LIV and PGA Tour Merging

44,601 Views | 705 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Big Cat `93
aggiedent
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
He looks pretty rough.
DannyDuberstein
AG
2wealfth Man said:

Lt. Joe Bookman said:

sounds like Greg Sankey

seriously, have to wonder what kind of geopolitics is going here; this is much bigger then Monahan

At the end of the day, the existing PGAT players all likely get a lot more money while continuing to play on the best tour in the world. I think they'll live
jckrjr7
AG
No inside info but feel like the current version of the FedEx cup will be overseas with the championship being in Saudi Arabia. Same with tournament of champions in January.
MarathonAg12
https://www.golfchannel.com/video/jay-monahan-yasir-al-rumayyan-discuss-merger-pga-tour-liv-golf

Monahan, Al-Rumayyan talk Tour, LIV merger
AggieDruggist89
AG
2wealfth Man said:

Chamblee on Golf now
Looks like he's been crying all morning.
CyAg86
AG
Brandel and Rory have been the biggest d*cks about LIV, funny to watch them eat their s@!t.
MarathonAg12
Chamblee looks pissed off and hungover

suicide watch
MarathonAg12
Chamblee and Monahan are going to be going separate ways

Chamblee is going on a huge anti KSA rant right now
MarathonAg12
hahaha he is big mad
bagger05
AG
He just went on about how his job is to analyze GOLF and how he wants to go back to just talking GOLF and not about politics.
MarathonAg12
"today was a bad day for golf" -Chamblee
PJYoung
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Well, 15 hijackers were Saudi, so there is that. Try not to overanalyze a joke

That said, i never cared about the saudi angle. Just the two-tours-sucks-for-fans angle
Exactly.
Harry Stone
AG
Tom Kazansky 2012 said:

Bizarro Jerry said:

This is going to piss off every single PGA Tour player that stuck around. This news changes everything for golf
Their loyalty is rewarded with being absolutely stabbed in the back.

For the first time in years I sort of feel bad for Rory and Tiger.
I really don't. The guys that spoke the loudest, ie Justin Thomas, Rory, Tiger and Mr. 84 Billy Horshel all have so much money their grandkids won't know how to spend it. And the guys like Morikawa, Speith and Co., even though they were loyal but not outspoken, all are in the same situation as the aforementioned. Guys like Sam Bennett, Cameron Champ, etc, will only benefit from this with all the money that will be dumped into golf by the Saudis. The LIV players took a huge gamble and got well paid. Great for them! TBH, no one loses with this merger, including the fans. Only funny thing is the egg on the faces of the Brandel Chamblee's of the world.
PJYoung
AG
MarathonAg12 said:

hahaha he is big mad
MarathonAg12
I don't want anyone telling Paige to wear a polo!!!
jonj101
While my reaction to this has been to laugh at the PGAT and people like Chamblee who were obviously self righteous blowhard through this whole ordeal, I still maintain the same stance I had in the original big thread about this.

I'm not pro LIV. I'm pro golf entertainment. And even with this merger announcement I still want them to come up with unique ways and do more to engage fans and make watching golf worthwhile.

It may be my middle age demeanor talking, but sports entertainment has been whittled down to a bunch of commentary about how much the athletes make and all types of other topics.

They need to continue to work on better ways to get people excited about watching.
rak1693
AG
Wait until everyone realizes that the chairman of PIF, who will be the chairman of this new golf entity, is also the chairman of Saudi Aramco. So in essence, Saudi Aramco is now the the exclusive sponsor of the PGA Tour.

This is a great day for golf. Saudi Aramco could run the PGAT better than Monahan ever could.
MarathonAg12
My dad has 2 years left with Saudi Armco.

I need to make sure his retirement package includes a lifetime of PGA Tour passes
MarathonAg12
Legal Custodian
AG
Maybe it's just me, but I didn't think anything was wrong with the PGA and Professional Golf to begin with. The only complaint I would have is wishing the top players would play more often to make it more enjoyable.

I would much rather see Scheffler, Morikawa, Spieth, Rory, DJ, Koepka, Dechambeu, Thomas, etc. battle it out every weekend rather than 3-4 of them in non-elevated tournaments, have one of them miss the cut, and you're hopefully left with 2 big names within shouting distance of guys who you'll probably never hear from again.

I guess these bigger purses will help engagement from the bigger names in golf, but in all honesty I do not like this move with Saudi owning the PGA. It definitely takes enjoyment away from watching the tour for me and it all goes back to it being the Saudi government. If the European tour was the ones making LIV like moves the past 2-3 years I would feel completely different than I do now.
Ag_07
AG
So what's Greg Norman doing now?

I'm guessing he's gonna have some role or board seat of some sort.
JCA1
AG
Ag_07 said:

So what's Greg Norman doing now?

I'm guessing he's gonna have some role or board seat of some sort.
Sounds like he's probably out. Apparently, he heard about the merger about the same time we all did.
bagger05
AG
My impression as well.
AustinCountyAg
This is ****ing great mainly because the PGAT and all of its sheep are coming out of this entire deal with egg on there faces.

Golf channel right now is trying there best to spin this anyway they can.
aggiedent
AG
I think the PGA tour spread themselves a little too thin by having too many tournaments, some of which had leaderboards comprised of no-names and also rans.

They would be better served to maintain and improve their core tournaments that attract the big names.
MarathonAg12
AustinCountyAg said:

This is ****ing great mainly because the PGAT and all of its sheep are coming out of this entire deal with egg on there faces.

Are they still showing Michael Block highlights?
Dies Irae
MarathonAg12 said:

AustinCountyAg said:

Are they still showing Michael Block highlights?
Kozmozag
Sounds like he will still be liv golf's commissioner.
Aggie369
AG
Opinion of one current PGA player

All purses are gonna have to be higher or players will be quite upset
bthotugigem05
AG
Aggie369 said:

And go where?
JCA1
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

Aggie369 said:

And go where?

Yeah, I think you're both right. I bet a bunch of guys are going to be angry about how this went down, but at the end of the day, what can they do about it? Professional golf worldwide was pretty much just consolidated.

Edit to add-there may be some veto power the players could have over this. Not sure what the Tour bylaws require to approve this. But with the money the PIF is no doubt kicking in, I bet guys will grumble but ultimately vote for it.
Mateo84
AG
Everyone should keep in mind that the PGA Tour and PGA of America ("PGA") are 2 totally different entities.

I know all the "PGA" talk about this issue really means PGAT, but many people don't know the difference.

And regardless of the decisions of the PGAT and its executives to jump into bed with LIV/PIF, that should not reflect on PGA of America or all the thousands of PGA professionals and affiliated entities out there. This in reference to the Michael Block comments a few posts up.
AustinCountyAg
Aggie369 said:

Lol. Yeah ****ing right. I'm sure all the pissed off pga players will be flocking to the south central Texas hooters tour. GTFO
watty
AG
JCA1 said:

bthotugigem05 said:

Aggie369 said:

And go where?

Yeah, I think you're both right. I bet a bunch of guys are going to be angry about how this went down, but at the end of the day, what can they do about it? Professional golf worldwide was pretty much just consolidated.

Edit to add-there may be some veto power the players could have over this. Not sure what the Tour bylaws require to approve this. But with the money the PIF is no doubt kicking in, I bet guys will grumble but ultimately vote for it.

And there's no doubt the purses will be bigger. Everyone will come out of it better off than they were before.
MW03
AG
Aggie369 said:

Where are they gonna go? Charge $75 a lesson as a club pro? There now officially no other games in town.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.