Remodeling my wife's grandparents old house

51,909 Views | 213 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by MoreCushing4thePushing
MoreCushing4thePushing
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We inherited the house. Built in 1960. Sold our house in town and moved out to the country. Living with the in-laws as the process takes place. Originally, her grandparents were going to deed us some land and we were going to build, but we figured we could do this and be mortgage free. That sounded like a better idea. I'll post pics as the progress continues.

MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
First I had the foundation releveled. I had to pull up the floors so they could bust through some of the concrete. Interesting that the slab was lower where the wood floors were. It felt crazy to feel the house raising up as they leveled it.

MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Then I started demo on the inside. Did it myself. Took about 4 weeks.

MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Remodel floor plan vs current floor plan

OldArmyBrent
AG
Looking forward to this thread. One question - sorry if it's a dumb one - what are the Portland and Denver rooms?
The Fife
Cool brick! Wish I had something like that with more character than regular red.
GrimesCoAg95
AG
This is going to be another cool thread. Please get to work and give us folks more to talk about. Just kidding. Are you planning to reuse the wood flooring? It looked stacked in one picture.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Portland and Denver are my kids' names. Completely unintentional to name them after cities. We just thought it sounded good. I've never been to either city. If we named them where they were conceived, they'd both be named Fredericksburg.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Yes, I am going to refinish the floors and put them on the ceiling in some parts of the house.
Dr. Doctor
AG
If you are going to have a vaulted ceiling, I would look into doing spray foam for just that part. Increase the insulation value to lower heat gain. Just a thought.

~egon
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
I'm planning to spray foam the roof and exterior walls. Are you saying I should only spray foam the vaulted ceiling?
GrimesCoAg95
AG
I think Dr. Doctor was recommending foam for at least that part. The rest depends on the building envelope. Are you keeping it at the ceiling or moving it up to the roof deck? If you are keeping it at the ceiling, you can foam that area and use fiberglass on the rest. If you are moving it to the deck, foam everything.

For my home, I have 2x6 exterior walls and used bibs insulation. It is cheaper than foam and in a deep cavity performs very well.

Also, while you have everything open, be sure to run a piece of conduit from your electrical box to the attic and cap it. If you ever have to add a circuit, you will be glad you did.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
91AggieLawyer
AG
I like that you gutted it. Let's you see what's behind it -- electrical, insulation, etc. -- let's you do what you want -- add outlets, run cable, or whatever. Sheetrock is cheap. Well, not now it isn't, but in general, I'd pay for a redone sheetrock and texture to get the ability to easily rewire and run what I need.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Yeah. 60 years old. The plumbing was galvanized steel. The electrical had no ground wire at any outlet. Thankfully there were only 2 studs that showed any sight of termite damage, and it is on a wall that is coming out.
GrimesCoAg95
AG
Alright OP, no new pictures since Monday? We are expecting a big weekend here. Don't let us down.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
I'm having a nail pulling party tomorrow to finish prepping the old floors for the ceiling. Feel free to come get some first-hand visuals.

I have a meeting with one of the contractors tomorrow about getting someone to come lay the slab on the addition. I could probably start running pex line, or new electrical in the existing portion.
GrimesCoAg95
AG
I can't come tomorrow, but I can help in the future. As for nails, Portland and Denver should have a blast helping.
OldArmyBrent
AG
msechelski said:

Portland and Denver are my kids' names. Completely unintentional to name them after cities. We just thought it sounded good. I've never been to either city. If we named them where they were conceived, they'd both be named Fredericksburg.

Ah that makes sense! I was racking my brain trying to figure out what kind of rooms those were. Thought there was something new I'd never heard of.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Concrete guy came today to see where he was laying the slab for the addition. I have to move a fence line today and tomorrow. Pics should be coming soon.
agracer
AG
Not to be a Debbie-downer, but don't ever let people go into holes in the ground like your son above. O2 levels can be near zefo and he could go unconscious in seconds... And then when you reach in to get him out you do too.

Other than that looks like a fun project.
Fairview
AG
I'm on the tail end of a big renovation right now.

My best piece of advice for right now is order everything you need now. With covid everything is taking forever.

We are moving in next week and ordered interior doors 8 weeks ago. No idea when they are coming in. That doesn't seem like a big deal but it's a cascade. Exterior doors have no date as when they will come. Trim can't be finished until the jambs are in. Paint can't be finished until the trim is in. Our hardware for the doors should be in this week. Normally that takes 2 days. We are on week 4.

Appliances are hit or miss. We have some not coming until 1/1 and that if they don't get delayed. Our washer and dryer was supposed to come in last week and got rescheduled for Saturday. We'll see.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
I ordered appliances in September, and I have no idea when they will get here. I also ordered flooring in September and it got here last week. I need to get on the ball with windows.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Good to know. It's all sealed up now, and hopefully it will stay that way forever.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Started to get the new plumbing run. Had to pull out the old septic system because it was under where we are putting the addition (we would have replaced it anyway). Old wood floors were from Southern Pine Lumber Co, out of Diboll, TX. Going to refinish them and put them on the ceiling. Using the waterproof vinyl planks for durability.

91AggieLawyer
AG
Will there be a way to test the pex connections in the ceiling before you put drywall up?
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Yes. I'll turn the water on at the well to make sure everything holds up.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Doing some work to prepare for the additions. Adding about 1000 sq ft of living space and a covered back porch.

MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Hopefully we'll get some new slab laid this week.

sts7049
AG
following!

were there strips of wood underneath the flooring?
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Yes. There were. Originally, I was going to lay plywood down over it, and then my flooring. We ended up pulling up all the 2x4's and we're just gonna re-level it with new concrete.
schwack schwack
AG
Nice views - pretty piece of land!
WheelinAg
AG
Who did you use for the foundation leveling?
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Olshan. Took about a week.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Started rebar yesterday. Finishing up today, doing a little more plumbing, and concrete pour should happen tomorrow.

You can see the inside of the house and how part of the slab sits lower than the rest. That's where the wood floors were and they just laid them on top of 2x4's. That will be leveled out. Apparently they use some sort of wire mesh for this part. I guess I'll find out today.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.