LIV and PGA Tour Merging

41,257 Views | 705 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by Big Cat `93
Big Walt Law Firm
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Really sucks for the middle of the pack guys who stuck with the PGA instead of taking a 20 million paycheck for one year off the tour.
AustinCountyAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yes, but will Rory and all his sheep just decline the tournament winnings since it's "Saudi money"???

EAD Rory and all the hypocrites
class of 03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Rory to the range goats.
Ezra Brooks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
aggiedent said:

I think the PGA tour spread themselves a little too thin by having too many tournaments, some of which had leaderboards comprised of no-names and also rans.

They would be better served to maintain and improve their core tournaments that attract the big names.
Thing is - Monahan is compensated/bonused very much on "# of playing opportunities" - so ramping up the # of events, and field sizes was not only in his best interest, but was at the very least one of his primary responsibilities.

Go listen to the NLU podcast with the DP World Tour commish - serving the membership from top to bottom is a very hard job.
Marauder Blue 6
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

Yes, but will Rory and all his sheep just decline the tournament winnings since it's "Saudi money"???

EAD Rory and all the hypocrites
It sounds like Rory and all the PGAT players were blindsided by this and this was all Monahan's doing. It will be interesting to hear how this has developed. If Monahan did this all on his own without telling anyone, he'll get run out of town.
AggieDruggist89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Marauder Blue 6 said:

AustinCountyAg said:

Yes, but will Rory and all his sheep just decline the tournament winnings since it's "Saudi money"???

EAD Rory and all the hypocrites
It sounds like Rory and all the PGAT players were blindsided by this and this was all Monahan's doing. It will be interesting to hear how this has developed. If Monahan did this all on his own without telling anyone, he'll get run out of town.
By who? By the players? LOL

Monahan now bows to the house of saud.
Aggie369
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Lol

Who said they would/could go anywhere?

I said they would be upset
Legal Custodian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wasn't there a little bit of a news story when Rory was asked about LIV at the press conference before the Memorial this past weekend? If I remember correctly Rory was asked about LIV again and he pretty much denied to comment about it and said he wants to focus on the tournament and he was tired of speaking about LIV. I remember there were people surprised that he just declined to talk about it at all and were wondering if something had changed.

One could easily surmise that he might have been made aware about the talks and was told or advised to stand down on his rhetoric?
Spaceship
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I can't imagine he was in the loop on something this confidential. More likely he was just fatigued about the subject.
MW03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Aggie369 said:

Lol

Who said they would/could go anywhere?

I said they would be upset

Touche.
aggiedent
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
"Go listen to the NLU podcast with the DP World Tour commish - serving the membership from top to bottom is a very hard job."

I agree with that. Thing is, where does the interest in the PGA tour (fan interest, which translates to sponsor dollars and TV contracts, etc etc.) come from? The top. 5% of the players attract 99% of the interest, and hence, generate the vast majority of the revenue. In modern day golf, the Tiger Woods effect.

I know they want to grow the game and provide more chances for everyone (DEI has invaded golf too), but they have to remember where their bread is buttered.

Don't water down your product!!
Thisguy1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AustinCountyAg said:

Yes, but will Rory and all his sheep just decline the tournament winnings since it's "Saudi money"???

EAD Rory and all the hypocrites


They had a choice before. They no longer have that choice.
zgolfz85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
has anyone put out a pod worth listening to on today's news yet?
Mr.Bond
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
zgolfz85 said:

has anyone put out a pod worth listening to on today's news yet?



Fore Play has.
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.




RogerFurlong
How long do you want to ignore this user?
No laying up will go live at 6 I believe. They'll be the best to listen to.
MarathonAg12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Is Rory alive?
Quinn
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Shotgun Start put theirs up already. Mentioned that they received text (unconfirmed) that Tiger and Rory didn't know about this.

Edit:

zgolfz85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
nice, thanks dudes
JCA1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It was reported that only the PIF guy, Monahan and Jimmy Dunne were in the know.
Marauder Blue 6
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

Marauder Blue 6 said:

AustinCountyAg said:

Yes, but will Rory and all his sheep just decline the tournament winnings since it's "Saudi money"???

EAD Rory and all the hypocrites
It sounds like Rory and all the PGAT players were blindsided by this and this was all Monahan's doing. It will be interesting to hear how this has developed. If Monahan did this all on his own without telling anyone, he'll get run out of town.
By who? By the players? LOL

Monahan now bows to the house of saud.
He works for the players. If they're as pissed as it sounds, he's gone.
rak1693
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I wonder if Tiger was truly left out of the loop or if he's still just keeping it silent that he knew? Same thing with Jack Nicklaus? He's extremely involved still. I do buy that Rory may have been left out.
SW AG80
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think there is a 40% chance the PGAT players blow this deal up. If I was in their shoes I would want to hear from the lawyers who represent the PGAT and their opinion on likely hood of success in the pending litigation. What is going to be done with the $$$ that PFI is paying to the PGAT and how that money will be distributed, if any is going to be distributed.

Way too many questions still to be answered for the players to have a vote any time soon IMO.

