Houston Open

19,346 Views | 203 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by CFTXAG10
AustinCountyAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
MAROON said:

friend played in pro-am yesterday. Said the two pros he played with were not fans of the course - greens are rock hard and too severe. A lot of talk about how they are unfair because they wont hold approach shots. Pros thought they were running 12.5 on the stimpmeter.

"unfair" ,that pisses me off when people say that about tournaments. Everyone is playing the same course.

Makes me think of when Phil hit his moving putt at Shinnecock.....

Could it be difficult, different from normal green set ups? Sure....but don't call it unfair. Like JJ said above, they knew greens would be rock hard when they signed up
AustinCountyAg
not to mention Augusta's greens next week will be hard as a rock too. I think that might be the idea....
mazag08
AG
MAROON said:

friend played in pro-am yesterday. Said the two pros he played with were not fans of the course - greens are rock hard and too severe. A lot of talk about how they are unfair because they wont hold approach shots. Pros thought they were running 12.5 on the stimpmeter.

Cry me a river. These guys play in perfect conditions 99% of the time. Learn to play through adversity. Welcome to what the rest of us deal with every weekend.
E
AG
mazag08 said:

MAROON said:

Cry me a river. These guys play in perfect conditions 99% of the time. Learn to play through adversity. Welcome to what the rest of us deal with every weekend.
This. I don't feel bad for them one bit.

Waaaaaaa this Par 5 won't hold my 6 iron second shot and I have to have a long eagle putt...
1872walker
MAROON said:

That is literally Doak's goal for the course. With Koepka's input, he knew that greens are the only defense to not only this course, but to the length of the pro game.

Love to see PGA tours whine.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Gig-Em2003 said:

andrago94 said:

Sam Ryder made 10 on the short Par 4 13th.
Dude was pin high in 2.

Hole high off the green is the worst possible spot on that hole
Green is a narrow table top falling off in all directions
Need to be short if you aren't going to drive it
AustinCountyAg
I noticed Spieth currently on top of the leaderboard. No telling what he will do the rest of the week, but this course could be the perfect set up for him going into Augusta. Hard, fast undulating greens....his favorite
The Milkman
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

I noticed Spieth currently on top of the leaderboard. No telling what he will do the rest of the week, but this course could be the perfect set up for him going into Augusta. Hard, fast undulating greens....his favorite
Considering he was nearly the worst on tour at hitting greens last few years I dont think he'd be licking his chops. But played well so far
The Milkman
AG
MAROON said:

God forbid they come up with more creative ways to get it close to the hole instead of just dart board target practice.
jja79
AG
Grayson Murray is 13 over after 11. He made 8 on a 110 yard par 3.
mazag08
AG
jja79 said:

Grayson Murray is 13 over after 11. He made 8 on a 110 yard par 3.
That Par 3 is brutal if you miss the green.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
You better bring your short game if you miss these greens. Everything runs off and is tightly mown
CFTXAG10
AG
Parked over by 9 green for a bit to catch Koepka, Spieth, Finau, and Serge....

Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Speith just doubled 15
I'm telling you that hole is a nightmare even tho it's only 110-125ish
AustinCountyAg
whats the food/drink situation like with the colored tents? Whats a beer costing?
AledoAg86
AG
Jealous as heck that I'm stuck in an office 265 miles away and not there in person. I had planned to be on-site as a spectator (all week) a year ago.

I always loved playing Memorial Park. I hope all of you at the tournament have a great time!
MAROON
AG
the views of downtown when they pan out the camera is just a great advertisement for Houston
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
Marauder Blue 6
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

whats the food/drink situation like with the colored tents? Whats a beer costing?

Beers are $6-8. Food is burgers, hot dogs, chicken tenders, tacos, and fries. Food is about as good as you'd expect for it being free.
htxag09
AG
I live less than a mile from the course. It appears one of the pros is staying on my street. Noticed a Lexus houston open courtesy vehicle there this am. May have to do some creeping to see who it is.

We used to rent our house on Airbnb. Should've put it back up for this week.
AustinCountyAg
so can I sell my parking pass and park in your driveway?
Marauder Blue 6
AG
There are plenty of lubed up *******s yelling at tee shots.
htxag09
AG
Sure. If you don't mind walking.

I just ran to memorial park and lots of no parking signs in the camp Logan neighborhood. Street parking east of Washington/wescott seems to be fair game, though.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Course is holding its own from a score perspective

A lot of doubles or worse to be had out there
1208HawkTree
AG
New greens are always hard as a rock for a year plus. All greens are hard as a rock this time of year if we haven't had a wet cold front come through for a week or so.
CFTXAG10
AG
DJ just finished his round and flexed on this guy asking for a golf ball. Guy was wearing a pretty nice watch and DJ pointed at his own and said "Mine is nicer" - got a good laugh from the gallery
G-Town Cracker
AG
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
There were quite a few pros who looked very foolish around the greens

Just imagine if the played that in June with some thick rough
Ag_07
AG
So overall nothing but good things to say. Course was setup nice and played tough. Glad to see guys didn't run a train through it and it actually challenged them.

Tourney/spectator wise pretty good. Liked the small tourney feel with minimal grand stands and huge tents and less sponsors shoving things on your face everywhere. You get a very minor league ballpark feel and that's a good thing.

Critique wise I'd say that they need more beer stations and they need to spread out the complimentary tents. Our tent was on 17 but if you want to go check out the front nine that's a long walk back to grab a bite or a bottle of water.

Other than that really no other complaints. Everything was running smoothly and we had a great time.
C ROC N
Photo gallery Round 1 Houston Open

98Ag99Grad
AG
what's the deal with this short par 3 guys are making big numbers on? when the greens soften some will it be easier?
BayAg_14
Beautiful day for golf. Favorite hole to watch was 15. Lots of guys struggled with it for such a short par 3.
mazag08
AG
98Ag99Grad said:

what's the deal with this short par 3 guys are making big numbers on? when the greens soften some will it be easier?

It's a tiny table top green. Even if you hit it, it sometimes rolls off and down the hill. It's an incredibly hard green to hit and hold. There is no chipping off the green. Flop shot won't work. You either pitch up far from the hole, or you putt and hope for the best.
Ag_07
AG
98Ag99Grad said:

It's a diabolical little par 3. Long but crazy narrow table top green with some tough pin placement options.

It's short but man it's hard.

Same can be said about the par 4 13th.
Ag_07
AG
Couple tips for anyone going out there this weekend.

15 is a really fun hole to watch but the best spot is across the creek between 15 green and 16 tee. Your up high and can see the hole and will be able to see balls that fall off towards the water. From the other side your closer but can't see much.

Our favorite spot was between #3 tee and #7 green right along the ropes of #3 tee. From there you can see tee shots and putts on #2, tee shots on #3, and tee shots and putts on #7. Great spot for golf and there's a beer tent and restroom right there.

There's a huge bottleneck going from #9 to #10 so of you following a good group you'll want to maybe bolt a little early from #9 because it takes a while to get through the backup.
Marauder Blue 6
AG
Ag_07 said:

Critique wise I'd say that they need more beer stations and they need to spread out the complimentary tents. Our tent was on 17 but if you want to go check out the front nine that's a long walk back to grab a bite or a bottle of water.

Definitely agree on more tents. Ours was next to the main entrance behind #10 green. That's a long way from the front 9.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.