***** The Masters *****

148,308 Views | 2255 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by lazuras_dc
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Because that's not how it works.

The feature groups are the feature groups all day.
Bunk Moreland
Ag_07 said:

FFS we all know "that's not how it works" currently. We get it for the 1000th time.

But they have all the technology and production in place to do it. They wouldn't have to do anything different other than tell Colt and the boys to make calls for one extra group for 1/3 of a round. If there was some major expensive or physical reason why not, then I get it. But to show tiger slogging at 9 over when everyone wants to see what the leaders are doing instead is just dumb.
aginlakeway
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Ag_07 said:

FFS we all know "that's not how it works" currently. We get it for the 1000th time.

But they have all the technology and production in place to do it. They wouldn't have to do anything different other than tell Colt and the boys to make calls for one extra group for 1/3 of a round. If there was some major expensive or physical reason why not, then I get it. But to show tiger slogging at 9 over when everyone wants to see what the leaders are doing instead is just dumb.

Unfortunately, more may want to watch Woods at +9 than the leaders.

Idiotic, but that may be true.

Thus why I wanted Woods to miss the cut.
DukeMu
The Masters and CBS coverage is laughable.

- They pretend that the internet doesn't exist

- The early coverage on Paramount+ looked like it was captured on cell phones, bad quality

- Do they not have enough cameras/cellphones for regular coverage? The featured groups gets old after 2-3 minutes.

- Sam Bennett and Phil Mickelson (featured groups PGA vs. LIV politics) don't seem to exist

- Jim Nance is a cure for insomnia

- Per NOAA, August has had only half an inch of rain today. They seem poorly prepared

- Butler Cabin/Masters officials are stuck in some Pleasantville 1955 time capsule.
Ag_07
AG
My point was WGAF why

It's not gonna happen so just get TF over it and move on.

And it's funny that everyone has been talking about is how great Masters coverage is and you can literally watch every shot of any player and now it's the complete opposite.
aginlakeway
AG
DukeMu said:

- The early coverage on Paramount+ looked like it was captured on cell phones, bad quality

- Do they not have enough cameras/cellphones for regular coverage? The featured groups gets old after 2-3 minutes.

- Sam Bennett and Phil Mickelson (featured groups PGA vs. LIV politics) don't seem to exist

- Per NOAA, August has had only half an inch of rain today. They seem poorly prepared

- Butler Cabin/Masters officials are stuck in some Pleasantville 1955 time capsule.

Agree to disagree.

I think it's the best covered/broadcast golf tournament in the world.
DukeMu
Bunk Moreland said:

Ag_07 said:

They don't care..."because integrity of the game."
DukeMu
aginlakeway said:

DukeMu said:

Agree to disagree.

I think it's the best covered/broadcast golf tournament in the world.

Alternate Reality. CBS doesn't have 4K. The broadcast is slow. The Masters wouldn't show the front 9 for decades. The CBS coverage starts at 3 pm ET.

LIV has 4 K and non-stop action. The US Open is covered wall to wall for 7-8 hours. Overall coverage + featured groups. The (British Open) is also covered wall to wall.
MAROON
AG
One of the worst takes I've ever seen on TexAgs……and that's saying a lot
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
DukeMu
MAROON said:

"A tradition, like no other."

If you want to sleep in your rocker, that's great.

The Masters is a great tournament, maybe the greatest, but CBS is woefully behind in technology, coverage, announcers. The Golf Channel and LIV have them beat. They friggin' banned McCord (bikini wax) and DAvid Feherty because they weren't willing to toe the line on a PC broadcast and commentary.

I hope Bennett or Phil wins to wake up the nappers.
clobby
AG
You can watch every shot on their app.
gigemrangers
AG
MAROON said:

That's a bit hyperbolic. Im surprised anyone who has been on TexAgs more than one football season would agree with you.
Bondag
AG
I think the app is clunky. Shots on one hole would show up before shots on the previous one.

