Houston Open

19,188 Views | 203 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by CFTXAG10
AustinCountyAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So I have to say wife and I enjoyed it today. Limited crowds for a Saturday was great. It felt like a Thursday morning to me. Also we lucked out on parking. Literally we had the closest parking spot to the main gate that you could possibly have. Spoiled on that part.

Disappointed in the merchandise. I wanted a new Peter Millar polo and all they had were XXL sizes basically. But understandable considering how last minute everything was.

You could tell the players enjoyed the fans. Only thing that was missing was the energy. Like my wife said in years past with the grand stands and party atmosphere on some of the par 3's everything just seemed more exciting. But 2020. Oh well. Just happy we had pga tour golf in Houston again.
AustinCountyAg
Ag 07 nailed it too. That spot on #2 green, 3 tee box, 7 green etc is a great spot to post up. Green complexes are insane
cab559
AG
Longshot here, but anyone know if you can snag tickets for today on the secondary market? Simple google search didn't yield any.
htxag09
AG
Appears 1 is left on on stub hub for $200
cab559
AG
Thx saw that, I need at least 2.
BayAg_14
Heck of a first win for the kid when you got big names chasing you.
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
I'll type this real slow so you understand.

Euro Tour golf 4.5 hours on Thursday and Friday

American PGA tour golf 3.0 hours on Thursday and Friday

I stand by my statement that the coverage of the Houston Open was abysmal on Thursday and Friday.

Ortiz played awesome today.
htxag09
AG
Wasn't coverage only 3 hours Saturday and Sunday as well?
CFTXAG10
AG
Well DJ had every opportunity down the stretch. Hideki too. Happy for Ortiz though. Love that it wasn't just another win like it would've been for DJ. Long after the patrons left Carlos was still emotional. Cool moment in the parking lot before Crane left the tourney he embraced Ortiz and his wife and passed along his personal information in case Ortiz ever needed anything. Crane was around A LOT this week. Can tell he really wants this thing to succeed!
CFTXAG10
AG
Also, there are already plans underway to re-shape and remodel some of the holes for next year. For example, 9 green is getting a facelift. The slope was way too steep all week. Plan is to make it a little flatter.
E
AG
Hope they give 8 a face lift
jja79
AG
You don't need to type slow. It's pretty typical for European Tour golf to be live both before and after Morning Drive so 4.5 hours isn't unusual. It's also not unusual for regular, fall season tournaments to get 3 hours live on Thursday and Friday. If you wanted to watch more they have a subscription service.
Rock Ag
AG
Is there a place to buy any merchandise online? I'm not seeing it anywhere
Mr.Bond
AG
Merchandise was very limited per the manager running it because they weren't sure if fans were going to be allowed. I will say the prices were higher than giraffe ***** though.

He said all items will be available in pro shop throughout the year
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

CFTXAG10
AG
Mr.Bond said:

Merchandise was very limited per the manager running it because they weren't sure if fans were going to be allowed. I will say the prices were higher than giraffe ***** though.

This is correct. The merch tent was a last minute build once the announcement of fans was made. They also didn't have enough lead time to order extra merchandise, which turned out okay because of the limited tent space. Like Bond mentioned it will be available in the pro shop, and also at Minute Maid Park throughout the year. The online point is a good question though. Will look into it.
htxag09
AG
Mr.Bond said:

This should shock nobody. The houston open shop at Minute Maid had golf polos starting at like $70.
CFTXAG10
AG
htxag09 said:

Mr.Bond said:

This should shock nobody. The houston open shop at Minute Maid had golf polos starting at like $70.
Prices are high. Pro tip: If you have the time to commit at least 2 days during the week I highly recommend you pick a committee and volunteer next year. You have to pay $70 for the "volunteer package" but it includes a Houston Open polo, pullover, and hat. Last year the polo was navy blue and pullover was grey. This year the polo was grey and the pullover was red. They had to eliminate passes and weeklong entry, but that will likely come back as part of the package "post-Covid". Meaning you will get 4 any day passes for friends/family/etc., and entry into the tournament all week (even on days you aren't scheduled). Look for registration to open up early next year.
andrago94
AG
Went yesterday. Finish was pretty cool. Watched DJ birdie 15. Then waited and followed the Ortiz group in. Could see Hideki across the way birdie 17 while we were walking down 16 (Do all pro golfers walk really fast?). Ortiz's shot into 16 was incredibly clutch. While watching Ortiz put on 16, heard a cheer for DJ's approach on 17. Everyone was hitting iron off tee on 17, nobody ever challenged the water trying to hit it way down there, not sure this is what they wanted from the hole. It was nice to see the big names at the finish and great to see a young player win his first!
AustinCountyAg
$70 for a peter millar polo is worth it to me. Well made and last a long time. to your point though, no way in hell am I paying $70 for a levelwear or whatever the hell brand they are going with now.
jja79
AG
$70 for a golf shirt? I need a better job.
Mr.Bond
AG
Most Polos that I saw were $80 and above. There was a hat I wanted that was $50 non fitted which is shocking to me. Some of the smaller stuff like ball markers and towels were about what you would expect from a PGA Tour event
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Marauder Blue 6
AG
If you think $80 is expensive, you'd **** yourself at the Masters. I looked at a Fairway & Greene polo with Houston Open embroidered logo last week and it was $85. I didn't find that unreasonable. For short notice, I found the selection to be good.
Ag_07
AG
Yeah not sure why the complaining about merch prices. It's always jacked up and that goes for any sporting event ever. Besides nice golf shirts run about $70.

With that said I bought a pretty sweet hat for $30 and thought that was reasonable.
CFTXAG10
AG
And fwiw the nice Levelwear polos with the embroidered Hou Open logo are super comfortable!
Mr.Bond
AG
Marauder Blue 6 said:

If you think $80 is expensive, you'd **** yourself at the Masters. I looked at a Fairway & Greene polo with Houston Open embroidered logo last week and it was $85. I didn't find that unreasonable. For short notice, I found the selection to be good.

I've been to the masters.... We cannot compare Augusta to the Houston open.... Especially in quality. Masters polos are around 85 and phenomenal material

Duckhook
AG
Mr.Bond said:

Marauder Blue 6 said:

I've been to the masters.... We cannot compare Augusta to the Houston open.... Especially in quality. Masters polos are around 85 and phenomenal material

Yeah, the one time I went to the Masters I thought merchandise prices were very fair. They could have charged more for the shirts and hats that I bought and I still would have paid it. Same with food/beverage prices. They're certainly not taking the opportunity to fleece the patrons.
Txroper
AG
Carlos Ortiz is my best friends son in law. Have gotten to play with him a couple of times. Carlos's wife Haley grew up in College Station. Robert and I are already planning our trip to the Masters in 2021.
agsalaska
AG
Ortiz seems like a great winner.

Wish I would have watched more of it. I love Memorial Park. I was my home course 150 or so years ago.
JCA1
AG
Marauder Blue 6 said:

I presume you're looking at prices on the secondary market. Prices at the tournament are basically what the same thing would cost without the masters logo. A Peter Millar masters polo is about the same price as any Peter millar polo.
CFTXAG10
AG
In store today only

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.