LIV and PGA Tour Merging

45,921 Views | 705 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Big Cat `93
EliteElectric
How long do you want to ignore this user?
www.elitellp.net/

Bunk Moreland

zgolfz85
AG
how much of the LIV contracts were paid upfront? For those who got huge sign-on bonuses, was that all paid in full upfront?
jonj101
https://instagr.am/p/CtMVY7btxtA
Bunk Moreland
zgolfz85 said:

how much of the LIV contracts were paid upfront? For those who got huge sign-on bonuses, was that all paid in full upfront?

Speculation for the big names who made super bank was they got 50% up front and the other 50% is paid out over a 3 year contract.
MarathonAg12
Golf ages a man worse than being an Infantryman

We are the same age and he looks rough
jonj101
Sacrificial lamb is not the phrase I'd go with. Sure, he got played to an extent, but as he said in another part of the interview he still hates LIV. So he was personally motivated to do/say the things he did.

Maybe its just me, but there are too many people claiming a degree of victim hood these days.
PJYoung
AG
PJYoung
AG
MarathonAg12 said:

Golf ages a man worse than being an Infantryman

We are the same age and he looks rough
Bunk Moreland
jonj101 said:

Sacrificial lamb is not the phrase I'd go with. Sure, he got played to an extent, but as he said in another part of the interview he still hates LIV. So he was personally motivated to do/say the things he did.

Maybe its just me, but there are too many people claiming a degree of victim hood these days.

Agree. I was looking for a video of that part. If he's being honest with himself he never wanted anything to do with LIV, and admittedly was not offered any money from them, even though the internet keeps loving to toss out $400M.

So if he never wanted anything to do with them and he didn't turn down an offer that he was considering...why is he a sacrificial lamb?
JCA1
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

jonj101 said:

Agree. I was looking for a video of that part. If he's being honest with himself he never wanted anything to do with LIV, and admittedly was not offered any money from them, even though the internet keeps loving to toss out $400M.

So if he never wanted anything to do with them and he didn't turn down an offer that he was considering...why is he a sacrificial lamb?
I'm pretty sure he wasn't offered money because he made it clear he wasn't interested, not that they didn't want him. I have little doubt he could have put hundreds of millions of dollars in his pocket from LIV if he had been interested.

I think he feels like the sacrificial lamb because he was made the face of the tour and sent out to do the tour's PR (somewhat of his own decision, but I suspect Monahan et. al. leaned on him to do so as well). Doesn't make him some big victim, but I get his irritation.
Bunk Moreland
I understand all that. But he still hated LIV and never received an offer per his own words today.
JCA1
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

I understand all that. But he still hated LIV and never received an offer per his own words today.
Then why did you ask why he thought he was a sacrificial lamb if you understood all this?
Bunk Moreland
Because he said he hated LIV and never received an offer. A sacrificial lamb would more have been one to have decided against taking an offer and then being cut down.

Rory is more of a mark than a sacrificial lamb.
JCA1
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Because he said he hated LIV and never received an offer. A sacrificial lamb would more have been one to have decided against taking an offer and then being cut down.

Rory is more of a mark than a sacrificial lamb.
He feels like a sacrificial lamb for the Tour. That's got nothing to do with what LIV offered or didn't offer.

And he's talking extemporaneously in a press conference after being blindsided by enormous news that will fundamentally change his sport. If you don't think he has chosen every word perfectly while taking questions from reporters, OK. But I'm not seeing the big deal.
jonj101
Yeah, its like he doesn't want to completely throw Monahan under the bus, but if he wants to blame someone (aside from himself) for parading out there being the mascot of the PGAT only for the tour then to come back and align with Saudi and the PIF, who else besides Jay are you going to point the finger at?

A few other notes:

Its nice that Kyle Porter is providing these updates, but he seems to have a spin/angle towards Rory/Tiger/PGAT. Maybe thats the case, maybe that isn't - I haven't read a lot of his stuff in the past.

Based on publicly available knowledge, Tiger and Rory loathe Greg Norman. As abrasive as Greg can be, it makes him an easy fall guy in this situation. So now that Saudi has what it wants, it can fold LIV completely (if desired), Greg can be the fall guy/antagonist that everyone sees him as, and the new narrative can be a whole kumbaya/good for the game situation and the 'dirty Saudi money' talking points can disappear.
sts7049
AG
wonder how norman feels again after being on top for a bit and having it yanked away suddenly
MarathonAg12
Bunk Moreland said:

"There's no denying that this decision is better for the game of golf"

Well that settles it
concac
AG
jonj101 said:

Yeah, its like he doesn't want to completely throw Monahan under the bus, but if he wants to blame someone (aside from himself) for parading out there being the mascot of the PGAT only for the tour then to come back and align with Saudi and the PIF, who else besides Jay are you going to point the finger at?

A few other notes:

Its nice that Kyle Porter is providing these updates, but he seems to have a spin/angle towards Rory/Tiger/PGAT. Maybe thats the case, maybe that isn't - I haven't read a lot of his stuff in the past.

