Over my head in Sauerkraut Bend.

119,994 Views | 672 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by dubi
p_bubel
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So I'm trying to figure out a way to keep it locked in the horizontal position. Initially I didn't want gas struts on the inside, but with limited options for the exterior I've reconsidered the option, I just haven't found anything that would work. ( I think the window is about 25-30 pounds. ( it's a dense wood-not pine)

I've toyed around with two of these on the exterior but would likely need to have them made:

I think using them would be a pain to use regularly though.

So I'm at an impass. The window latches closed nicely, so that is figured out. I want to avoid a prop rod solution as I'm sure they'll be knocked out of place and the window will do some damage to either itself or the drunk (me) who wasn't paying attention.

Is there some sort of locking mechanism out there that would work? I've looked at Murphy bed hinges, all manor of shelf storage/ garage appropriate stuff with no luck. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Also, there's other stuff I've done but need to finish off before posting here.
p_bubel
(Double post - I hate doing this on the phone)
agnerd
AG
p_bubel said:

Is there some sort of locking mechanism out there that would work? I've looked at Murphy bed hinges, all manor of shelf storage/ garage appropriate stuff with no luck. Any ideas would be appreciated.
That about covers it.
One bad option is to change the pivot point of the window to the middle of the window, which kind of defeats the purpose of having it extend out.
Other bad option is to add a window counterweight to each side of the window. But then you would need a wire from the horizontal window up to top of the window to a pulley and then into the wall to connect to a counterweight that rides up and down in the wall. Now you have two holes in your house and two wires on the outside.

Your gas shock idea is probably the best.
Aggietaco
AG
If you're not going to have a screen on the interior, you could use a casement window stay. They make some that are lockable or have screw type retainers so a drunk (you) couldn't easily knock them off.
TexAg1987
Do you need it to open completely horizontal?

Traditional awning windows don't open completely.
They make hardware that will crank them open.
Otherwise, perhaps you could fashion a collapsible prop rod that is permanently mounted with a pin that can hold it at the desired angle?

Here is a hood prop for an antique car. I would imagine you could make something like this work.
https://www.yogisinc.com/YB1059TPKSS

Or this:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/lok-0401024
p_bubel
Yeah, I would like to get it near horizontal for stupid aesthetic reasons. I'm currently looking at taco truck awning equipment.

So stupid. I should have just made it open on the side like a normal person. Thanks y'all.
Aggietaco
AG
I was wondering if you wanted full horizontal while I was responding.

In that case you're probably back to hydraulics (or linear actuators...) to create a servery type window.

Biggest problem you'll have is accessing whatever hardware you end up with due to the sink and counter depth.

I've also seen some custom steel frame awning windows that used hardware similar to a casement stay but it was radiused out from the frame and the two stays were joined with a horizontal bar that was used as the handle to open the window.

I vote actuators though. And there is probably already something tailor made for your situation.
dubi
AG
Quote:

And there is probably already something tailor made for your situation that costs $$$$.

FIFY

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.