Extremely interesting. I would pay $$$ to be able to attend that meeting. Hope Jay has saved for retirement because he could be out of a job.
MarathonAg12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Marauder Blue 6 said:

AggieDruggist89 said:

Marauder Blue 6 said:

AustinCountyAg said:

Yes, but will Rory and all his sheep just decline the tournament winnings since it's "Saudi money"???

EAD Rory and all the hypocrites
It sounds like Rory and all the PGAT players were blindsided by this and this was all Monahan's doing. It will be interesting to hear how this has developed. If Monahan did this all on his own without telling anyone, he'll get run out of town.
By who? By the players? LOL

Monahan now bows to the house of saud.
He works for the players. If they're as pissed as it sounds, he's gone.
Not so fast. He must have secured a lot of money or secured his job some how while working on the agreements and governance.

No way Monahan does this with out some security blanket. He knew players would want his head for this.
bagger05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Starting to think that Monahan is being set up as a sacrificial lamb.
JCA1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
SW AG80 said:

I think there is a 40% chance the PGAT players blow this deal up. If I was in their shoes I would want to hear from the lawyers who represent the PGAT and their opinion on likely hood of success in the pending litigation. What is going to be done with the $$$ that PFI is paying to the PGAT and how that money will be distributed, if any is going to be distributed.

Way too many questions still to be answered for the players to have a vote any time soon IMO.

Extremely interesting. I would pay $$$ to be able to attend that meeting. Hope Jay has saved for retirement because he could be out of a job.
I'm guessing Monahan walked into the meeting today and told them that the PIF was prepared to infuse a couple billion dollars. So, the choice is--add a couple billion dollars to our coffers or continue to spend millions in litigation and then have to try and go strong arm everyone we can find for the couple billion we would pass up if we don't take the deal. End of the day, I highly doubt the players will forego literal billions because they're ticked.

There's just no scenario where there's more money in blowing up the deal.
MarathonAg12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bagger05 said:

Starting to think that Monahan is being set up as a sacrificial lamb.
He will get paid either way. He will just be one of the LIV execs or PIF.

He was a major factor in making this happen.
Ezra Brooks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Monahan's gonna be ok - it's believed that his 2022 compensation was >$14Million.
Quinn
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Some interesting thoughts from Nathan Hubbard (Podcasts for the Ringer, former CEO, brother is on Tour):









SW AG80
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I agree there is no more money on blowing up the deal.
How much are the players' principles worth?

Just think how pissed Aggies were when Sankey went behind our back. And we did not have personal involvement in the outcome of what the SEC did. These players have personal involvement from the money they could make to where they have to go to play for this money.

I'm just really interested in how this turns out. Personally I don't want to watch team golf on a regular basis on the tour nor do I want guaranteed purses. That is why the only professional sports I watch are golf and rodeo.
zgolfz85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Well I'm glad we got the perspective of the dude who only watches golf and rodeo
lazuras_dc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Can someone turn this video into a face swap of pga/LIV like they did for the SEC and Texas/ou

lazuras_dc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Also…

bagger05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
No doubt he will be paid, but he is coming out of this deal looking like a real ass.

He was the one who led the charge on stonewalling any cooperation with LIV at the outset.
He was the one leveraging the 9/11 families against LIV
He was the one trying to galvanize the stars to stay in the name of tradition
He was the one brokering the changes to the tour and the enhanced events and all that

Now he's completely reversed course on everything he's been saying for a year. AND he's getting a $7.5MM/yr raise thanks to a deal that he brokered in secret with the people he said were the enemy.

On the surface it looks like he can simply be bought. Hard to see him having much credibility moving forward.

Even if he shows that this is really a good deal for the players in the long run, I still think it'd be easier for the PGAT to move forward if they fired him. I think the best thing for the PGAT is probably a "fresh start" and that'd be hard to do with Monahan still around.

Don't see what the argument would be for keeping him around.
SW AG80
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Those are more akin to what 99.9% of what each of us do or did. No one said I will pay you $500,000 a year no matter whether you perform well or not.

No, most of us ate what we killed. And I like that about the PGAT. And PRCA.
JCA1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
SW AG80 said:

I agree there is no more money on blowing up the deal.
How much are the players' principles worth?

Just think how pissed Aggies were when Sankey went behind our back. And we did not have personal involvement in the outcome of what the SEC did. These players have personal involvement from the money they could make to where they have to go to play for this money.

I'm just really interested in how this turns out. Personally I don't want to watch team golf on a regular basis on the tour nor do I want guaranteed purses. That is why the only professional sports I watch are golf and rodeo.


Just a guess but I think the PGA tour going forward stays pretty much the same as it was going to be yesterday.

Like they've done with other sports, PIF wanted a seat at the table of professional golf and was willing to lose money in the short term to do so. However, they weren't willing to lose money in perpetuity. LIV got them in the door but it was losing money left and right with really no signs of turning that around. I'm guessing the PIF doesn't really care which golf league they back as long as it has a chance of being solvent. So they proposed throwing their billions behind the Tour and the DP rather than using that money to fight them. Whether LIV exists in a couple years is going to be an interesting question. My guess is they fold it and put their money behind the Tours that actually have fanbases. But that's just a guess. After today, who knows what lies ahead.
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.