But you are able to see every shot eventually.
MAROON
AG
Literally every point he tried to make was incorrect …..but yes game day threads bring out a special level of stupidity
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
aggiehawg
AG
clobby said:

You can watch every shot on their app.
That's what I understand. As to TV coverage, Augusta only charges 25 million for foreign rights but zero for domestic TV broadcast rights, meaning they retain complete control. In part to bolster that app, I'd suspect.
DannyDuberstein
AG
CBS is broadcasting starting at 7:30am. Basically a 90 minute break between rounds midday, then back to final round coverage
98Ag99Grad
AG
Good. Network coverage gives us the leaders and will switch to show long birdie putts or good shots elsewhere on the course.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
DukeMu said:

MAROON said:

The Masters is a great tournament, maybe the greatest, but CBS is woefully behind in technology, coverage, announcers. The Golf Channel and LIV have them beat. They friggin' banned McCord (bikini wax) and DAvid Feherty because they weren't willing to toe the line on a PC broadcast and commentary.

LIV is great if you like a game show combined with TopGolf.
snowaggie
DannyDuberstein said:

CBS is broadcasting starting at 7:30am. Basically a 90 minute break between rounds midday, then back to final round coverage
CBS as in actual television broadcast? I'm an old...
DannyDuberstein
AG
snowaggie said:

DannyDuberstein said:

CBS as in actual television broadcast? I'm an old...

Yes
_lefraud_
AG
I'm 36. I've watched the Masters religiously since 2000 and can't recall one tournament where I didn't see coverage for all 18 holes either online or on tv.
DannyDuberstein
AG
_lefraud_ said:

I'm 36. I've watched the Masters religiously since 2000 and can't recall one tournament where I didn't see coverage for all 18 holes either online or on tv.

Yeah, biching about the Masters coverage even though they've developed the greatest app in sports that a monkey can figure out. A tradition unlike any other
aginlakeway
AG
DukeMu said:

MAROON said:

How does The Golf Channel have them beat, as far as technology and coverage and announcers?
lazuras_dc
AG
What time do they start tomorrow? Going to try and finish rd3 then play round4?
DannyDuberstein
AG
DannyDuberstein
AG
Law Hall 69-72
AG
I guess you don't realize that the Golf Channel doesn't have their own equipment. They use the equipment of whichever network is also covering the tournament.

Also, my son-in-law is over the technical end of the telecasts as well as technology development for CBS Sports and has won three Emmy Awards for innovation at the Masters over the last few years, so not everybody agrees with you. But, I'll be sure and text him tonight and let him know that DueMu isn't satisfied, so tomorrow will be better I'm sure.
45-70Ag
aginlakeway
AG
Law Hall 69-72 said:

I guess you don't realize that the Golf Channel doesn't have their own equipment. They use the equipment of whichever network is also covering the tournament.

Also, my son-in-law is over the technical end of the telecasts as well as technology development for CBS Sports and has won three Emmy Awards for innovation at the Masters over the last few years, so not everybody agrees with you. But, I'll be sure and text him tonight and let him know that DueMu isn't satisfied, so tomorrow will be better I'm sure.

Great post.

I was wondering if someone else was going to address his ridiculous statement. Because as a former Golf Channel employee, what do I know about broadcasting golf on TV.
EKUAg
AG
aginlakeway said:

Law Hall 69-72 said:

Great post.

I was wondering if someone else was going to address his ridiculous statement. Because as a former Golf Channel employee, what do I know about broadcasting golf on TV.

Honest question. Am I right in thinking all the LPGA coverage uses NBC Sports equipment since Golf Channel has been rolled into NBC Sports?
zgolfz85
AG
DukeMu said:

Ha this dude ripped Jim nantz, easily top 5 best sports voice and commentator of all time. Even if your other points had been valid, you'd lose everyone with that single insanely terrible take. And your other points were trash too as a bonus.
aginlakeway
AG
EKUAg said:

aginlakeway said:

Law Hall 69-72 said:

Great post.

Honest question. Am I right in thinking all the LPGA coverage uses NBC Sports equipment since Golf Channel has been rolled into NBC Sports?

Correct. Or rented from 3rd parties.
AgLA06
AG
The Masters released a FAQ about what happens if an Amateur wins.

https://www.masters.com/en_US/news/articles/2023-04-08/2023-04-08_what_happens_if_an_amateur_wins_the_masters.html
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

The second-place finisher gets the winner's prize money and it continues from there.
So the second place guy gets his money and the first place's guy money?

Not well worded there.
Bondag
AG
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

The second-place finisher gets the winner's prize money and it continues from there.
So the second place guy gets his money and the first place's guy money?

Not well worded there.

You must be a lawyer.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.