Home Improvement
Sponsored by

Remodeling my wife's grandparents old house

52,628 Views | 213 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by vmiaptetr
sellthefarm
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm not into painted brick, but dang that looks awesome.
vmiaptetr
AG
I'll credit it to whatever minerals are in the paint. I didn't want it looking like someone sprayed white Plasti-Dip all over my house.
c-jags
sellthefarm said:

I'm not into painted brick, but dang that looks awesome.

Ditto. I'm over the white and black. It's not that it doesn't look good but when we did our remodel last year and we were looking around at new builds EVERYBODY was doing it.

Numerous builders even commented on that thread not to do it. I like it more on the ranch style like the OP than I do all the new board and batton styles.

Not a knock, I think Chip and Joanna just made the market go crazy with that style. It look great.
vmiaptetr
AG
I do think the monochromatic look is played out. I think as builder grade houses shot up everywhere, the cheap materials used resulted in a cheapened look of what Chip and Joanna made popular. White paint and black windows don't automatically give someone a farmhouse.

Hopefully I don't break my arm while patting myself on the back, but I do feel like we got the look right.
AggieOE12
AG
What an incredible transformation. Love seeing renovations compared to scratch.
vmiaptetr
AG
On the complete opposite end of the 'farmhouse' look, this room is starting to take form. Still need wallpaper on a couple walls, need to change those light switches out to match the paint, flooring, and some ridiculous furniture to match. We got one of those old school freestanding fireplaces for this room as well.
This room will NOT age gracefully. It'll be like my Grandma's house with her bedroom of red shag carpet and red bedding (I've still got questions about grandma's younger days). But we intentionally wanted to make it pretty swanky, so whatever.
Corps_Ag12
AG
That's a hell of a carport, love it!
The Fife
I'm personally not into painted brick but with so many changes to the footprint it's the only way to go IMO. There just aren't really any options that would've gone well here if the brick were left alone.
vmiaptetr
AG
Or just tear it all down, literally just leaving the studs and slab, and do new siding all over. At this point, why the hell not? Haha! After this project, I know the actual cost of sentimental value.
vmiaptetr
AG
Tile has been going in. I'm gonna make my 3rd baby in that shower.

Fairview
AG
That will be a fun story to tell that kid some day.
XpressAg09
AG
I'm lurking, impressed, jealous, but died laughing at this.

Good for you, man.
vmiaptetr
AG
Master bathroom cabinets got put in this morning. Still need to run over it with some polyurethane, but I'm happy with how they came out. It's Koa wood. I used to live in Hawaii, and I always thought the stuff looked beautiful.

The Fife
What veneer is that? Looks kind of like walnut from far away but close in it's clearly something else.
Aggietaco
AG
Is that black plaster in the same bathrooms as your black tiled shower?
vmiaptetr
AG
It's Koa. It's a Hawaiian wood.
vmiaptetr
AG
Yes. That is correct. They will be filming the next Batman movie in my bathroom.
Aggietaco
AG
vmiaptetr said:

Yes. That is correct. They will be filming the next Batman movie in my bathroom.
No kidding. Hope you have brass fixtures going in too.
The Fife
Black tile + brass fixtures = OP is gonna party like it's 1981! He's gonna need to start rocking the Selleck and get some Hawaiian shirts.
dubi
AG
The Fife said:

Black tile + brass fixtures = OP is gonna party like it's 1981! He's gonna need to start rocking the Selleck and get some Hawaiian shirts.

I had a black sink and hated the hard water deposits. We will definitely need an update a few months after use.
vmiaptetr
AG
First off, it's not brass. It's brushed gold.

Second. I got it all black so I could see where I dropped my cocaine.
vmiaptetr
AG
Counter tops came in today

vmiaptetr
AG
My kid's shower and the vanity is getting it's glossy finish put on it. Someone mentioned black sinks. I'm sure 'll be complaining about water stains within a week of moving in.

vmiaptetr
AG
We're in the home stretch. Wallpaper is up, kitchen backsplash is up, flooring is down, gravel is grated, and roof is on the carport. Need baseboards, appliances, plumbing fixtures, couple of electrical fixtures, touch up paint, and fireplace. Sept. 18 will make it a year on this project.

vmiaptetr
AG
All my gold started going in today

BenTheGoodAg
AG
I've really enjoyed watching this thread. Really neat to see it come together at the end. I'm not sure I've got the same taste as far as finishes go, but I do really appreciate some of the selections made, how well they go together, and the quality of the install.

Great job, thanks for sharing, and keep the pictures coming.
dubi
AG
Really coming together. I love the white counters.

I also like the top shelves in the kitchen, but where are you putting all the crap that would go in the missing top cabinets?

I'm the one that mentioned hating our black sink; I hope you are more accepting of the hard water deposits. :-)
mernaggie12
AG
I concur. Reminds me a lot of my favorite show, This Old House. Love seeing the demolition and the gradual progress. Congrats to y'all.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
vmiaptetr
AG
No offense taken on not having the same taste in finishes. I'm well aware that some of the stuff chosen isexcessive. Whenever I've walked family through the house, I've tried to forewarn them about some of the rooms. Definitely not traditional.
vmiaptetr
AG
If you look to the left of the kitchen picture, there is a hallway where the wall is almost all cabinets. That's where all that stuff will be stored.

I'll let you know how the water deposits treat me when I move in.
Aggietaco
AG
Do you have some gold wall hooks in your master for the headlamps?
AgLA06
AG
I thought Hugh Hefner died?!?
dubi
AG
AgLA06 said:

No need to be rude.

We all have different taste.
AgLA06
AG
dubi said:

AgLA06 said:

No need to be rude.

We all have different taste.
Who said I was being rude?

He has a very specific taste in design. The playboy mansion was known for decades as being the cutting edge of pushing design norms. Just because it isn't my design taste doesn't mean there's something wrong with it.
vmiaptetr
AG
AgLA06 said:

He may be dead, but you know that old Aggie saying, "There's a spirit. . ."

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.