is accounted for. I'm sure it has something to do with some "Golden Ratio" the architect kept talking about. Which I believe is Latin for "spend more money."
vmiaptetr
AG
Started planing these old wood floors to get them ready for the ceiling. I was a little worried about the final turn out, but I'm starting to get some confidence.

vmiaptetr
AG
Knotwood siding came in today. Windows are supposed to be here next week, so hopefully this will all go up soon.

vmiaptetr
AG
Got some soffit and gables painted. Now just waiting on the roofing materials. Windows gets here tomorrow. Brick guys came today and cut out a doggie door and my bedroom door. We are using an existing exterior wall as an accent wall in or new bedroom. They also did a lot of patch work to the brick since the house had been releveled. They cut the window larger, but it still needs to be re-framed. Still need to cut out the new back door as well.

vmiaptetr
AG
We got windows!

dubi
AG
msechelski said:

We got windows!

is this one huge joined piece?
vmiaptetr
AG
Yes. According to the paperwork, it weighs almost 450 lbs. There used to be a sliding door that led to the back yard. We doubled the size of that hole, and this will go in there.
dubi
AG
I feel for the installers!
schwack schwack
AG
Enjoy watching your progress. Can't wait to see that siding in place & how the installation goes. The windows are great, too.

We live in a kinda cool 1964 build & constantly kick around a full renovation. We have literal walls of incredibly inefficient, large sections of metal casement windows on 3 sides & the cost to replace them is what keeps putting us on pause. Might be cheaper to build a new house......

c-jags
schwack schwack said:

Enjoy watching your progress. Can't wait to see that siding in place & how the installation goes. The windows are great, too.

We live in a kinda cool 1964 build & constantly kick around a full renovation. We have literal walls of incredibly inefficient, large sections of metal casement windows on 3 sides & the cost to replace them is what keeps putting us on pause. Might be cheaper to build a new house......

not that i am advocating for it, because it was an awful process, but if you don't like your current mortgage rate, you can do different loan that lets you lock it in at a lower rate and build in the remodel cost to the new loan.

i.e. i bought a 1940s house in 2009 and paid about $900 mortgage at 6% interest. 10 years later we rolled the remaining balance and a large sum into a remodel and got 3% interest and are paying $1400 for a completely remodeled house.
schwack schwack
AG
Quote:

but if you don't like your current mortgage rate,

No mortgage, but I can see how that would work out great if I had one.
dubi
AG
schwack schwack said:

We put in French doors everywhere we had huge windows. Saved money and we like them much better.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.