Gary Patterson

12,586 Views | 121 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Squadron7
BohunkAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mac-engel/article218183355.html

His AD wanted him to play ONE tough regular season game. Recall they were in the Mountain West at this point.

Quote:

Former TCU director of athletics Chris Del Conte's brilliant landing of a home-and-home series with Ohio State was agreed to in the spring of 2011, when the school thought it was going to The Big East.

Not long after TCU won the Rose Bowl, he and some Ohio State administrators exchanged some playful trash talk, but it turned serious when he said, "Why don't we get your boys to come down and play us and our boys will come up and play you?"

That Del Conte was able to convince Ohio State to leave Ohio to play a non-conference game in a stadium that seats less than 50,000 demonstrates the man's ability to sell; he could sell crack to a crack dealer.

Del Conte arranged this home-and-home because the game was good for TCU's brand, and it would be a guaranteed sellout. A return date would also give TCU fans a chance to watch their team play at one of the sport's special venues.

At the time the game was scheduled, Ohio State was coached by interim Luke Fickell, who was the man between the Jim Tressel and Urban Meyer eras.

When Del Conte approached Patterson about the series, the coach said, "So you don't want me to win a national championship?"
Patterson would fall on his ass at a big school.
BohunkAg
AG
Quote:

Patterson is the Floyd Mayweather of scheduling. The former welterweight boxing champion Mayweather, who never lost in his pro career, was maddeningly, and brilliantly, selective in selecting opponents.

Few coaches can assemble a non-conference schedule as well as GP. Patterson consistently finds middle tier Power 5 teams to play, and TCU wins.

We are talking Vanderbilt, Arizona, Northwestern, Oregon State, Virginia, Minnesota, Arkansas, etc.
Muy
AG
"To be the best, you have to avoid the best" - BDF
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

When Del Conte approached Patterson about the series, the coach said, "So you don't want me to win a national championship?"
And that attitude right there fits perfectly with the cowards of the Big XII. Always wanted the easiest path under the BCS regime with automatic bids.

The same people clamoring for expansion of the play-offs with auto bids to the conference champions.
MyComputerCareer
And triggered Mac is still obsessed with TAMU.
Wildcat
AG
OSU is still without their head coach, TCU is ranked 15 in the country, and is a 13+ point home dog. Think about that.

It's time to stop calling OU and its collection of mid-majors a power 5 conference.

aggiehawg
AG
Wildcat said:

OSU is still without their head coach, TCU is ranked 15 in the country, and is a 13+ point home dog. Think about that.

It's time to stop calling OU and its collection of mid-majors a power 5 conference.

Actually, no they aren't. Meyer just won't be on the sidelines for the game. He's already back doing game prep and practices. So he has the game plan down and has scripted the plays for interim HC Ryan Day.
BohunkAg
AG
This is why I laugh when TCU likes to throw their 2010 Rose Bowl season in everyone's faces. Those idiots played exactly one team all year. Wisconsin. In the meaningless Rose Bowl.

During the regular season, they played exactly no one. Sure, Utah was ranked high when they played, but take a look at Utah's schedule that year. They played a horrendous schedule too. The Frogs damn near got beat by a 5-7 Oregon State team, which was the only decent game ol FUPA dared schedule that year.
Macarthur
I think there might be a lot of context not translating here. First, it was like 7 years ago. It was before TCU was even in the Big 12. I also point to TCU's history of always wanting to schedule tougher teams when they were not in a power conf. Maybe Patterson's point was that while they were not in a power conf, the game made sense, but with them moving towards one, he felt the game was not necessary. A lot has changed since then, and let's also not forget that without being there, it's possible there might have been some sarcasm in what Patterson said and how it was said.

Patterson has earned the benefit of the doubt. While I think Del Conte is pretty good, let's not forget, he really didn't make the big hires at TCU. Patterson set that thing in place a long time ago. Schloss was already there and Dixon is an alum so I don't think he had a huge role in making that happen.

aggiehawg
AG
BohunkAg said:

This is why I laugh when TCU likes to throw their 2010 Rose Bowl season in everyone's faces. Those idiots played exactly one team all year. Wisconsin. In the meaningless Rose Bowl.

During the regular season, they played exactly no one. Sure, Utah was ranked high when they played, but take a look at Utah's schedule that year. They played a horrendous schedule too. The Frogs damn near got beat by a 5-7 Oregon State team, which was the only decent game ol FUPA dared schedule that year.
And the fact that TCU was there was a fluke of the BCS system that year anyway. (Game was actually the 2011 Rose Bowl for official records.)
South Platte
BohunkAg said:

What do you say when TCU throws their 2014 Peach Bowl season in everyone's face? Dude, they have multiple BCS/NY 6 bowl appearances and multiple Top 10 finishes. GP can flat out coach.
BohunkAg
AG
South Platte said:

BohunkAg said:

What do you say when TCU throws their 2014 Peach Bowl season in everyone's face? Dude, they have multiple BCS/NY 6 bowl appearances and multiple Top 10 finishes. GP can flat out coach.
Cold Piss lost 4 of their last 6 games that year. And one of the wins was against Presbyterian. Was stupid they were still ranked so high. TCU's non-conference opponents that year....Samford, Minnesota, and SMU. Womp, womp womp.
BohunkAg
AG
If Patterson was worth a sh-t, he would already be a coach at somewhere that could fill a damn stadium.
South Platte
BohunkAg said:

If Patterson was worth a sh-t, he would already be a coach at somewhere that could fill a damn stadium.
Go pick on somebody else. He's a more accomplished coach than Jimbo.

