Gary Patterson

12,649 Views | 121 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Squadron7
Ronnie Mund
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Saban has 0 of those awards. So Patterson>Saban.

Is South Platte a woman?
GAC06
AG
Guys, when you factor in their time at a mid major, Charlie Strong and Tom Herman both did pretty well at Texas.

We have to give Patterson credit for his time in the WAC and MWest because Fisher "almost" was a coach at a mid major? Are you high? In what world does that make even the slightest bit of sense?

The entire point of a coach coaching at a small school/mid major conference is to make it to a real conference and compete with the big boys. Of course that's not very flattering for Patterson, even considering the lack of competition in the Big12 so you talk about his mid major record and coaching awards instead of wins, conference championships and oh yeah... national championships.
Hood
AG
Quote:

Did you consider how many AFCA National Coach of the Year awards both have won? Patterson has 2 and is one of only five coaches in the last 60 years with multiple COY awards, which is given by his peers. There are a number of one hit wonders on that list. To get it twice is a really big deal. Bear, Paterno, Royal, Patterson and McKay. That's good company. Jimbo currently has 0.

Yes, of course I count GP's time pre-Big XII. He has won 11 games in 9 of 18 years. Before you bash GP's time as a group of 5 head coach, remember that Jimbo accepted the HC position at UAB before it was vetoed. Fortune smiled on him and he has had an excellent run as OC and HC at FSU.

These posts will obviously age . . . we will revisit in 5 years!
WE GET IT, GARY. YOU'RE PROUD OF YOUR ACCOMPLISHMENTS AND DON'T WANT ANY STOOPID AGGGYS TALKING DOWN ABOUT IT. GOOD LUCK AGAINST OHIO STATE.
AgGrad99
AG
Doesnt matter what you think of A&M coaches, or any other coach. Doesnt matter if you think Patterson is great.

Fact remains that Patterson was actively ducking tough competition, because he was scared playing a real OOC team would prevent him from winning an MNC. He's never sniffed one anyway, so in hindsight, it didnt really matter...but it does show what chicken little's they are.
Gunny456
AG
Right....a lot of his $$$$ is interest in stock in some companies that are owned/CEO by TCU big time alums. If he leaves he looses that income supposedly.
Macarthur
AgGrad99 said:

Doesnt matter what you think of A&M coaches, or any other coach. Doesnt matter if you think Patterson is great.

Fact remains that Patterson was actively ducking tough competition, because he was scared playing a real OOC team would prevent him from winning an MNC. He's never sniffed one anyway, so in hindsight, it didnt really matter...but it does show what chicken little's they are.
Huh? Give me a break.
BohunkAg
AG
Ronnie Mund said:

Is South Platte a woman?
I'm telling you...he/she is worse. They're a Politics board poster.
AggieBand2004
AG
Let this sink in... it appears that, given the choice, South Platte would choose Patterson over Fisher as head coach of his favorite team.

You can't coach that kind of stupid. It just comes naturally.
aggiehawg
AG
Ronnie Mund said:

Is South Platte a woman?
Have no idea about South Platte but what do you have against women who love college football?
stick93
AG
Nothing against women who love college football. It's just difficult to truly grasp it with the view from the kitchen.
88jrt06
AG
Gary "Who could be fatter, son".
HOF....the one in Waco.
Squadron7
AG
Flexbone said:

Quote:

51-27

Same as Sumlin's record...in the SEC West.

Holy crap.

I actually had to look this up because I didn't believe it.

Since 2012 (the year TCU came to the Big 12 and A&M started playing in the SEC) Patterson and Sumlin both have 51 wins.

And Patterson has one more loss (27) than Sumlin (26).

I'd have lost money betting blind on that.

aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

Since 2012 (the year TCU came to the Big 12 and A&M started playing in the SEC) Patterson and Sumlin both have 51 wins.

And that's exactly why Patterson won't ever leave TCU. They wouldn't fire him with that record.
GAC06
AG
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

And that's exactly why Patterson won't ever leave TCU. They wouldn't fire him with that record.

Exactly. Even with the current state of the Big12, TCU is perfectly willing to take a few mediocre or even losing seasons as long as he has up years. That record would have gotten him fired here after a few years, even if he was able to get the same outcome in the much tougher conference.
AnScAggie
AG
Has any head coach made the move from the BDF to another power 5 conference and been successful? Serious question. Muschamp looked like he was going to be the first edition of Kirby Smart when he left tu for Florida, that didn't work out so well and I doubt he'll be a whole lot more successful at wUSC. Sumlin is not doing anything for Arizona either. I do realize Muschamp was a DC but he was HC in waiting at tu.
Macarthur
GAC06 said:

aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Exactly. Even with the current state of the Big12, TCU is perfectly willing to take a few mediocre or even losing seasons as long as he has up years. That record would have gotten him fired here after a few years, even if he was able to get the same outcome in the much tougher conference.

Disagree. Let's not forget there is a conf championship in there and several big bowl wins. Sumlinbiant anywhere close to the coach Patterson is.

The WL record for Patterson is a bit deceiving as he had two seasons when he had awful QB meltdown situations. To try and draw an equivalency to sumlin being as good as Patterson based on record is every bit as dumb as you are bashing platte for the fisher comments.
GAC06
AG
Sumlin got fired largely because of his QB meltdown. In the last six seasons Patterson lost 6+ games three times and won 11+ 3 times. Back to back 6 loss seasons absolutely would have gotten Sumlin fired.