Based on publicly available knowledge, Tiger and Rory loathe Greg Norman. As abrasive as Greg can be, it makes him an easy fall guy in this situation. So now that Saudi has what it wants, it can fold LIV completely (if desired), Greg can be the fall guy/antagonist that everyone sees him as, and the new narrative can be a whole kumbaya/good for the game situation and the 'dirty Saudi money' talking points can disappear.

Tiger hated Norman way before LIV.

Norman got pissed that Tiger moved into his neighborhood and didn't stop by to say hello.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Norman will get a nice severance package and ride off in to the sunset. He can claim victory by finally getting what he wanted 30+ years ago- a world tour with the best players playing for big money in different locations. It may not happen right away but I imagine we'll see some form of this.
bagger05
AG
Re: Rory and sacrificial lamb, probably not the right choice of words. But I see where he's coming from.

At the very beginning, LIV wanted to coexist with the PGAT, but the PGAT shut that down immediately. Had there been an option to do LIV for crazy bank and remain on the PGAT, no doubt in my mind that Rory would've said yes and been one of the highest paid participants.

He never got that option because the PGAT squashed that possibility. Now all of the sudden it appears that it actually was an option. And it's because the very person who prevented you from considering it has secretly negotiated a deal that was exactly the opposite of what he was shouting very loudly to everyone. And oh by the way, he comes out the other side with a $7.5MM/yr raise.

I'd bet this whole situation goes 100% against things that Jay Monahan personally said to Rory face to face. If I was Rory I would be pretty damn irritated.

I still think it's very likely that Monahan turns out to be the sacrificial lamb. He looks worse than anyone in this whole thing.
98Ag99Grad
AG
NLU guys were harping on this. I guess 3 or so years ago Monahan wouldn't take their (Saudis) calls and ignored them altogether. Liv formed to give PIF an entrance in to golf and here we are today.
concac
AG
Nobody came out of this without getting a hit on their reputation except for the Saudis and all the lawyers.
bagger05
AG
Even before this I thought that Monahan had done an awful job with the whole situation. I think he's the main reason things got so adversarial in the first place.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Monahan looks like an elitist northeast snob. Finchem looks like a crusty old fart who would stab you in the eye. Wonder how he would have handled this?
JCA1
AG
98Ag99Grad said:

NLU guys were harping on this. I guess 3 or so years ago Monahan wouldn't take their (Saudis) calls and ignored them altogether. Liv formed to give PIF an entrance in to golf and here we are today.
This seems to be true, but I can't say that Monahan made some indefensible decision in that moment. Not wanting to get in bed with the Saudis three years ago (that was right after the Khashoggi murder) was not some crazy decision. Most would have done the same thing at that time. But, clearly, hindsight is 20/20 and they would probably do it differently if given the chance. I don't think the PGAT thought the PIF was truly willing to burn the amount of money they have been willing to burn to force their way into golf. If there was a strategic mistake several years ago, it was probably that.
class of 03
I wonder how the LIV guys feel about this? The bottom half, which includes some big names like Poulter, Casey, Na, etc., do they have some exempt status for half of next year based upon their golf rankings when they left? Would think the Pat Perez, CH3, Hudson Swaffords of that bunch are not pleased that a gravy train might have derailed. They got paid to ride the train though, paid well.
StEdsCOOG
zgolfz85 said:

Mickelson signed for $200m with $100m upfront and the remaining $100m to be paid out over three years.
AustinCountyAg
I'm thinking they are indifferent. They got paid and now they will go back to the PGAT if they choose. Those caliber players for LIV are the ones who came out the best in this whole ordeal.
jonj101
Yeah, agree with that - I wasn't implying that they liked him before LIV.
MAROON
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Has Phil Mickelson ever been cowed by anyone in his entire life?

Just his marker holders in Vegas
DannyDuberstein
AG
Rory was the PGAT's leverage. He's one reason why LIV wasn't able to get all the talented it wanted, ended up relegated to the CW with almost no one watching, and had a very questionable long-term outlook. All that brings the merger to the table because it wasn't gonna be viable. HeMs not the only reason, but the guys that circled the wagons for the PGAT do get somewhat burned here. So I can see what he's trying to say
Bunk Moreland
DannyDuberstein said:

Rory was the PGAT's leverage. He's one reason why LIV wasn't able to get all the talented it wanted, ended up relegated to the CW with almost no one watching,

This is quite the leap. Again they were relegated to the CW due to the PR team pushing 9/11 stuff + collusion with the PGAT and the media networks. Not because of Rory McIlroy.
AustinCountyAg
Hence a huge reason why the PGAT would agree to merge. They know all that would come out in the lawsuits.
AustinCountyAg
I see this whole thing now as the PGAT are 7 years olds with Monaghan's currently being the 16 older brother babysitting while the parents (Saudi's) are out of town. Jay might "be in charge" but if the kids want to do anything serious they are gunna have to get permission from the parents.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.