By the way, you have no idea how much I hate TCU.
BohunkAg
AG
Since they've joined the Big 12, he's 51-27 (65%) and 32-22 (59%) in conference. Pretty damned mediocre if you ask me.
BohunkAg
AG
South Platte said:

BohunkAg said:

You are an idiot.
Macarthur
BohunkAg said:

This might be the dumbest post on this thread.
South Platte
BohunkAg said:

South Platte said:

BohunkAg said:

You are an idiot.
Sometimes coaches get lucky.

BohunkAg
AG
Macarthur said:

BohunkAg said:

This might be the dumbest post on this thread.
Nope, I think dude locked it up with saying that Patterson is a more accomplished coach than Jimbo.
Wildcat
AG
South Platte said:

BohunkAg said:

Dude. There is a national title to consider.

Patterson is right where he needs to be. He's really only got about 3 games a year to worry about. As discussed earlier, scheduling middling teams in P5 conferences has been their game. They play with the big boys this weekend.

That game is being played less than 15 miles from home and I will bet dollars to donuts OSU puts more fans in Jerry World. Hell, there are probably more OSU alums in the metroplex than former frogs.
GAC06
AG
South Platte said:

BohunkAg said:

You're a ****ing idiot
BohunkAg
AG
I just figured out he's a Politics board poster. Makes sense now. I should know better than to argue with one of those. There's a reason why I never go over to that cess pool. It makes this place look like a country club.
88jrt06
AG
South Platte said:

BohunkAg said:

Awwww.....
TwoMarksHand
AG
BohunkAg said:

South Platte said:

BohunkAg said:

You are an idiot.
That trophy is so much better than the vagina they have now.
aggiehawg
AG
BohunkAg said:

Not if he didn't want to be. Why Art Briles was such a perfect fit for Baylor, as well. Big Fish, small pond.

Macarthur
aggiehawg said:

BohunkAg said:

Not if he didn't want to be. Why Art Briles was such a perfect fit for Baylor, as well. Big Fish, small pond.

I find it weird that Patterson does something that many people love which is to stay loyal and build something and take it to new heights that it's never been. He's been a great member of the community and has not chased the next shiny object...Yet, there is vitriol here for him.

I don't get it. I've been told by folks that would prob know that he would have taken the Aggie job back when Sherman was hired, BTW.
GAC06
AG
That would have been a good hire.

But he's not staying at TCU out of loyalty. They pay him well, and not just in salary. He stays because it's in his interest to stay. If he had accepted the A&M offer he likely wouldn't still be here.
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

I find it weird that Patterson does something that many people love which is to stay loyal and build something and take it to new heights that it's never been. He's been a great member of the community and has not chased the next shiny object...Yet, there is vitriol here for him.

I don't get it. I've been told by folks that would prob know that he would have taken the Aggie job back when Sherman was hired, BTW.
I don't have any vitriol towards Patterson. He's been good for TCU and more power to him. He has made the most out of the opportunity to join the ranks of P5 programs. What many fail to grasp here is the huge difference between the old BCS system to the play-off selection committee. Under the BCS, no one was penalized for having a soft schedule. They just had to win. Now, it is quality wins versus quality losses that shape the perception and the rankings.

I call it "The Aids Approach" to rankings. It's not just who you beat/lost to, it's also who they beat/lost to.

FTR, I have my doubts that hiring back-to-back TCU HCs (Fran/Patterson) was all that appealing to BMAs however.

Macarthur
GAC06 said:

That would have been a good hire.

But he's not staying at TCU out of loyalty. They pay him well, and not just in salary. He stays because it's in his interest to stay. If he had accepted the A&M offer he likely wouldn't still be here.
Agree, to an extent. TCU has taken good care of him, but he has had several opporuntities. I would say when you take into consideration what he's done for the school and community, the term loyalty has some merit.
Macarthur
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

I don't have any vitriol towards Patterson. He's been good for TCU and more power to him. He has made the most out of the opportunity to join the ranks of P5 programs. What many fail to grasp here is the huge difference between the old BCS system to the play-off selection committee. Under the BCS, no one was penalized for having a soft schedule. They just had to win. Now, it is quality wins versus quality losses that shape the perception and the rankings.

I call it "The Aids Approach" to rankings. It's not just who you beat/lost to, it's also who they beat/lost to.

FTR, I have my doubts that hiring back-to-back TCU HCs (Fran/Patterson) was all that appealing to BMAs however.

I think the last part is 100% accurate.
AggieBand2004
AG
Quote:

That Del Conte was able to convince Ohio State to leave Ohio to play a non-conference game in a stadium that seats less than 50,000 demonstrates the man's ability to sell; he could sell crack to a crack dealer.

What a load of crap.
Offering OSU a chance to play an average opponent in the recruiting hotbed of DFW? Not exactly something you'd have to twist their arms over.
aggiehawg
AG
Another thing about Patterson is that TCU ponied up the big bucks for him to hire and keep good coordinators for awhile. That coaching stability helps considerably in building a program.

Which, if you think about it, makes Saban's success all that more impressive. He has a revolving door at coordinators yet his system still continues to work year-in-year-out.
Flexbone
South Platte said:

BohunkAg said:

Wait...WHAT? Jimbo Fisher has a better record against better competition, more conference titles, and a national title. You're an idiot.
Flexbone
Quote:

51-27

Same as Sumlin's record...in the SEC West.
AggieBand2004
AG
South Platte said:

BohunkAg said:

Wow
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.