Also, it's an apples to oranges comparison because Patterson's wins and losses are against vastly inferior competition.
GAC06
AG
Also I'm not making any equivalency argument IRT Sumlin abd Patterson. I said accurately that Patterson would have been fired by now if he had come to A&M. It's smart that he won't leave TCU.
aggiehawg
AG
Macarthur said:

GAC06 said:

aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Disagree. Let's not forget there is a conf championship in there and several big bowl wins. Sumlinbiant anywhere close to the coach Patterson is.

The WL record for Patterson is a bit deceiving as he had two seasons when he had awful QB meltdown situations. To try and draw an equivalency to sumlin being as good as Patterson based on record is every bit as dumb as you are bashing platte for the fisher comments.
I'm confused. Aren't you the big Baylor/Briles defender? Apologies in advance if I have mistaken you for another poster.
Macarthur
No. Can't stand Baylor. I have family that are frogs so I've spent a decent amount of time there.
H_Aggie
MacArthur is not only stupid but also a lib .
Macarthur
Coming from you, that's a compliment
aggiehawg
AG
Macarthur said:

No. Can't stand Baylor. I have family that are frogs so I've spent a decent amount of time there.
My apologies, again. I stand corrected.
stick93
AG
H_Aggie said:

Go back to the echo chamber then. Problem solved for all of us.
AggieBand2004
AG
H_Aggie said:

That's like saying I'm fat but also overweight
Squadron7
AG
Since when did we stop calling TCU "Purple Baylor"?
HTownAg98
When Baylol decided to get all rapey.
Squadron7
AG
HTownAg98 said:

When Baylol decided to get all rapey.

Fair enough.
AgGrad99
AG

Quote:

Huh? Give me a break.

The heck are you talking about?

He specifically asked to get out of that matchup.
Macarthur

Quote:

He specifically asked to get out of that matchup.

Quote:

When Del Conte approached Patterson about the series, the coach said, "So you don't want me to win a national championship?"

As a school that was then set to join the Big East, he also needed four non-conference games per year; a home-and-home with Ohio State fit.

Patterson agreed to it because, as a member of a non Power 5 conference, he knew a win, or even a close finish, could help his team more than his conference schedule that would include Syracuse, Pitt, etc.

Where did he say he asked specifically to get out?

As I said in an earlier post, that quote of his could have been meant any number of ways given context. I could see any number of coaches making that sort of statement and being half way serious and half way joking. Two sentences later he agreed to the game.

I think you are twisting that part of the story to him ducking and I didn't read it that way at all. I read it as he thinks that you need to be really strategic with your non-conference scheduling and there's not a coach in America that would disagree with that.

Patterson, prior to the Big 12, was well known for wanting to play any power school any time any where. I think now that he's in a power 5, he simply thinks they need to be smart about scheduling.
AgGrad99
AG

Quote:

As I said in an earlier post, that quote of his could have been meant any number of ways given context.
No. No it couldnt have.

Hence the story. From the article:

Quote:

Patterson consistently finds middle tier Power 5 teams to play, and TCU wins.
This is the whole point. He schedules games he can win against mediocre teams, and doesnt want to compete with the big boys.
Macarthur
AgGrad99 said:

Quote:

As I said in an earlier post, that quote of his could have been meant any number of ways given context.
No. No it couldnt have.

Quote:

This is the whole point. He schedules games he can win against mediocre teams, and doesnt want to compete with the big boys.

So the LSU game?

You're cherry picking parts of the article and reading into it.

So I guess now that because a reporter writes something like this, we now are supposed to believe it because it's written with a slight slant against a team that I don't care for. I wonder what the reaction would be if it were written about my team?

Right after his quote, it specifically says he agreed that the game was needed.

Patterson has shown his entire career that he can compete w the big boys so that's just a silly position.
CoachLB
Macarthur said:

AgGrad99 said:

Quote:

No. No it couldnt have.

Quote:

So the LSU game?

You're cherry picking parts of the article and reading into it.

So I guess now that because a reporter writes something like this, we now are supposed to believe it because it's written with a slight slant against a team that I don't care for. I wonder what the reaction would be if it were written about my team?

Right after his quote, it specifically says he agreed that the game was needed.

Patterson has shown his entire career that he can compete w the big boys so that's just a silly position.
Like Herman, Patterson has proven he can compete with the big boys with a lot of time to prepare like in bowl games. If he played Bama, LSU, Auburn etc in one season well that is just a unproven guess.
GAC06
AG
TCU's non conference P5 opponents since Patterson took over:

Nebraska
Northwestern
Vanderbilt
Arizona
Northwestern
Texas Tech
Oklahoma
Baylor
Texas Tech
Baylor
Texas
Stanford
Stanford
Oklahoma
Virginia
Clemson
Oregon State
Baylor
Baylor

In Big12

Virginia
LSU
Minnesota
Minnesota
Arkansas
Arkansas
Ohio State

Future (one per year)

Purdue
California
California
Colorado
Colorado
Stanford
North Carolina
North Carolina
Stanford
Duke
Duke

Before the Big12, they started off very weak then started scheduling one or two P5 teams most years and included some tough match ups. Of course their Rose Bowl season had a cupcake schedule.

Their future schedule seems to follow Patterson's "so you don't want a national championship" response a lot more than your "anyone anywhere anytime" claim.

Bottlehead90
AG
Patterson is a disciple of Bill Snyder who always schedules cupcakes

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.