Houston Open

19,329 Views | 203 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by CFTXAG10
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's tourney week!

Anyone know how transportation other than parking will work?

Like is there going to be a designated Uber drop off location? Are there shuttles at all?
ajcastil18
https://houstonopengolf.com/spectators/maps-and-parking/parking-map

From the Houston Open site, there is designated ride share drop off and shuttle service from arboretum parking site.
CFTXAG10
AG
No approaching players this year but got to watch Koepka and DJ and Hovland closely on the range and putting green today. A lot of guys electing to practice in shorts. Weather is perfect.
Gig-Em2003
AG
Do you have to have tickets to go out there tomorrow and Wednesday? Even in practice areas?
CFTXAG10
AG
Gig-Em2003 said:

Do you have to have tickets to go out there tomorrow and Wednesday? Even in practice areas?

Ticketed entry doesn't start until Thursday. They just have volunteers and VIP guests out here today for a pro-am. Tomorrow is practice only with a special "pro-am" at River Oaks. Then back out here Wednesday for another pro-am before Thursday's first round.

Lots of builds still going on in spectator areas. There are picnic tables outside the food/beverage pickup areas and stand up bars to eat at. Just FYI. I'll try and snag a few more pics when we wrap up play here in a bit.
Gig-Em2003
AG
I'm going Friday. Pumped
CFTXAG10
AG
Out of the pool of pros taking swings yesterday Hovland was probably the most fun to watch. For being in his early 20's this kid is impressive.
Obi Wan Ginobili
Can someone please get the big boy in blue some new pants? Looks likes hes trying to pack it in to his 8th grade Easter outfit.
E
AG
Anyone hitting it over the net??
AustinCountyAg
are they going to allow people to get close to the tee boxes like normal, or are people just going to be allowed to stand off the fairway and greens?
CFTXAG10
AG
E said:

Anyone hitting it over the net??
If they were trying to, I think they easily could. Most were just chasing flags and hitting irons
BayAg_14
When do tee times come out for Thursday?
CFTXAG10
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

are they going to allow people to get close to the tee boxes like normal, or are people just going to be allowed to stand off the fairway and greens?
The ropes do not look any different than normal so far. I have not heard of any restrictions in terms of "hugging the line." This is the first event with fans, so it is all a little new. The tee boxes are roped off, but the proximity is still the same as GCoH/Redstone. I imagine our security team would not care as long as you are masked up.
Dr.Pepper7
AG
Are they requiring masks at all times on the grounds? How strict will it be if you're posted up fairway / greenside with no one around you?
Gig-Em2003
AG
Checking temperatures and brief questionnaire before entering grounds.

Must wear a mask at all times unless eating/drinking.

Must maintain 6' distance from everyone not in your party.

No info yet on where the ropes will be holding spectators back, but I bet we'll be able to get close enough to the action. With only 2,000 fans per day, that's just over 100 per hole. Should be great sightlines.
ElCheAg
AG

SOLD
AustinCountyAg
is their a merchandise tent?
JCA1
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

Don't know if there will be a tent, but virtually everything in the pro shop right now is tourney gear. I suspect you'll be able to get it there at basically anytime.
ajcastil18
The map has a merch tent right by the entrance closest to #10
CFTXAG10
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

Yes, the merch tent will be open starting Thursday. That had to be put together last minute due to the allotment of fans. Will be closer to the main entrance.
CFTXAG10
AG
Gig-Em2003 said:

No info yet on where the ropes will be holding spectators back, but I bet we'll be able to get close enough to the action. With only 2,000 fans per day, that's just over 100 per hole. Should be great sightlines.

This. The vibe I get from being out here is that you will only be harassed about it if you are being a jacka**. If you are eating or drinking or quite a ways from others I doubt it will be an issue.

Again, on the rope lines the way I saw it setup out there yesterday and today it is no different than in years past. That doesn't mean they won't move them a bit if need be. Watched some of the pro-am play yesterday and you can definitely feel like you are right up in the action.

Important to remember this is the first tourney with fans, but I think everyone is going to have a damn good time. The weather for a second consecutive day is perfect.

edit to add: looks like at least one (maybe more) of the days will consist of a Hou Open branded mask giveaway when you enter. That was another late add since we have fans (gate giveaways every day). The Astros are sending out their team to help with that aspect of the tourney.
CFTXAG10
AG
BayAg_14 said:

When do tee times come out for Thursday?

Pairings are up on pgatour.com
HouAggie
AG
Gig-Em2003 said:

You mean 2000 watching one group. Maybe 1000 each watching two groups...
CFTXAG10
AG
Some of the builds along 18 and practice greens. Not as grandiose as in years past but nice to see plenty of areas to park your butt, grab a bite, and watch some golf. Will try to snag some tee boxes later.

Gig-Em2003
AG
How do course conditions look? Did they overseed the course like they do at GCOH?
CFTXAG10
AG
To me they look fine. Greens are playing fast today.
Pignorant
AG
Course is playing long.

At a Par 70, I don't think anyone gets to -10 this week.
Marauder Blue 6
AG
-10 will fall tomorrow
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
The course really isn't that long
And there are three par5's in that 70
Two of which are easily reachable for the pros.
The 8th is probably reachable as well for longer hitters.

Agree -10 will fall tomorrow
andrago94
AG
Sam Ryder made 10 on the short Par 4 13th.
The Milkman
AG
How is the range set up? Where are they hitting from and towards?
JCA1
AG
andrago94 said:

Hey! I only shot an 8 on that hole!
Gig-Em2003
AG
andrago94 said:

Dude was pin high in 2.
MAROON
AG
friend played in pro-am yesterday. Said the two pros he played with were not fans of the course - greens are rock hard and too severe. A lot of talk about how they are unfair because they wont hold approach shots. Pros thought they were running 12.5 on the stimpmeter.

What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
jja79
AG
Greens won't hold until they're 2 or 3 years old. They knew this when they signed up.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.